By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Microsoft sells more than 90 million copies of Windows 7

Microsoft has announced that it has sold over 90 million copies of Windows 7 since its launch to manufacturers in July. The operating system, which went on sale to consumers in October, had sold 60 million copies by the end of January.

Peter Klein, Microsoft’s chief financial officer, made the disclosure during a presentation to the Morgan Stanley Media and Telecom Conference on March 2.

Figures from business customers, however, are looking rather less impressive: Mr Klein conceded that the segment has yet to take off, although that can be put down to historically more cautious IT managers in the commercial sector.

The Houses of Parliament has recently decided to update its computers to Windows Vista, because Windows 7 has yet to be fully tested in a “business critical” environment. But Microsoft says that it is seeing more businesses looking to upgrade to Windows 7 than it has previously seen at similar stages in the update cycle.

The arrival of the first service pack for Windows 7 will plug a range of minor bugs and offer a number of improvements, but is likely to be a further spur to businesses. The update is likely to be released sometime this year.

Source

Around the Network

I bought 7 64bit pro for only $67. Thank you MS for your school discounts.

so is this good or bad? it's hard to digest these numbers without a benchmark.

anecdotal: my company is moving to windows 7 this june-ish. we completely skipped vista for whatever reason but our IT seems happy enough with 7.

superchunk said:

I've gotten 4 copies of win7 pro, 32 or 64 bit for free from school. THeir MSDNAA agreements are absolutely amazing.

Sounds great can't compare it with older windows OS sales though considering I don't have the knowledge :s.

Around the Network

im going to buy a copy for my MacBook Pro
best of both worlds in my hands

Official Member of the Xbox 360 Squad 

mirgro said:
superchunk said:

I've gotten 4 copies of win7 pro, 32 or 64 bit for free from school. THeir MSDNAA agreements are absolutely amazing.

Nice. Yeah since I'm seeking an MBA vs a computer related degree I had to pay. Otherwise it would have been free. But, $67 is still quite a bargin.

Now THAT is an impressive number.

What were the sales of XP and/or Vista after not even a year?

That was fast xD

superchunk said:
mirgro said:
superchunk said:

Nice. Yeah since I'm seeking an MBA vs a computer related degree I had to pay. Otherwise it would have been free. But, $67 is still quite a bargin.

That depends on the school.  The University of Texas school systems have thier MS software at reduced prices for all degrees.  I got all the Office programs for under $50, when I went there for my MBA.

On topic - I've been running Win 7 at home since the first beta, and love it.