By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - God of War 3 has received a 10/10 in reviews by 15 critics

Maynard_Tool said:
Only Zelda Wii, or Mario Galaxy 2, would deserve to take the GOTY crown from Kratos this year

GOW 3 wont defeat Master Chief. LOL

Around the Network
disolitude said:
CGI-Quality said:
disolitude said:
I think god of war 3 is too short and shallow of an experience to win GOTY.

Since its all over within 10 hours with no sandbox to play in and no multiplayer...

But then again, Mario Gallaxy proves me otherwise.

I'm going to say this one more time: Bioshock was over in less than 10 hours, had no multipayer, and one GOTY in 2007. Having no multiplayer and 10 hours of game play =/= it isn't a contender for GOTY.

OT: It'll probably continue to get full 10's and high 9s. It seems the game has raised the bar for hack & slash action games and will defintely be considered for GOTY.

I guess you could be right but I thought Mario Galaxy took that year. If it was bioshock the im really scratching my head about how that happened...considering Bioshock was quite quickly forgotten while Halo 3 and COD MW dominated the playlists for years after.

Games that came out that year that had a bigger impact - Mario Galaxy, Mass Effect, Halo 3, MW, Uncharted (if only a prequel to the greatness that was to come with part 2)

CGI is correct, Bioshock won 46 awards that year while SMG won 42. 

http://gotypicks.blogspot.com/2008/12/2007-game-of-year.html

Really like that site, and it's the reason I always don't get why people talk as though there's only one GotY award to win, there are tons of them and I think both ME2 and GoW3 will win a good number, just won't have the majority because of placement in the year.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Maynard_Tool said:
Only Zelda Wii, or Mario Galaxy 2, would deserve to take the GOTY crown from Kratos this year

GOW 3 wont defeat Master Chief. LOL

You will see  my friend, you will see

S.T.A.G.E. said:
No game should get a 10/10 unless it is innovative. I learned this lesson after playing MGS4 and GTAIV.

only 2 games ? I thought the list would be longer.

Time to Work !

I'm sure that GoW III will win a few GoTY awards and to say that it won't because it got a lower meta score than ME2 is silly. Oh and the duration of the game doesn't really matter, I'd take an excellent short game over a long boring one anyday. Think about back in the SNES days, there were plenty of excellent games that were short and while I may not know for a fact, I'm sure alot of them won GoTY (Super Metroid, best game ever made is less than 4 hrs).

Around the Network
Torillian said:
disolitude said:
CGI-Quality said:
disolitude said:

Since its all over within 10 hours with no sandbox to play in and no multiplayer...

I'm going to say this one more time: Bioshock was over in less than 10 hours, had no multipayer, and one GOTY in 2007. Having no multiplayer and 10 hours of game play =/= it isn't a contender for GOTY.

OT: It'll probably continue to get full 10's and high 9s. It seems the game has raised the bar for hack & slash action games and will defintely be considered for GOTY.

I guess you could be right but I thought Mario Galaxy took that year. If it was bioshock the im really scratching my head about how that happened...considering Bioshock was quite quickly forgotten while Halo 3 and COD MW dominated the playlists for years after.

Games that came out that year that had a bigger impact - Mario Galaxy, Mass Effect, Halo 3, MW, Uncharted (if only a prequel to the greatness that was to come with part 2)

Really like that site, and it's the reason I always don't get why people talk as though there's only one GotY award to win, there are tons of them and I think both ME2 and GoW3 will win a good number, just won't have the majority because of placement in the year.

So it seems, thats just crazy to me...Mario Galaxy eats Bioshock for breakfast.

can we have round 2 this year? Mario galaxy 2 vs bioshock 2?

disolitude said:
Torillian said:
disolitude said:
CGI-Quality said:
disolitude said:

So it seems, thats just crazy to me...Mario Galaxy eats Bioshock for breakfast.

can we have round 2 this year? Mario galaxy 2 vs bioshock 2?

They're probably both going to have the same issue when it comes to reviews, being compared to the predecessor.  Bioshock 2 didn't do as great as the first and I don't think SMG2 will do as well as SMG either.  So it might end up that neither of those two games wins the majority of GotY awards.  I'm fairly sure SMG2 will win between the two of them though.

CGI-Quality said:
yo_john117 said:

Well that is pretty sweet for God of War, but there are a decent amount of games that have at least 15 critics giving it a 10/10.

And i seriously doubt this is a strong contender for GOTY.

Why? It's the most anticipated game this side of the year, and the biggest exclusive release in the first quarter. It, along with Mass Effect 2, Halo: Reach, & Zelda (if it releases this year) will all be GOTY Contenders.

looking back I realize I worded that wrong, what I meant to say was I don't think it will win the majority of GOTY awards, it will probably win quite a few but not the most imo.

CGI-Quality said:

10 hours?! Wow. You must've been really good at it then :P. It took me between 15-20 hours my first time through and most reviewers have it pegged at the same length. I'll agree that it isn't particularly long in the grand scheme of games (especially since it had no multiplayer - which for me doesn't really matter), but it was medium to long for the single player of an FPS.

God of War is being rated around 9-12 hours which is a fair bit shorter so that might work against it in terms of its number of GoTY acquisitions. But the nominations will surely be there as no one can deny the sheer quality of the game. Plus Bioshock was something different to the rest of the genre at the time of release. Not saying there was nothing like it before - System Shock- but nothing like it around its own release. God of War 3 is coming out around a plethora of other solid hack'n'slashers as well as being very similar in design to previous titles of the franchise. It looks to stand above them but it's still kinda crowded.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Maynard_Tool said:

The GOTY crown is on shepards head right now. Kratos tried, but failed. Maybe Link might have a shot with his bow, but I think the Masterchief might stuck shepard with a plasma-grenade. Sam Fisher, Alan Wake and Mario won't see the crown at all. That tells you what a great years 2010 is for gaming.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...