By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Tretton: "we are in the first 25% to 30% of this generation"

RAZurrection said:
joeorc said:

you make them out before you start something.

when they say 10 year's they mean it .

3 year's out of 10 = 30%

Well the PS3's closer to 3.5 years old. While that might be what they're implying it's just another "just give it more time" excuse and it's getting old.

After all, if the PS3 is going to last 10 years like the PSone & PS2, should we expect a PS4 by year 5 or 6?

well not everywhere had the PS3 released in all region's back in 2006,

remember in the  UK it's march 2007.

they expect the new system in 4 or 5 year's is because Sony tend's to release a new system mid way point of the current system, though this system is not even iin its midway point yet. but that never stop's the current system from not selling even when the PS2 The PS1 was still selling ans also the PLAYSTATION is on a 10 year cycle.

that what their Business plan is for.

give it more time excuse is more valid than you may think, before the previous generation all developemnt was single core in right now the PS3 is a multi-core system, and not just a multi-core that developer's have had year's of experience with.

outside of Sony many developer did not have the developemnt kit's until 2006 and 2007,

abnd that does not include when the PS3's cell processor was first released to 3rd parties, the prototype was jun 2005

cramming development from the onset was like giving a crash course in development for a unique processor that this being the first time you layed eye's one let alone had the information about the processor.

look at Uncharted 2, look at sucker punch, insomniac would you say the software they made for the PS3 was pretty good this generation?

but on the same token would you say all 3rd party's had a project that came out on the PS3 that was as good if not better?

fallout 3 was a great 3rd party game for the ps3 and xbox360 but not all 3rd party developer's have had the experience with the PS3 hadware as much as other's.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network
wholikeswood said:
joeorc said:
wholikeswood said:
Bamboleo said:
A random employee says something randomly positive about the company that pays his salary.

What a cliché

Jack Tretton is the President and CEO of SCEA.

Hardly just a "random employee"...

yup, but sometime's I bet he would like nothing better but have less responsibility than he has now .

headache's galore..

Maybe a year ago, but Sony are on the up now (just). The focus on profitability is slowly starting to show results.

Sony said the target date release for the PS3 ..notice that was target 2006 normaly that would have mean 2007

mainly because with Sony and release they tend to be off. but I think because of Microsoft's support of HD DVD because of IHD forced Sony's hand to release early.

Hey it was smart for Microsoft to do that no doubt but the PS3 would have been better off with that extra year. to mature the system, but Blu-Ray was a big investment for Sony they have been investing since 1997 into Blu-Ray. they put out the first Blu-Ry recorder onto the asian market in 2003, Sony just did not have any choice.

but even though they took a big hit this generation they I think are better prepaired for the next generation of machine's.

An I am not implying that they are better prepaired more than Microsoft. no I am just saying they are going to be better off as the generation goes and even into the new system's when a new cycle start's because the new system will have overall a upgrade, but no way near the upgrade that the PS3 had over the PS2, the new machine most likely will not  have the 40 fold increase that the PS3 has over the PS2.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

joeorc said:

the expect the new system in 4 or 5 year's is because Sony tend's to release a new system mid way point of the current system, though this system is not even iin its midway point yet.

So if the PS3 has a 10 year lifespan and we should expect its successor at the mid-way point and the PS3 is about mid-way through it's 4th year, we should expect it end of next year, by their own definitions.

joeorc said:

give it more time excuse is more valid than you may think, before the previous generation all developemnt was single core in right now the PS3 is a multi-core system, and not just a multi-core that developer's have had year's of experience with.

Uh a number of developers and Sonys own first parties are saying they maxed the system out, don't be naive.

joeorc said:

outside of Sony many developer did not have the developemnt kit's until 2006 and 2007,

Baloney.

joeorc said:

abnd that does not include when the PS3's cell processor was first released to 3rd parties, the prototype was jun 2005

So devs had it for 18 months before launch, but also didn't have them in 2007? Oh cripes.

joeorc said:

at Uncharted 2, look at sucker punch, insomniac would you say the software they made for the PS3 was pretty good this generation?

They all seem to be filler except for Uncharted 2. No their output has been very poor, suckerpunch and Naughty Dog have made fewer games this gen, only insomniac have made more, but their quality suffered also.

De85 said:
gurglesletch said:
Dampfi said:
Carl2291 said:
So, both Sony and Microsoft want the generation to last for a long time.

Great news!

In theory, this sounds great, but at the end of the day, it is on the customer to decide.

Not really. The customer cannot force them to make a next gen console.

Um, yes really.  You'd better believe that if consumers stop buying PS3's then sony will scramble to put something else out there.

What else is there to buy besides the current consoles? The consumers would either have to buy those or go gameless.

coolbeans said:
Is Sony sure they were the first to introduce motion gaming? I recall older models of motion gaming but I'm not sure whether they're prototypes or not.

Nintendo came out with the power glove back in the NES days.....but there probably was one more before that also.

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

Around the Network
joeorc said:
WilliamWatts said:
joeorc said:
WilliamWatts said:
I love how he talks about the importance of technology for the PS3 games, then says how futuristic the console was at launch and then patently ignores the newer technologies out there. I also love how he says 25-30% of the console life is done, love the hyperbole because im still doubting they will be releasing games that make it 'the year of the PS3' in 2014 because they'll have a PS4 by then.

if anything that would be the thing sony is not known to ignore they have the

ps2

the psp

and the PS3 already on the market all at the same time, they are not ignoring it, one thing is would it matter even if the next ps4 come's out if the PS3 happen's to get the same game as the PS4 , yes with lower resolution maybe less textures, but if indeed the PS3 would get the game also would that matter to many people as long as they get to play the game.

just look at the ps3 and xbox360 ver of the Final Fantasy XIII even with the slight thing's that someone can nitpick about the xbox360 ver does it matter many people will still buy the game. and if people keep getting game's some gamer's will still be happy, even though the PS2 was dated and the number of game's that released for japan were greater than the number of game's released for the PS2 in other region's were less the PS2 still sold well even today it's still selling. an that's with the ps2 region locked, the ps3 is not, so there is an advantage of no region lock going for the PS3 over the PS2.

What support is the PS2 getting from Sony developers? You can expect the same support from Sony that far into its life too. They are ignoring the PS3 and they are barely supporting the PSP. It should be getting twice the number of first party games its getting presently given the size of their 1st party and the fact that they take 1/4 the resources of a full PS3 games.

When it comes to a next generation console, a console which is released today for the same price as the PS3 probably would have a fairly significant edge in terms of performance even if it cost the same to produce.

huh? have we been on 2 completely seperate playstation 3 system's?

it's only 3 year's into the life cycle of the PS3. right off the bat one of the big staple's was the "ps3 has not game's" can that realy be said about the PS3 today?

come on do you realy think that sony is ignoring the PSP or the PS3?

In my opinion your just being rather silly.

there is the problem is it not  where is the project resources put forth, we do not know where all their developer's are at on project's ? for all we know some may have had to take a break after working on game's like Killzone 2 and needed the break, the developer's are not cow's they just cannot churn out butter at the drop of a hat..

we do not know, Sony is not Microsoft or Nintendo, trying to compare each developer's from each company are pointless , because each and ever developer is not the same.

that is if the next generation system would be released for the same price?

even Nintendo charged more for the DSi over the DS lite, the PSPGo cost's more than the PSP, the XBOX360 elite cost's more than the xbox360 arcade.

even though it may cost the same to produce would it be the same price?

I would say not very likely.

PS1 -> PS2 they killed 1st party support for the PS1 after the PS2 was released.

PS2 -> PS3 they killed 1st party support for the PS2 after the PS3 was released.

They have always kept the systems on the market and cashed in but they have never really supported them. So for the same reason why people say the PS3 will last 10 years I will say the PS3 will get no support for those last few years. If 3rd parties don't oblige then the system is dead. I don't call a crapload of singstar titles and a few other titles anything like support. Their #1 selling, still in "10 year lifecycle" PS2 is getting hardly anything. If thats the precedent then they'll drop the PS3 like a sack of bricks as soon as the PS4 is out.

RAZurrection said:

joeorc said:

the expect the new system in 4 or 5 year's is because Sony tend's to release a new system mid way point of the current system, though this system is not even iin its midway point yet.

So if the PS3 has a 10 year lifespan and we should expect its successor at the mid-way point and the PS3 is about mid-way through it's 4th year, we should expect it end of next year, by their own definitions. it's not Quite that simple: mid way through it's 4 year every where  the problem is if they do release it would have to be a staggered release because not every region recieved the ps3 at the same time.

joeorc said:

Uh a number of developers and Sonys own first parties are saying they maxed the system out, don't be naive. saying something is Maxed is not the same as that they the developer  have all the SPE's running all thread's, and that there is no more way's they can optimize the game engine to get better results You can max it's hardware running at the same time but the system will not be 100% fully optimized, which you can never truely do. it wouild take too much time., one only has to read what developer's suckerpunch and naughty dog have to say about that, and I have some experience about that also.

joeorc said:

Baloney.

no it's 100% the truth, did you not se when was the first prototype for the ps3 cell processor shown jun 2005!

this in 2005

"Kutaragi surprised the crowd by revealing that, to date, only 450 PS3 dev kits have been shipped worldwide."

joeorc said:

So devs had it for 18 months before launch, but also didn't have them in 2007? Oh cripes.

"Sony plans to release an additional 200 units in August and 300 more in September, but most developers probably will have to wait until October, when the company will ramp up its production to 3,000 units per month. For the time being though, Kutaragi admitted that the current shortage is a problem. "We've been getting a lot of requests from developers since E3 that they want more development kits for the PS3," he said. "The demand for the kits has gone beyond what we can handle. We've been discussing what we can do about it.""

the had shortages of development kit's

joeorc said:

at Uncharted 2, look at sucker punch, insomniac would you say the software they made for the PS3 was pretty good this generation?

They all seem to be filler except for Uncharted 2. No their output has been very poor, suckerpunch and Naughty Dog have made fewer games this gen, only insomniac have made more, but their quality suffered also.

filler? i will just leave it at that, you negative nancy/ just kidding

I AM BOLO

ps:

While it is entirely possible that Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft could put off releasing a new console for a couple of years, realistically one of them is likely to decide that their long term prosperity is best suited by releasing new hardware and the rest will follow suit. Basically, by the end of 2010 as much hardware will have been sold in this generation as was sold in the previous generation, and most of the people who owned a previous generation console will own a current generation console. This (essentially) puts the generation in a new phase where the console manufacturers are in more direct competition, and it is likely that one of the manufacturers will see releasing new hardware as the best way to take consumers away from their competition.

kowenicki said:
hang on... let me type that again... it seemed odd the first time.

so he thinks this gen will last until somewhere between 2018 and 2023...

nope.... no change... still sounds utterly idiotic.

Anything that's Sony related,you just love to always find the negative in it.

10 yr Plan. PS3 is 3 yrs old. 3 is 30% of 10. Remember the gen started when Sony said so. /Thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.