By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Offical NPD February 2010 Thread

Wow, the most interesting month in ages.

360 over Wii
Dante's Inferno PS3>360
Bioshock PS3 nowhere to be seen
Heavy Rain in the top 10
PS2 sees a huge increase

Around the Network

Yakuzaice said:

Wow, the most interesting month in ages.

360 over Wii
Dante's Inferno PS3>360
Bioshock PS3 nowhere to be seen
Heavy Rain in the top 10
PS2 sees a huge increase

Those two aren't that surprising.

If you'll notice... Dante's inferno for PS3 is listed as the Divine edition.

The PS3 version came with a bunch more stuff... it largely got ignored as being the superior version of the game though because console warriros were to busy bashing the game for being like the fully exclusive God of War.

http://kotaku.com/5423290/ps3-scores-exclusive-dantes-inferno-divine-edition

As for Bioshock 2 PS3...  Bioshock 1 PS3 didn't really sell well... so why would the sequel?

Everyone who bought it before mostly got it for 360 or PC.

Why would you then buy the sequal on the PS3 later?   Better to just go with the system you have the first on for a number of reasons.

You know, I'm not going to lie but I kinda thought something like this might arise. Working in retail, I've known the 3 products that severely supply constrained. One, PS3, although not as much as the next two. Seeing sales as high as they are right now is the only thing that surprises me. 2nd, the Wii, which I don't even think we have gotten shipments in of in the last month. Finally, the big one, Wii Fit Plus which is NOWHERE to be seen in the top 10 there.

So what that all really equals is more people getting a 360 because the competition just wasn't there. Congrats to Bioshock, but more congrats to Mario for almost taking another top spot in a month over new releases.

Put up my article...

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=7392

The absence of Wii Fit Plus and the fact that all systems (other than Wii in the Jan to Feb 2010 transition) rose from Jan to Feb in both 2009 and 2010 suggests to me that Wii would have been at 500k-550k this month with better supply.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network
TheSource said:

Put up my article...

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=7392

The absence of Wii Fit Plus and the fact that all systems (other than Wii in the Jan to Feb 2010 transition) rose from Jan to Feb in both 2009 and 2010 suggests to me that Wii would have been at 500k-550k this month with better supply.

Probably even higher, since January was also supply constrained for the Wii.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

The YOY increase for the 360 and Ps3 is a good sign for the video game industry. Hardware maybe down YOY in total but I look at that as a misleading indicator...Wii is down over 40% on supply issues and not a lack of demand. Ps3 could be closer to 360 but they can't get enough in stores either.

I find it hard to believe Sony is having a hard time actually keeping up with demand and is either holding inventory back to meet demand with FF and GOW or they are holding inventory back to control financial losses. I'm guessing it's the first option and will see a big March NPD for Sony, maybe over 450,000.

scat398 said:
The YOY increase for the 360 and Ps3 is a good sign for the video game industry. Hardware maybe down YOY in total but I look at that as a misleading indicator...Wii is down over 40% on supply issues and not a lack of demand. Ps3 could be closer to 360 but they can't get enough in stores either.

I find it hard to believe Sony is having a hard time actually keeping up with demand and is either holding inventory back to meet demand with FF and GOW or they are holding inventory back to control financial losses. I'm guessing it's the first option and will see a big March NPD for Sony, maybe over 450,000.

I wish.  We're two weeks into March and stock is still impossible to find anywhere.  We haven't recieved a shipment at my store since last week.

Though supposedly that new model is going to start popping up mid-March.  Hopefully it shows its face before God of War hits, but that's not looking likely given we're only five days out.  =/

makingmusic476 said:
scat398 said:

I wish.  We're two weeks into March and stock is still impossible to find anywhere.  We haven't recieved a shipment at my store since last week.

Though supposedly that new model is going to start popping up mid-March.  Hopefully it shows its face before God of War hits, but that's not looking likely given we're only five days out.  =/

Man that really surprises me.  Production must just not be up to full speed yet.

makingmusic476 said:
scat398 said:

Sony is about to fumble their chance to move a lot of hardware.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger