By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Something I don't understand about Assassin's Creed 2 DRM complaints

for online games,
but this offline game,action/story based, u dont need a connection to play it.

Comparing it to WoW it's lame, since WOW its a online game, it require to be connected to play it,

AC2 doesn't have any online component other than DRM.

Around the Network
blaydcor said:
twesterm said:
blaydcor said:
So if you were held up at gunpoint, it wouldn't really matter as long as the robber was polite and upfront about it? Nobody care's about them being upfront; it's the inconvenience and intrusiveness of such a measure. Plus what if you want to play it on a laptop away from home? There are plenty of scenarios that could end up being much more of hassle then ''losing 10-15 minutes of progress''.

Which, by the way, is not the minor thing you make it out to be. It's a pain in the ass even if it happens one, it wrenches you out the game world and forces you to be re-immersed (a big issue in a game that is trying to create such a strong atmosphere and tell an affecting story).

You're comparing this DRM to being held at gunpoint?

Yeah, don't be offended that I didn't even bother finishing reading your post.

Twesterm's trademark brilliant "I'll be prickly and dismissive about everything that isn't in line with my perspective" stance.

I'm simply saying that a bad situation's negativity is not removed simply because you're aware of it beforehand. I'm not comparing it to gunpoint. I could have said 'It's like being told you're going to get punched right before you get in a fight' or 'It's like someone shouting "Look Out!" half a second before a snowball slams into your face".

The analogy is not important. My point is that nobody cares about Ubi being upfront. Nobody is pointing at this and saying "Oh shit! Look how deceptive they are!" People are mad about the DRM itself---which, again, is intrusive and unnecessary. If you work up the ambition to finish reading the few sentences above (tough to read things that disagree with you, I know) you'll see some of my reasoning.

And comparing it to WoW is one of the more idiotic things I've heard someone do recently. People obviously do not mind WoW having to be constantly online because IT IS AN ONLINE GAME. Of COURSE the demographic for online games isn't going to mind having to be constantly online. 

Assassin's Creed, however, is largely NOT an online game, and there are many people who do not care for MMO's or constant online connections who will be playing it.

I ignored your first comment because it was plain and simple stupid.  It's as stupid as this:

I understand not liking the DRM, but my point is that it's not a surprise.  It's not like you bought the game and then found out that it had the DRM or they didn't put it right in plain sight that it required a permanant internet connection.  I would be absolutely outraged if I bought this game and later found out that I had to put up with that but since it's something you know before you buy it, I don't see why it's such a big deal.

I don't know, to me, it's just like not having the correct computer or meeting the minimum requirements and isn't a big deal.

Would I be upset if I wanted this game and couldn't meet the internet requirement for whatever reasons?  Sure, but no more upset than if I just didn't have the right graphics card.

If you don't like the WoW comparison that's fine, then what if I bought and loved AC for the PC but now I can't run AC2 because it requires a better graphics card than I have?  Should I be just as justifiably angry?  Both of those things are only requirements that every game has a list of.

Does the running steam in Offline Mode thing not work now?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
Does the running steam in Offline Mode thing not work now?

According to Steam the third party DRM requires you to have a permanent internet connection so I assume even if you're running Steam in offline mode you will still need to be connectioned to the internet.

So thinking along the lines of this, would people be happier if it required an internet connection to save?  If every time the game saved or hit a checkpoint it phoned home so you wouldn't have to have a permant connection, just have to have one every 10-15 minutes?  I guess if it didn't find one, the game would simply hang until it found one?

twesterm said:
nordlead said:
well, it means you can't buy it if you intend to play on a laptop while you travel. Obviously you don't have to be forced to buy such a product, but when they build a fanbase and make a sequel for them, it does sorta piss you off even if you aren't "entitled" to it. Finally, a lot of people still have dialup depending on where they live in the country.

There are a lot of reasons to not like the DRM policy, however no one is forcing you to buy the product either.

I understand not liking the DRM and agree, it can easily, but like you said, if you don't like it don't buy it.

You can make almost every single one of those arguments with WoW (even the fanbase one since it started out as Warcraft) but people are ready to accept always having an internet connection for an MMO.  Is it because AC2 isn't multiplayer that people are angrier about it?

I don't know if it's because I just didn't like AC so I don't care or I'm not a PC gamers so I don't care, but since they're upfront about it, I just don't see why all the outrage over the DRM.

I think the frustration is because people might like to buy the content, but the unnecessary and pointless barriers added by the publisher have discouraged customers from buying.

It's kind of like if Ubisoft had decided to price the game at $100 instead of putting DRM on it. The increased barrier would discourage a lot of consumers who would be happy to buy it at $50. Would it be so unusual for those people to complain about the $100 price tag?

The difference is that you can at least understand how a price tag of $100 might lead to increased revenues for Ubisoft. It's hard to understand how this kind of DRM benefits anybody at all. It costs Ubisoft money to implement, reduces the value of the product for legitimate consumers, and will do nothing to discourage piracy. The only benefactors are the hackers who love to get a new challenge to crack.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

http://i.imgur.com/GxzeV.jpg

I think this image sums of people's grievances quite nicely.

Why pay for a game where they intentionally limit when you can play it? Pirating it is not only cheaper, obviously, but you get a better product as well.

If I drop 60$ on your product, I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to use it - I should be able to use it whenever I want to, not when you want me to.

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89
twesterm said:

I ignored your first comment because it was plain and simple stupid.  It's as stupid as this:

I understand not liking the DRM, but my point is that it's not a surprise.  It's not like you bought the game and then found out that it had the DRM or they didn't put it right in plain sight that it required a permanant internet connection.  I would be absolutely outraged if I bought this game and later found out that I had to put up with that but since it's something you know before you buy it, I don't see why it's such a big deal.

I don't know, to me, it's just like not having the correct computer or meeting the minimum requirements and isn't a big deal.

Would I be upset if I wanted this game and couldn't meet the internet requirement for whatever reasons?  Sure, but no more upset than if I just didn't have the right graphics card.

If you don't like the WoW comparison that's fine, then what if I bought and loved AC for the PC but now I can't run AC2 because it requires a better graphics card than I have?  Should I be just as justifiably angry?  Both of those things are only requirements that every game has a list of.

There's something bitterly ironic about that statement being in the same post as the (not very funny or clever) picture you posted.

MY point is: nobody is acting like it's a surprise. Nobody is upset because it's a surprise. They're mad because of the stupid DRM itself. Which brings us full circle to my original point: It doesn't matter if you're fairly warned about something ahead of time, if it's bad, it's bad. If you get shot in a war, you don't think "Well, this isn't so bad. I was aware this would probably happen when I signed up.", you think "Fuck! I just got shot! This is fucking terrible!".

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Because people want to play the game, but they don't want intrusive security measures. Yes, you can say "Well fuck that, I'm not getting the game because that there is some stupid DRM", but some people actually want to play the game despite this.

I find it funny that you posted that demotivator on bad analogies, when both your WoW-analogy and your PC requirements analogy aren't too good to begin with. WoW is a multiplayer game where as AC2 is a singleplayer game through and through. The game itself gets zero benefit from being online.
And compairing it to not having a strong enough computer, is like Ubisoft saying that you need a Radeon HD5970 to run the game, and nothing less will do, when in truth, the game will run well enough on a Nvidia 8800GT. Except here, there are actually benefits (better graphics).

blaydcor said:
twesterm said:

There's something bitterly ironic about that statement being in the same post as the (not very funny or clever) picture you posted.

MY point is: nobody is acting like it's a surprise. Nobody is upset because it's a surprise. They're mad because of the stupid DRM itself. Which brings us full circle to my original point: It doesn't matter if you're fairly warned about something ahead of time, if it's bad, it's bad. If you get shot in a war, you don't think "Well, this isn't so bad. I was aware this would probably happen when I signed up.", you think "Fuck! I just got shot! This is fucking terrible!".

But this brings me back to my point-- you're angry about something you don't even have!

If you don't like the DRM, that's cool, then just don't buy (or pirate) the game!

Rainbird said:
Because people want to play the game, but they don't want intrusive security measures. Yes, you can say "Well fuck that, I'm not getting the game because that there is some stupid DRM", but some people actually want to play the game despite this.

I find it funny that you posted that demotivator on bad analogies, when both your WoW-analogy and your PC requirements analogy aren't too good to begin with. WoW is a multiplayer game where as AC2 is a singleplayer game through and through. The game itself gets zero benefit from being online.
And compairing it to not having a strong enough computer, is like Ubisoft saying that you need a Radeon HD5970 to run the game, and nothing less will do, when in truth, the game will run well enough on a Nvidia 8800GT. Except here, there are actually benefits (better graphics).

Meh, I get yours and blayd's point about analogies, but at least mine are are more similar than being held at gun point. 

An analogy can be slightly off, but, and no offense meant here, the gun point thing was just about as stupid as they come.