By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Something I don't understand about Assassin's Creed 2 DRM complaints

famousringo said:
WilliamWatts said:

If its unreasonable, don't buy it. If you hate X service which has exclusive rights to the iPhone but still want an iPhone why would you get angry if the terms are deemed unreasonable (36 month contract or something). Just move on and not worry about it. Its unreasonable to expect that every game or service whether you intend to pay for them or not ought to come with terms and conditions which are acceptable to you. If the DRM sucks then let them rot in it.

Turnabout is fair play.

If you can't understand why some consumers complain when presented with contract terms that they find unreasonable, just move on and don't worry about it. Nobody is forcing you to participate in these threads, so just don't post. It's unreasonable for you to expect every thread to be on a subject which is acceptable to you.

Or are you posting here because you feel that this is a subject worthy of discussion and that there's more to this question than a simple decision on whether or not to participate? You're telling people not to discuss the matter, but simply to vote with their dollar and leave it at that. If we're only meant to vote with our dollars, why the hell does this forum even exist?

Because complaining for the sake of complaining is stupid and counter-productive.

This thread is pretty similar to complaining that the iPhone doesn't have Skype. Since everyone is so adament that it'll be circumvented quicksmart and it'll take a little user input to remove it then theres no real problem. In the case of Skype on the iPhone its a cheap download.

If the people who have a problem with it don't have to deal with it then whats the point in complaining? Venting thine ass onto a topic like this is pretty silly.

Around the Network
WilliamWatts said:
famousringo said:
WilliamWatts said:

If its unreasonable, don't buy it. If you hate X service which has exclusive rights to the iPhone but still want an iPhone why would you get angry if the terms are deemed unreasonable (36 month contract or something). Just move on and not worry about it. Its unreasonable to expect that every game or service whether you intend to pay for them or not ought to come with terms and conditions which are acceptable to you. If the DRM sucks then let them rot in it.

Turnabout is fair play.

If you can't understand why some consumers complain when presented with contract terms that they find unreasonable, just move on and don't worry about it. Nobody is forcing you to participate in these threads, so just don't post. It's unreasonable for you to expect every thread to be on a subject which is acceptable to you.

Or are you posting here because you feel that this is a subject worthy of discussion and that there's more to this question than a simple decision on whether or not to participate? You're telling people not to discuss the matter, but simply to vote with their dollar and leave it at that. If we're only meant to vote with our dollars, why the hell does this forum even exist?

Because complaining for the sake of complaining is stupid and counter-productive.

This thread is pretty similar to complaining that the iPhone doesn't have Skype. Since everyone is so adament that it'll be circumvented quicksmart and it'll take a little user input to remove it then theres no real problem. In the case of Skype on the iPhone its a cheap download.

If the people who have a problem with it don't have to deal with it then whats the point in complaining? Venting thine ass onto a topic like this is pretty silly.

If you feel that way, why do you persist? Do you think that your complaints are more productive than all the other complaints in this thread?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:
WilliamWatts said:
Reasonable said:

Sheesh.  It's obvious.  They're angry because it's unreasonable - or at least if what I read is true about the DRM it is.  There is no reason a paying customer should be forced to lose progress on a game they bought because their internet connection drops (unless of course the game is online only, D'Oh).  That's just ridiculous.  If a game released with a bug that could regularly cause lost progress/saves I'd return it immediately and demand my money back.  Putting it on the box doesn't excuse it.  By that measure any unreasonable trading would be 'okay' so long as there was some upfront warning.

It doesn't work that way.  This is plain unreasonable and should be accepted as such.

The anger is also, obviously, because people want the game but aren't willing to accept the terms, which is also annoying.

I don't want to start an arguement or anything, but I'm amazed that you don't understand this, particularly as you often come across fairly heated about stuff on the boards that's unreasonable!

Turnabout is fair play.

That's simple, vg$ baby. Whooo.

famousringo said:
WilliamWatts said:

If you feel that way, why do you persist? Do you think that your complaints are more productive than all the other complaints in this thread?

Do people who shout out their windows for silence refrain because its adding to the noise?

twesterm said:
blaydcor said:
twesterm said:

I ignored your first comment because it was plain and simple stupid.  It's as stupid as this:

I understand not liking the DRM, but my point is that it's not a surprise.  It's not like you bought the game and then found out that it had the DRM or they didn't put it right in plain sight that it required a permanant internet connection.  I would be absolutely outraged if I bought this game and later found out that I had to put up with that but since it's something you know before you buy it, I don't see why it's such a big deal.

I don't know, to me, it's just like not having the correct computer or meeting the minimum requirements and isn't a big deal.

Would I be upset if I wanted this game and couldn't meet the internet requirement for whatever reasons?  Sure, but no more upset than if I just didn't have the right graphics card.

If you don't like the WoW comparison that's fine, then what if I bought and loved AC for the PC but now I can't run AC2 because it requires a better graphics card than I have?  Should I be just as justifiably angry?  Both of those things are only requirements that every game has a list of.

There's something bitterly ironic about that statement being in the same post as the (not very funny or clever) picture you posted.

MY point is: nobody is acting like it's a surprise. Nobody is upset because it's a surprise. They're mad because of the stupid DRM itself. Which brings us full circle to my original point: It doesn't matter if you're fairly warned about something ahead of time, if it's bad, it's bad. If you get shot in a war, you don't think "Well, this isn't so bad. I was aware this would probably happen when I signed up.", you think "Fuck! I just got shot! This is fucking terrible!".

But this brings me back to my point-- you're angry about something you don't even have!

If you don't like the DRM, that's cool, then just don't buy (or pirate) the game!

hahah you're kidding, right?

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

Around the Network
WilliamWatts said:
famousringo said:
WilliamWatts said:

Do people who shout out their windows for silence refrain because its adding to the noise?

People do that when they can't get away from the noise. You aren't trying to get a good night's sleep. You clicked a link dedicated to making noise, then complained that people were making noise there.

I just don't have a lot of patience when people come into a forum, a place where people gather to discuss things, and try to stifle the discussion or dictate the terms of discussion. It's hypocritical and it's entirely missing the point.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

WilliamWatts said:
Reasonable said:

Sheesh.  It's obvious.  They're angry because it's unreasonable - or at least if what I read is true about the DRM it is.  There is no reason a paying customer should be forced to lose progress on a game they bought because their internet connection drops (unless of course the game is online only, D'Oh).  That's just ridiculous.  If a game released with a bug that could regularly cause lost progress/saves I'd return it immediately and demand my money back.  Putting it on the box doesn't excuse it.  By that measure any unreasonable trading would be 'okay' so long as there was some upfront warning.

It doesn't work that way.  This is plain unreasonable and should be accepted as such.

The anger is also, obviously, because people want the game but aren't willing to accept the terms, which is also annoying.

I don't want to start an arguement or anything, but I'm amazed that you don't understand this, particularly as you often come across fairly heated about stuff on the boards that's unreasonable!

Oh I do.  I know a lot of people whine whine they pay anyway, but I don't.  If I feel the company has stepped over the mark I don't support it.  If I'm in the majority they feel the pain and stop, if I'm in the minority they don't and I have to accept that.

People shouldn't just accept crap, but they should be willing to put their money where there mouth is.  I simply don't buy PC games with excessive DRM and email (a well written, non-shouty one) the company to explain I think the DRM is counter productive and in addition to whatever sales they think will be lost to the pirates - who, I point out, will get ahold  of the game DRM or no DRM - they are now surely losing additional sales, which is simply foolish and only adding to their problems.

If DRM doesn't impact me as a consumer I don't mind in principle - for example I had no issue with Steam registration of Half Life 2, but I did have a fair and genuine issue with their service not being up to scratch initially.  Valve, being sensible apologiesed publicly because their service had been below acceptable levels at first.

But this is clearly DRM which steps over the mark.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:
WilliamWatts said:

Oh I do.  I know a lot of people whine whine they pay anyway, but I don't.  If I feel the company has stepped over the mark I don't support it.  If I'm in the majority they feel the pain and stop, if I'm in the minority they don't and I have to accept that.

People shouldn't just accept crap, but they should be willing to put their money where there mouth is.  I simply don't buy PC games with excessive DRM and email (a well written, non-shouty one) the company to explain I think the DRM is counter productive and in addition to whatever sales they think will be lost to the pirates - who, I point out, will get ahold  of the game DRM or no DRM - they are now surely losing additional sales, which is simply foolish and only adding to their problems.

If DRM doesn't impact me as a consumer I don't mind in principle - for example I had no issue with Steam registration of Half Life 2, but I did have a fair and genuine issue with their service not being up to scratch initially.  Valve, being sensible apologiesed publicly because their service had been below acceptable levels at first.

But this is clearly DRM which steps over the mark.

A lot of people whine then pirate anyway too. A lot of people take offense to the price companies charge for content and use that to justify not paying anything at all. In this case they are damned if they do and they are damned if they don't. They aren't exactly in an enviable position here and its quite likely that Ubisoft will withdraw significant PC game support if they don't succeed with their DRM.

In this case its not about whether or not DRM exists, its about whether people will be getting day and date release with consoles and whether they will put additional effort into those PC releases or just port semi buggy code over? DRM which works does increase sales. Otherwise companies wouldn't bother putting CD-keys into the box for online gameplay. Its the single player experience which is vulnerable and they are attempting to give the single player games the same protection. Otherwise you'll see an ever increasing focus on just multiplayer games and certain releases which sell enough inspite of piracy.

salaminizer said:
twesterm said:
blaydcor said:
twesterm said:

I ignored your first comment because it was plain and simple stupid.  It's as stupid as this:

I understand not liking the DRM, but my point is that it's not a surprise.  It's not like you bought the game and then found out that it had the DRM or they didn't put it right in plain sight that it required a permanant internet connection.  I would be absolutely outraged if I bought this game and later found out that I had to put up with that but since it's something you know before you buy it, I don't see why it's such a big deal.

I don't know, to me, it's just like not having the correct computer or meeting the minimum requirements and isn't a big deal.

Would I be upset if I wanted this game and couldn't meet the internet requirement for whatever reasons?  Sure, but no more upset than if I just didn't have the right graphics card.

If you don't like the WoW comparison that's fine, then what if I bought and loved AC for the PC but now I can't run AC2 because it requires a better graphics card than I have?  Should I be just as justifiably angry?  Both of those things are only requirements that every game has a list of.

There's something bitterly ironic about that statement being in the same post as the (not very funny or clever) picture you posted.

MY point is: nobody is acting like it's a surprise. Nobody is upset because it's a surprise. They're mad because of the stupid DRM itself. Which brings us full circle to my original point: It doesn't matter if you're fairly warned about something ahead of time, if it's bad, it's bad. If you get shot in a war, you don't think "Well, this isn't so bad. I was aware this would probably happen when I signed up.", you think "Fuck! I just got shot! This is fucking terrible!".

But this brings me back to my point-- you're angry about something you don't even have!

If you don't like the DRM, that's cool, then just don't buy (or pirate) the game!

hahah you're kidding, right?

Sorry, meant that as don't buy (or don't pirate) the game! >_>

They are forcing you to do something for a single player game. That's why people are getting pissed about it.