By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kratos is such a lame character

Khuutra said:
Twesterm that cliff-jumping was both the opening and the ending to the first God of War.

Again: you are not in a position to judge this based on .gifs!

Now if Naz said it he'd be harder to dismiss because he's played the games (somewhat)

Even Naz likes God of War now. Kratos...I'm not sure.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
qmoney88 said:
twesterm said:
Scoobes said:
Well... in terms of depth and just genrally being original most video game character are lame as they're generally very one dimensional:

Master Chief? lame
Marcus Fenix? lame
Lara Croft? lame (although the models and Angelina Jolie are hot)
The Prince? lame
Most Final Fantasy characters? generic and lame
Duke Nukem? funny, perverted, but still lame
Nathan Drake? interesting and funny, but fairly generic
Every character in Resident Evil? lame

If you want an interesting character play Planescape Torment or a Bioware game.

But at least those lame/generic characters change things up.

From what I seeonly in random trailers, gifs, advertisements, ect:

• Master Chief has multiplayer, shoots guns, and drives vehicles.
  • Fenix has multiplayer, has a chainsaw, shoots guns, and at least tries to have something other than super macho-man xtreme attitude
  • Lara Croft...
  • The Prince (I don't actually play or pay attention to these games >_>)
  • Final Fantasy characters - agree, but at least there are a lot of them so they spread out the bad
  • Duke Nukem - kicks ass, is funny
  • Nathan Drake - platforms, shoots, like a movie
  • Resident Evil - atmosphere, shooting, story
  • God of War - he's always brutal

I think the only time I haven't seen Kratos do burtal stuff was around when God of War II came out and he was trying to kill himself by jumping off a cliff or something like that.  In that one time I actually heard more than grunts and killing!  Other than that, it's ripping guys heads off, ripping their nails off, cutting through them, same ol, same ol.

It's actually sad that any other character from any other game doing any of the things Kratos does on a regular basis would be bad-ass but since it's all Kratos does when he does it, it just seems boring.

Those other above characters may be able to be simplified into simple one dimensional things, but at least they have some sort of variety and that's what I'm getting at. 

Any time anything God of War is mentioned, it's only Kratos being brutal.  Unless you played  and loved the game, you have no reason to assume he's anything other than boring and lame.  Why would I want to play a game that every advertisement about it makes me think he's boring?

If we go by the characters you mentioned above describing "variety" (almost everyone on that list either shoots, shoots some more or shoots and jumps, shoots and drives, shoots and has a story, shoots shoots shoots)  Kratos solves puzzles, has plenty of platforming sequences, scale unlike any other game, does have a story that can be interesting if you let it, is brutal on top of all of that but is much deeper than you're making it out to be.  With this post you completely discredited your opinion if you believe that these games have more variety than god of war, the many different weapons, magic and tools at kratos' disposal provide plenty of variety to the combat if you decide to utilize them, and going off of the interview on gttv sounds like youll need to utilize more than just kratos' blades this time around.

Show me a trailer, advertisement, random animated gif that shows me all that please.  I don't remember any for the first two games or Chains of Olympus and everything I have seen of God of War III leads me to believe the same (even though I know it will have those).

I disagree... I think it makes him more human, in that we see the brutality, but we can also see the anguish from his past. He's a very harden, but it's for several reasons that drives his revenge and his own penance. I think he is a brilliant character and his look is very fitting for the game.

IMO, I think the Master Chief is very uninspiring and generic. :O

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

If this was they way you looked at every game, then it becomes extremely easy to sum up the majority of every games experience and make it possible to make any game that has ever come out sound generic and bland. Here we go; Mass Effect 2-shoot shit, answer questions, Uncharted 2-shoot shit, climb shit, Modern warfare 2-shoot shit, Bioshock 2-shoot shit, use powers, Heavy rain-choose answers, qte's, Mag-shoot shit, cooperate, see how that works?

PROUD MEMBER OF THE  PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Saying that Kratos is only brutal and has no variety but then backing your opinion up with items that other characters use instead of describing what makes their personalities more interesting also makes absolutely 0 sense and leads me to believe that you have never played god of war before therefore rendering this entire thread useless. Do yourself a favor and at least play the first two before you try criticizing anything about god of war or any other game for that matter.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
qmoney88 said:
twesterm said:
Scoobes said:
Well... in terms of depth and just genrally being original most video game character are lame as they're generally very one dimensional:

Master Chief? lame
Marcus Fenix? lame
Lara Croft? lame (although the models and Angelina Jolie are hot)
The Prince? lame
Most Final Fantasy characters? generic and lame
Duke Nukem? funny, perverted, but still lame
Nathan Drake? interesting and funny, but fairly generic
Every character in Resident Evil? lame

If you want an interesting character play Planescape Torment or a Bioware game.

But at least those lame/generic characters change things up.

From what I seeonly in random trailers, gifs, advertisements, ect:

• Master Chief has multiplayer, shoots guns, and drives vehicles.
  • Fenix has multiplayer, has a chainsaw, shoots guns, and at least tries to have something other than super macho-man xtreme attitude
  • Lara Croft...
  • The Prince (I don't actually play or pay attention to these games >_>)
  • Final Fantasy characters - agree, but at least there are a lot of them so they spread out the bad
  • Duke Nukem - kicks ass, is funny
  • Nathan Drake - platforms, shoots, like a movie
  • Resident Evil - atmosphere, shooting, story
  • God of War - he's always brutal

I think the only time I haven't seen Kratos do burtal stuff was around when God of War II came out and he was trying to kill himself by jumping off a cliff or something like that.  In that one time I actually heard more than grunts and killing!  Other than that, it's ripping guys heads off, ripping their nails off, cutting through them, same ol, same ol.

It's actually sad that any other character from any other game doing any of the things Kratos does on a regular basis would be bad-ass but since it's all Kratos does when he does it, it just seems boring.

Those other above characters may be able to be simplified into simple one dimensional things, but at least they have some sort of variety and that's what I'm getting at. 

Any time anything God of War is mentioned, it's only Kratos being brutal.  Unless you played  and loved the game, you have no reason to assume he's anything other than boring and lame.  Why would I want to play a game that every advertisement about it makes me think he's boring?

If we go by the characters you mentioned above describing "variety" (almost everyone on that list either shoots, shoots some more or shoots and jumps, shoots and drives, shoots and has a story, shoots shoots shoots)  Kratos solves puzzles, has plenty of platforming sequences, scale unlike any other game, does have a story that can be interesting if you let it, is brutal on top of all of that but is much deeper than you're making it out to be.  With this post you completely discredited your opinion if you believe that these games have more variety than god of war, the many different weapons, magic and tools at kratos' disposal provide plenty of variety to the combat if you decide to utilize them, and going off of the interview on gttv sounds like youll need to utilize more than just kratos' blades this time around.

Show me a trailer, advertisement, random animated gif that shows me all that please.  I don't remember any for the first two games or Chains of Olympus and everything I have seen of God of War III leads me to believe the same (even though I know it will have those).

Watch the episode of gttv that aired last night, or better yet just play the damn game.  What does it matter if a video of a game doesnt show everything?  They need to keep some things under wraps or else there are no surprises left and some people will opt not to buy the game anymore, but from what weve been shown Im fairly certain theres been a bit more variety then what youre making it out to be.  Do you think modern warfare is lame because every video shows a guy with a gun? 

twesterm said:

There you go again with the trailers/advertisment/GIFs thing.

Go on, I challenge you to find a trailer of Marcus Fenix, or Master Chief, or Dante, or the Prince, picking daisies, or doing the can-can, or whatever else it is you expect them to do. The Mad World Gears trailer is considered an excellent one (and it is), and what is it? A big guy running down a street and shooting a giant monster. How one-dimensional that is.

The simple fact is that these people are action heroes. They are marketed as such because that is what they are. Kratos is marketed as a badass because he is a badass. Greek mythology is violent. Kratos is violent. The presentation of violence is one aspect in which GoW is head and shoulders above most game series, so that is what Sony wants to advertise.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kasz216 said:
Euphoria14 said:
Kasz216 said:
Euphoria14 said:
Kasz216 said:
Euphoria14 said:
Kasz216 said:

300 was a very lame movie as well.

Really though, the death of his family doesn't even really effect Kratos anymore.  He doesn't give a shit about them, all he cares about is that HE was wronged.

Dude is having sex minigames... and when he gets the power to go back in time he decides he'd rather kill the gods... rather then say... go back in time and save his families life.

You're actually selling short the one interesting point of Kratos character.  He doesn't really care about anyone but himself and still doesn't.

I think the most interested point about Kratos is that he is awesome.

That in no way makes sense.

For me it makes perfect sense.

It just doesn't make sense to you.

No... that just doesn't make sense at all. It's like saying you like Die hard because Die Hard is great. It holds no context.

Yes, it does.

The guy rips off heads, the guy stabs harpy's and hop from one to another to get across gaps, the guy rips of Icarus' wings and uses them for himself, the guy escapes hell multiple times, the guy takes down gods.

I really don't really need to sit here and explain myself though.

Die Hard is great because it has shooting, explosions and Bruce Willis.

Friday The 13th is awesome just because it is brutal.

Which you know... is CONTEXT. If you just said "I like diehard because it's AWESOME" people would have no clue what that means... and would be a meaningless statement.

I felt no need to explain what has already been mentioned numerous times in this thread, including a lengthy post by myself about why Kratos is the way he is.

My context was already there.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
Kasz216 said:
Euphoria14 said:
Kasz216 said:
Euphoria14 said:
Kasz216 said:
Euphoria14 said:
Kasz216 said:

300 was a very lame movie as well.

Really though, the death of his family doesn't even really effect Kratos anymore.  He doesn't give a shit about them, all he cares about is that HE was wronged.

Dude is having sex minigames... and when he gets the power to go back in time he decides he'd rather kill the gods... rather then say... go back in time and save his families life.

You're actually selling short the one interesting point of Kratos character.  He doesn't really care about anyone but himself and still doesn't.

I think the most interested point about Kratos is that he is awesome.

That in no way makes sense.

For me it makes perfect sense.

It just doesn't make sense to you.

No... that just doesn't make sense at all. It's like saying you like Die hard because Die Hard is great. It holds no context.

Yes, it does.

The guy rips off heads, the guy stabs harpy's and hop from one to another to get across gaps, the guy rips of Icarus' wings and uses them for himself, the guy escapes hell multiple times, the guy takes down gods.

I really don't really need to sit here and explain myself though.

Die Hard is great because it has shooting, explosions and Bruce Willis.

Friday The 13th is awesome just because it is brutal.

Which you know... is CONTEXT. If you just said "I like diehard because it's AWESOME" people would have no clue what that means... and would be a meaningless statement.

I felt no need to explain what has already been mentioned numerous times in this thread, including a lengthy post by myself about why Kratos is the way he is.

My context was already there.

Not really the case... but I don't feel like argueing to much more over it.

Kantor said:
twesterm said:

There you go again with the trailers/advertisment/GIFs thing.

Go on, I challenge you to find a trailer of Marcus Fenix, or Master Chief, or Dante, or the Prince, picking daisies, or doing the can-can, or whatever else it is you expect them to do. The Mad World Gears trailer is considered an excellent one (and it is), and what is it? A big guy running down a street and shooting a giant monster. How one-dimensional that is.

The simple fact is that these people are action heroes. They are marketed as such because that is what they are. Kratos is marketed as a badass because he is a badass. Greek mythology is violent. Kratos is violent. The presentation of violence is one aspect in which GoW is head and shoulders above most game series, so that is what Sony wants to advertise.