By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Synching trophies, why?

xrobx said:
i didn't read this thread but i actually like that you can wait to snyc them. reason being is because i have my facebook set up to put out notifications when i get trophies and if it did them one at a time it would be borderline spamming every couple minutes, whereas if it does it all at once in one post it's a lot less annoying.

I understand your thinking there (and I was even wrong about Facebook doing it automatically!) but in that case, it would still be nice to just have it as an option I can toggle.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
twesterm said:
jneul said:
I think someone has too much time on their hands, synchronizing trophies is not that bad, it's just like backing up your data on your PC, it is necessary, especially if you don't want to lose anything.

They are two totally different things though.

Syncing trophies isn't backing them up, it's syncing them with the Sony servers.  I don't really know how to say that more clearly.

And again it is not about time, it's merely about convenience.  There is absolutely no reason they don't automatically sync.

Why are people so quick to assume that having to manually sync all the time is the preferred way?  Are you against everything that only adds convenience and gets rid of unecessary tasks?  Do you get pissy when someone pulls out a fob keyless entry thing instead of placing the key in the door to unlock the door?

It just absolutely baffles me that people are so quick to defend Sony on this one.

I think people just like getting on your case about it.

If it were Outlawren or something I'm sure most people would just say  "Yep would be nice."  and that'd be it.

I suspected that's part of it too.  I guess it's alright to critisize anything related with Sony as long as you doubly praise them.

smbu2000 said:
Reasonable said:
Off topic - I'd note that no minor irritant like this comes close for me to the almost Universal 'press button X' to go to the main menu to actually then start or load games. That drives me mad (and the fact it seems to be transferring from consoles to PC versions of games (such as Mass Effect) is only making me madder). WTF do they do that? It's totally against 101 ease of use!

Well it's not quite universal, if you play any Japanese PS1/PS2/PS3 games then it's pretty much always the "O" button and the "X" button is to cancel. It gets really annoying when I keep switching between playing my US games and my JP games as the use of the X and O buttons are switched depending on what region's games I'm playing!

As for the OP: Having to sync manually is a really bad oversight on Sony's part, they should have just made the process automatic. My 360 achievements sync automatically, my Steam achievements sync automatically, even my other non-steam pc games sync achievements automatically (like Dragon Age:Origins). Why doesn't Sony do the same???

It feels almost Universal... but then annoying things do...

As I noted earlier, I believe the Sony OS/approach for PS3 is okay but they aren't as good at thinking through things like auto sync, download and install, etc.  They seem to break these kinds of tasks up into lots of little user triggered events.

It's nothing major, but clearly it would be more convieniet if Trophy's auto sync'd.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

I don't get it.

New to PS3 here and the trophy thing, but, I have a few trophies from flow and what is this sync thing and what happens if you don't do it?

superchunk said:
I don't get it.

New to PS3 here and the trophy thing, but, I have a few trophies from flow and what is this sync thing and what happens if you don't do it?

If you don't sync then no one online can see your trophies. However, if you look at them, then they sync.

Had I not looked at my own trophies, I never would have clocked 1 platinum for the VGChartz trophy league.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

what a crybaby. it does auto sync. it just does it when you do something that would cause you to view trophies. (view your profile, view a friend's profile, view available trophies for your games)

I think you are looking for anything at all to complain about

twesterm said:
Akvod said:
With Facebook, you MUST use the internet, with trophies you don't have to. In order to officially have your trophy on the network, rather than just your individual PS3, you have to sync it.

And that's the problem.  It's perfectly reasonable that if my PS3 isn't connected to the internet, my trophies aren't synced but if my PS3 is connected to the internet, they should automatically be synced at some point, not only when I look at them on my PS3.

Ajescent said:
i don't think trophy syncing can hamper games, can you elaborate?

I don't think they do, I'm not sure where you thought I said that but wherever it was that's not what I meant.  >_>

Sorry Twesterm, I was actually talking to ubefkiller, I thought that was obvious x_x

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

BradyBunch80 said:
what a crybaby. it does auto sync. it just does it when you do something that would cause you to view trophies. (view your profile, view a friend's profile, view available trophies for your games)

I think you are looking for anything at all to complain about

No, that would be this thread.

And since I don't really know anyone that's on my friends list (I get a lot of random requests, most I accept because I don't really care) I don't really compare trophies with them.

I compare achievements with friends all the time but funny enough I rarely do it through the 360, I usually do it on various websites.

I simply like to see my trophy card.  I know I don't have a lot of trophies or achievements, I simply like to show what games I'm playing and what progress I'm making in them.  Why would I have them in my sig if I didn't?

Ajescent said:
twesterm said:
Akvod said:
With Facebook, you MUST use the internet, with trophies you don't have to. In order to officially have your trophy on the network, rather than just your individual PS3, you have to sync it.

And that's the problem.  It's perfectly reasonable that if my PS3 isn't connected to the internet, my trophies aren't synced but if my PS3 is connected to the internet, they should automatically be synced at some point, not only when I look at them on my PS3.

Ajescent said:
i don't think trophy syncing can hamper games, can you elaborate?

I don't think they do, I'm not sure where you thought I said that but wherever it was that's not what I meant.  >_>

Sorry Twesterm, I was actually talking to ubefkiller, I thought that was obvious x_x

Ah, my bad, completely missed that.  >_>

I can only assume he was talking about the problem 2/29 problem, other than that, not sure if I've ever heard of any other errors like that.

i never sync, ps3 does it for me O.o