By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy 13 vs other JRPG's this gen

KillerMan said:
d21lewis said:
kowenicki said:
I did install LO... so maybe thats why I didnt get a SINGLE technical issue of any kind from my full play-through.

This.  I remember reading reviews after I beat the game (I always do that --I hate spoilers) and I read about all of the glitches.  They must have patched the game or something because for me, it ran flawlessly.

If I remember right most of the technical complaints were about insane loading times. When LO released there was no option to instal game to HDD.

I don't get why people complain about loading times. Yes, they are frequent, but they're not very long at all.

The loading time usually take me 3-5 seconds to complete and I haven't even installed the game to my hard drive.

Around the Network

wheres demons souls?? :O

FF13 isn't just the best JRPG this gen, but the best RPG this gen

Its the best FF since FF6 & FF10.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Xxain said:
BS is BS... FFXlll deserves to rated in 90's it just being a JRPG in western dominated Gen is tough so its unfairly judged

You can't blame the west for getting tired of playing the same type of game over and over again.

Seems like there have been great advancements in almost every genre this gen. However, JRPGs feel like the same crap we've been playing for years.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I always cringe when I see that LO rating. It was mostly due to poor reviews from the Japanese version that experienced longer loading times than the US version. LO is still my favorite JRPG this gen but I haven't picked up FF yet

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Xxain said:
BS is BS... FFXlll deserves to rated in 90's it just being a JRPG in western dominated Gen is tough so its unfairly judged

You can't blame the west for getting tired of playing the same type of game over and over again.

Seems like there have been great advancements in almost every genre this gen. However, JRPGs feel like the same crap we've been playing for years.

but what about FPS's there are more of them than anyother game this gen, its absolutley ridiculous, it seems like we are losing variety as gaming progresses.

also on point, it definately should be in the 90's but i think its just because EDGE mag reviewed it at 5/10 as brought the average down from what it should be, dicount that review and i think the rating goes upto about 89% or 91% i think which is much closer to what it actually is.

i haven't played many JRPG's this gen as not many seem to be making it to the UK, still waiting for Demon's Soul which looks amazing. Agarest was a major dissapointment and Star Ocean was alright but didnt grab me from the get go it was just sort of filler game to get me ready for FFXIII. However WRPG's have been less than numerous with the only decent ones being Dragon Age and Oblivion. RPG's as a genre is definitely losing against FPS which as i said early are ruling this gen.

This is by the way from a PS3 in the UK perspective it might be different on the X360 or in the states. 

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

Mr Puggsly said:
Xxain said:

I'm really getting tired of people justifying their dislike or not playing a game based on a 'review'.  If you don't like JRPGs, then just come out and say it.  Stop arguing over 'scores' or trying to whine over reviewers not giving JRPGs 'equal treatment'.  Reviewers have massive bias and are going to downscore JRPGs.  Just like reviewers in Japan are going to inflate the scores for RPGs in Japan.  Its a fact.  Just get over it.  And if you are trying to use review scores to justify that JRPGs are 'not evolving' or 'the same shit', then you have no case.  You're just repeating the same junk you've been hearing from the 'anti JRPG' crowd and reviewers of JRPGs.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

mitsuhide said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Xxain said:

but what about FPS's there are more of them than anyother game this gen, its absolutley ridiculous, it seems like we are losing variety as gaming progresses.

also on point, it definately should be in the 90's but i think its just because EDGE mag reviewed it at 5/10 as brought the average down from what it should be, dicount that review and i think the rating goes upto about 89% or 91% i think which is much closer to what it actually is.

i haven't played many JRPG's this gen as not many seem to be making it to the UK, still waiting for Demon's Soul which looks amazing. Agarest was a major dissapointment and Star Ocean was alright but didnt grab me from the get go it was just sort of filler game to get me ready for FFXIII. However WRPG's have been less than numerous with the only decent ones being Dragon Age and Oblivion. RPG's as a genre is definitely losing against FPS which as i said early are ruling this gen.

This is by the way from a PS3 in the UK perspective it might be different on the X360 or in the states. 

Well the east doesn't get tired of JRPGs and west doesn't get tired of shooters. What can I say? But I will defend shooters by saying they don't go on for 50 - 100 hours. The popular ones like Halo, CoD, and Gears are short and sweet. And a lot of people tend to buy them for the multiplayer experience. I can also say that the shooters are better than ever. The JRPGs feel about the same.

This is the first gen I can actually say that I've loved WRPGs. Mass Effect 1 & 2, Fallout 3 and Oblivion are fantastic. I just purchased Dragon's Age but I haven't played it yet. Fable 2 was also solid. But the great thing about WRPGs is they don't follow a basic formula like many JRPGs do.

Well I'm a 360 fan in the US, but I'm disappointed that the JRPGs of today don't feel much different than the games I've played over the last 15 years.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Xxain said:

I'm really getting tired of people justifying their dislike or not playing a game based on a 'review'.  If you don't like JRPGs, then just come out and say it.  Stop arguing over 'scores' or trying to whine over reviewers not giving JRPGs 'equal treatment'.  Reviewers have massive bias and are going to downscore JRPGs.  Just like reviewers in Japan are going to inflate the scores for RPGs in Japan.  Its a fact.  Just get over it.  And if you are trying to use review scores to justify that JRPGs are 'not evolving' or 'the same shit', then you have no case.  You're just repeating the same junk you've been hearing from the 'anti JRPG' crowd and reviewers of JRPGs.

Its not that I hate JRPGs, its just been a long time since I felt like I'm play something great. Bear in mind I still do play them, I have several on the 360, but I haven't completed because I lose interest. So I understand why they are getting low scores.

I reserve my opinions of FFXIII because I haven't played. But I will down the road. However, I disagree with the notion that JRPGs are getting lower scores because of a bias. I think reviewers are just tired of playing JRPGs that feel like games we've been playing for years.

Recently Completed

kowenicki said:
Gnizmo said:
kowenicki said:
LO and FFXIII deserve over 90.

I don't know if I would go that far. The game was definitely under-rated, but it had more than a handful of issues on the technical side. Still, one of the best JRPGs released this gen. I'd rank it second best behind Pokemon D/P/Pt personally.

LO had technical issues???

Tons. Long load times, screen tearing, framerate issues. Still a great game though.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.