By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - DO NOT TURN ON YOUR FAT PS3 - date bug is majorly screwing up systems

NJ5 said:
joeorc said:

posted: in the response section of The CNN article:

March 1st, 2010 12:40 pm ET

From http://www.ign.com:
Might be old news, but thanks to a certain hardware/software guru, and from various of sources and efnet they are able to at least give the letdown why this problem is happening. Quoted.

Well the gist is that the ARM SYSCON CPU that is used to power up the front panel of the ps3, that is responsible for doing things like sleep mode, eject, RTC etc. Is an old batch that sony picked up from the shelf like other manufacturers that has that calendar year bug regarding feburary 29th on certain periods. Causing the ps3 system clock and the real time clock to desync, messing up security measures like Digital Rights management software and sometimes games that relies on clocks for whatever reason. As well as signing up to the playstation network... This CPU is always on even when your PS3 isn't plugged
This problem is also happening with various of test Ps3 models, particulary the ones that has the emotion engine cpu/gpu for ps2 dev.

This is the one of the same type of CPUs that is powering up mobile devices like zune and blackberries, they have been affected with this bug, so they done some software patches. A syscon update can also fix this problem

The Slims ps3s aren't affected because they use a newer up to date revision on the syscon cpu that fixes this bug.

A quick way to fix this is to remove the RTC battery for at least 5-10 min and plug it back in, you will see the date and time reset, and voila...

BTW all this was quoted from some ps3 hardware gurus and tested by various of peeps on efnet, all thanks to them for the information

One cannot wait to hear Sony's excuse for this one, They might play innocent for using off the shelve parts and blame manufacturers
Date Edited:3/1/2010 4:57:54 AM (2 edits total) edited by: Fishcake21

Could be correct, but I never heard of other devices stopping to work on March the 1st. Are there any reports of that happening?

I don't know that's why i posted that, IF the PS3 has such an ARM processor for that type of control, which not saying it does, for me I have never heard of the PS3 having one of these ARM processor's inside the PS3. and with many teardown's and myself including taking apart one. I have not seen the PS3 with an ARM core on the Mobo or anywhere attached to it. though that could be Chip's that have not been identified yet. there are still some that have no marking's other than a series of number's and that mainly be only Sony chip's. but we have not IDEA.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
gamelover2000 said:
kowenicki said:
gamelover2000 said:
kowenicki said:
gamelover2000 said:
kowenicki said:
Sony has sold more than 30 million old-style PlayStation 3s since 2006

Wow... PS3 undertracked much :O

wtf is that?  where is that from?

So you don't even read the things you post? its the thing you just posted lmfao..

its an irrelevant part of ths story... it didnt even register.

Only a Sony fan woud see that and immediately react as you did.... in the middle of this shit storm

LMFAO

Someone feels BUTTHURT.. xD

anyway it was just a joke.. dont take it so HARD!

The problem is not as BIG as some are making it out to be

I hope this problem doesn't last LONG

Very far from butthurt.... just laughing at all the panic damage control... its funny. 

Then I remember my PS3 is FUCKED as we speak... not happy.

Touchè xD

Doubt it is FUCKED though :P I can play pretty much every game still (including most trophy games) and if the fix is available in 24hrs we should all be fine..

Currently playing: MAG, Heavy Rain, Infamous

Getting Plat trophies for: Heavy Rain, Infamous, RE5,  Burnout and GOW collection once I get it.

gamelover2000 said:
kowenicki said:
gamelover2000 said:
kowenicki said:
gamelover2000 said:
kowenicki said:
gamelover2000 said:
kowenicki said:
Sony has sold more than 30 million old-style PlayStation 3s since 2006

Wow... PS3 undertracked much :O

wtf is that?  where is that from?

So you don't even read the things you post? its the thing you just posted lmfao..

its an irrelevant part of ths story... it didnt even register.

Only a Sony fan woud see that and immediately react as you did.... in the middle of this shit storm

LMFAO

Someone feels BUTTHURT.. xD

anyway it was just a joke.. dont take it so HARD!

The problem is not as BIG as some are making it out to be

I hope this problem doesn't last LONG

Very far from butthurt.... just laughing at all the panic damage control... its funny. 

Then I remember my PS3 is FUCKED as we speak... not happy.

Touchè xD

Doubt it is FUCKED though :P I can play pretty much every game still (including most trophy games) and if the fix is available in 24hrs we should all be fine..

Good luck with that, I'm not risking killing all my game saves and I wouldn't advise anyone else does personally.

joeorc said:

I don't know that's why i posted that, IF the PS3 has such an ARM processor for that type of control, which not saying it does, for me I have never heard of the PS3 having one of these ARM processor's inside the PS3. and with many teardown's and myself including taking apart one. I have not seen the PS3 with an ARM core on the Mobo or anywhere attached to it. though that could be Chip's that have not been identified yet. there are still some that have no marking's other than a series of number's and that mainly be only Sony chip's. but we have not IDEA.

I searched and I saw very few references to SYSCON, and all the references to "arm syscon cpu" were the same quotes related to this PS3 problem. So I'm doubting it as well.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

http://www.ps3gen.fr/forums/regler-le-bug-de-l-an-2010-nous-meme-t38049.html

french solution to solve the problem BY YOURSELF

(warranty will be destroyed of course)

indeed, they just put out /put in the "clock battery" to reinitialise the clock ...

Time to Work !

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
joeorc said:

I searched and I saw very few references to SYSCON, and all the references to "arm syscon cpu" were the same quotes related to this PS3 problem. So I'm doubting it as well.

me too, The reason I posted that because I have not identified certain chip's on the PS3 and Maybe someone here has. I did not think so , because I had a gut feeling Sony did not use Arm chip's in the PS3, even though I did not identify all the Cpi's i very much doubt it, why:

because it would be overkill for what little function's that Arm chip would be capable of. it's overkill, and I doubt very much they would be using an xburst or something like that so going far back as say 2004 i doubt it even more. Like I stated I could be wrong because Like I SAID i have not identified all the chip's on the Mobo yet. and Most likely will never be able to because some of them are most likely Sony only chip's.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

kowen, can you tone it down a little bit?

some gifs incoming...

That Sony timer thing is a crock of shit.

That is a pretty funny gif there sully.