By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Tretton: "we are in the first 25% to 30% of this generation"

HappySqurriel said:

While it is entirely possible that Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft could put off releasing a new console for a couple of years, realistically one of them is likely to decide that their long term prosperity is best suited by releasing new hardware and the rest will follow suit. Basically, by the end of 2010 as much hardware will have been sold in this generation as was sold in the previous generation, and most of the people who owned a previous generation console will own a current generation console. This (essentially) puts the generation in a new phase where the console manufacturers are in more direct competition, and it is likely that one of the manufacturers will see releasing new hardware as the best way to take consumers away from their competition.

Direct competition over whom? An expanded market? An untapped market? Each others audiences? Could you please clarify, im interested in your perspective here.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

While it is entirely possible that Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft could put off releasing a new console for a couple of years, realistically one of them is likely to decide that their long term prosperity is best suited by releasing new hardware and the rest will follow suit. Basically, by the end of 2010 as much hardware will have been sold in this generation as was sold in the previous generation, and most of the people who owned a previous generation console will own a current generation console. This (essentially) puts the generation in a new phase where the console manufacturers are in more direct competition, and it is likely that one of the manufacturers will see releasing new hardware as the best way to take consumers away from their competition.

the Question would they take that Risk?

we are in a recession right now, not to mention the PS3 an the xbox360 or the Wii has yet to reduce their price point to where say the $149.00 price is, or the $99.00 price point, if the companies were going to release early why not just release ARC and NATAL as a main product to push the next system over these. the big problem aside of most likely Nintendo , is these system's are pretty good system's and people still feel they are too new:

what I mean there is nowhere in the short run that make's sense to release a whole new system when the recession being how it is, people are loosing their house, you cannot play a game console if you have no house to put it in., If anything there will be less of a reason for people to upgrade this soon, many people still think of these system's as still new system's not everyone went out and bought the xbox360 for $299.00 and $399.00 off the batt just lke $499.00 and $599.00 PS3.

since the system's all has downloadable game's , and content what will the new system's have over these system in say a year or two from now that will be such a wide upgrade that would make the developer's drop these system's and go over too the other system's.

not much of an increase are the new systems going to be over these as there are of these system's over the previous system's the leap in the next two year's is not going to great enough at a reduced price that the companies like microsoft or sony or nintendo is going to offer that would dry up the sale's of current machine's.

say if there is new system's get released in 2011

what will the leve of the graphic's be over these current system's, the only one i can see get a big jump would be the Nintendo Wii but then again , that still would be sold for a premium over the cost of the Wii, and the Wii would still be selling.

it's just not worth releasing that soon In my OPINION.

mainly the recession has done that more than anything though.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Signalstar said:
10 yr Plan. PS3 is 3 yrs old. 3 is 30% of 10. Remember the gen started when Sony said so. /Thread.

so when did the generation start for Sony?

because  of another company releases their product first mean's the new generation start's, or how about say i drop support in two year's after I release a system then 2 other companies release their system than I release a whole new system, does that mean a new generation started because i cut my product short?

you see how silly that is

the new generation started for them when they said it does.

because they cannot start a new generartion of playstation with out putting out a new playstation

they are talking about their product.,

what other product are they going to talk about ?

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Fine by me, i dont want to buy a new xbox or playstation any time soon.

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Fine by me, i dont want to buy a new xbox or playstation any time soon.

I think many people feel the same way, Me included..the recession is hitting many people very hard.

with unemployment still very high.

I think, even Sony and Microsoft know that the risk would be pretty high right now to release a whole  new system.

when slight upgrade's like extra harddrive space , pack in more incentive's to buy the current system, you get a boost in sale's without the big risk.

that trend I think is going to keep going, look at how many SKU's there has been released.

nintendo

sony

microsoft

quite a number of bundle's

I AM BOLO

ps:

Around the Network
jesus kung fu magic said:
coolbeans said:
Is Sony sure they were the first to introduce motion gaming? I recall older models of motion gaming but I'm not sure whether they're prototypes or not.

Nintendo came out with the power glove back in the NES days.....but there probably was one more before that also.

Actually Nintendo didn't make the Power Glove.

I'm pretty sure they did make the better working... yet crappy... i forget the name... something force.

It was kinda like Natal in that you control with your hands.

He is of course refering to the old statement that PS3 will have 10 year lifetime. I think PS3 with decent support till 2016 is realistic, but new consoles will arrive before that. Probably in 2012 or 2013. PS3 sales be at its highest late next year, then decline.

kilik said:

He is of course refering to the old statement that PS3 will have 10 year lifetime. I think PS3 with decent support till 2016 is realistic, but new consoles will arrive before that. Probably in 2012 or 2013. PS3 sales be at its highest late next year, then decline.

here is a Question will the recession end by that Time? i doubt it very much

which is bigger risk putting out a new system, or continue putting out new bundles with some thing's added in like a Arc or Natal

the new system I think would not be a good Idea to release sooner rather than later, the longer they hold off the less of a risk they will be taking.

I think that is what Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo are watching for right now some real sign of the recession letting up.

I AM BOLO

ps:

jesus kung fu magic said:
leo-j said:
Wow neoraf your posts are the best pieces of work I've seen on this site

The best piece of work ive seen on this site  is someone suggesting that GT PSP looked better than forza 3.......do you know who posted that leo?

But it's the truth if you wear Sony glasses.

Neoraf said:
Erisian said:
Why so keen for next-gen? are your gaming needs so unfulfilled that you seek fresh novelty? It really comes across that way, to be honest.

Yes.
5 years with the same tech is long enough.

In 1990, after playing 5 years with my NES, I wanted Super Nintendo to release ASAP. Had to wait until 1991.

After playing 4 years with my Super Nintendo, I couldn't wait anymore for next-gen (In 1995, got the first next-gen system available: the Sega Saturn (the Panasonic 3DO wasn't really a console, more like a very high-priced prototype)) .

After playing 4 years into this gen (Saturn+Nintendo64), I WANTED SO MUCH TO GRASP THE NEXT-GEN TECHNOLOGY delivered by the awesome Dreamcast. (bought it in 1999) + Xbox in 2001.

After playing 6 long years with my (Xbox/Dreamcast), I bought the Microsoft Xbox 360 in 2005.

See the trend?
New technology never come too soon.

Then how come you don't have a gaming PC?

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!