By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will 360 start to outsell PS3 WW in 2010?

When will 360 start to outsell PS3 WW in 2010?

It won't, PS3 will conti... 529 59.24%

First Quarter (Jan-March) 24 2.69%

Second Quarter (Apr-June) 108 12.09%

Third Quarter (July-Sept) 147 16.46%

Fourth Quarter (Oct-Dec) 84 9.41%

Total:892
BenVTrigger said:
Theres alot of really short sighted people in this thread. If all of you really believe that there won't be periods of time this year where the 360 outsells PS3 consistantly for at least several weeks then.....well i don't know what to say. Alot of you guys obviously have paid ZERO attention to this gen or are blatently allowing biasness in your posts. We've seen this pattern over and over again this gen, Sony and MS keep swapping places and its gonna happen again.

This is true, and looking at last year it was pretty obvious Microsoft put profitability over marketshare.  They weathered the slim better than they should have imo, and considering the barrier of entry price for 360 hasn't changed in 18 months now, I think they're well positioned to hit $149 this summer or fall.

Around the Network
Hyruken said:
makingmusic476 said:
outlawauron said:
Really, Hyruken.

Your list, even by those ridiculous restrictions is still incorrect.

Apparently in his world, Yakuza 3 isn't coming out in NA/EU in two weeks.  In his world, GT5 wasn't confirmed for March 29th 2010 in Japan (Summer 2010 for the West) and then delayed to Fall 2010 for all regions.  Nor was Twisted Metal targeted for a Fall release by David Jaffe himself at the DICE awards.

I could go on.. .

Maybe you guys should read a little before you get worked up?

If you read what i said i said GAMES THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN RELEASED.

Has Yakuza 3 not already been released in Japan?

In my world GT5 hasen't been confirmed for march 29th 2010 because CEO James Armstrong said only a week or so ago

""We believe that launching the product this fall, before Christmas, but not yet decided"

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=233358

Which again if you read what i said i said GAMES THAT DON'T HAVE A CLEAR RELEASE DATE.

Again with the Twisted Metal thing....Show me a release date and i will add it to the list. Seeing as the last one got canceled and very little if anything is known about this one i think it is better off the list, because right now we have seen nothing, zilch, nada about it. Which in my world has slippage written all over it.

So think before you guys start getting your knickers in a twist. Last rebellion is already out in Japan as has Atelier Rorona....Read guys, read!

My list is about games that are coming out this year, have not been released anywhere else.

Eh, your 360 list is pretty wildly off by those standards though.  If we're doing "clear release dates" and "not yet released" worldwide then they actually shrink to...

Xbox 360

1. Espgaluda II Black Label (Cave) 
  2. Metro 2033 (THQ / 4A Games)
  3. N3 II: Ninety-Nine Nights (Konami / feelplus)
  4. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction (Ubisoft / Ubisoft Montreal)

PlayStation 3

1. God of War III (Sony Computer Entertainment / Santa Monica Studio)
  2. Gran Turismo 5: The Real Driving Simulator (Sony Computer Entertainment / Polyphony Digital)
  3. MLB 2010: The Show (Sony Computer Entertainment / San Diego Studio)

i'd say 3rd quarter because of all the AAA games that are coming out around then, Natal, and a slim chance of a pricecut.

jarrod said:
Hyruken said:
makingmusic476 said:
outlawauron said:
Really, Hyruken.

Your list, even by those ridiculous restrictions is still incorrect.

Apparently in his world, Yakuza 3 isn't coming out in NA/EU in two weeks.  In his world, GT5 wasn't confirmed for March 29th 2010 in Japan (Summer 2010 for the West) and then delayed to Fall 2010 for all regions.  Nor was Twisted Metal targeted for a Fall release by David Jaffe himself at the DICE awards.

I could go on.. .

Maybe you guys should read a little before you get worked up?

If you read what i said i said GAMES THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN RELEASED.

Has Yakuza 3 not already been released in Japan?

In my world GT5 hasen't been confirmed for march 29th 2010 because CEO James Armstrong said only a week or so ago

""We believe that launching the product this fall, before Christmas, but not yet decided"

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=233358

Which again if you read what i said i said GAMES THAT DON'T HAVE A CLEAR RELEASE DATE.

Again with the Twisted Metal thing....Show me a release date and i will add it to the list. Seeing as the last one got canceled and very little if anything is known about this one i think it is better off the list, because right now we have seen nothing, zilch, nada about it. Which in my world has slippage written all over it.

So think before you guys start getting your knickers in a twist. Last rebellion is already out in Japan as has Atelier Rorona....Read guys, read!

My list is about games that are coming out this year, have not been released anywhere else.

Eh, your 360 list is pretty wildly off by those standards though.  If we're doing "clear release dates" and "not yet released" worldwide then they actually shrink to...

Xbox 360

1. Espgaluda II Black Label (Cave) 
  2. Metro 2033 (THQ / 4A Games)
  3. N3 II: Ninety-Nine Nights (Konami / feelplus)
  4. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction (Ubisoft / Ubisoft Montreal)

PlayStation 3

1. God of War III (Sony Computer Entertainment / Santa Monica Studio)
  2. Gran Turismo 5: The Real Driving Simulator (Sony Computer Entertainment / Polyphony Digital)
  3. MLB 2010: The Show (Sony Computer Entertainment / San Diego Studio)

Nope my list was right

GT5 has no release date as i showed and you clearly forogot about Microsofts recent X event where they gave release dates to most of those games. I would go through each of them and show you each link but i cant be arsed. But these are the dates

1. Alan Wake (Microsoft Game Studios / Remedy Entertainment) RELEASE DATE: May 18th 2010
  2. Crackdown 2 (Microsoft Game Studios / Ruffian Games) RELEASE DATE: QUARTER 2 2010 (Apr-Jun)
  3. Deadly Premonition (Ignition Entertainment / Marvelous Interactive / Access Games) RELEASE DATE: Today
  4. Deathsmiles (Aksys Games / Cave / M2) RELEASE DATE: QUARTER 2 2010 (Apr-Jun)
  5. Espgaluda II Black Label (Aksys Games / Cave) RELEASE DATE: 25/2/10
  6. Fable III (Microsoft Game Studios / Lionhead Studios) RELEASE DATE QUARTER 4 2010 (oct-dec)
  7. Halo: Reach (Microsoft Game Studios / Bungie Software) RELEASE DATE QUARTER 4 2010 (oct dec)
  8. Kingdom Under Fire II (Microsoft Game Studios / Blueside) RELEASE DATE QUARTER 3 2010 (Jul-Sep)
  9. Metro 2033 (THQ / 4A Games) RELEASE DATE: March 16th 2010
  10. Monster Hunter Freedom Online (Capcom) RELEASE DATE QUARTER 3 2010 (Jul-Sep)
  11. N3 II: Ninety-Nine Nights (Konami / feelplus) RELEASE DATE 1st May 2010 
  12. Supreme Commander 2 (Square Enix / Gas Powered Games) RELEASE DATE: March 16th 2010
  13. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction (Ubisoft / Ubisoft Montreal) RELEASE DATE: April 13th 2010

PlayStation 3

1. God of War III (Sony Computer Entertainment / Santa Monica Studio) RELEASE DATE: March 16th 2010
  2. MLB 2010: The Show (Sony Computer Entertainment / San Diego Studio) RELEASE DATE: March 2nd 2010
  3. Modnation Racers (Sony Computer Entertainment / United Front Games) RELEASE DATE: QUARTER 2 2010 (Apr-Jun)
  4. The Last Guardian (Sony Computer Entertainment / Japan Studio) RELEASE DATE: QUARTER 4 2010 (oct-dec)
  5. Trinity: Zill O'll Zero (Tecmo Koei / Omega Force RELEASE DATE: QUARTER 4 2010 (oct-dec)

It is claimed that Trinity is only 30% complete so will remain to be seen if it will make it but because they said it will be out in quarter 4 it is added to the list.

Remember to get on the list i provided the game has to have not been released on a console elsewhere. That means if it was on pc or in the arcade it still counts. If it was on any of the other home consoles it doesn't, otherwise it would not be exclusive would it, it would be multi-platform and thus would be removed from the list anyway! The game has to be given a clear indication of when it is going to be out. This does not just mean a release date this means the devs have come out and confirmed it will hit a certain quarter.

In the case of GT5 as i have tried to explain they have come out and said both fall and winter, which is over 2 quarters or 6 months, indicating they have no idea when it will be out. If in a months time they come out and say it is now penned in for Q3 then it gets added to the list. Understand?

Naming a quarter isn't a "date". I did miss Alan Wake and Supreme Commander 2 though. And I meant to take off GT5. :/

Deathsmiles came out in Japan already last year btw. KUF2 also doesn't have even a quarter (or western publisher) specified, it's just 2010 for Korea. Microsoft will undoubtedly pick it up though (like they did the past 3 KUF games). Trinity also got pushed back to tba (for Japan).

Around the Network
psrock said:
themanwithnoname said:
psrock said:
The biggest issue with MS is Japan.

Yes 360 will outsell the PS3 in Q4 in NA, but a small margin
yes the PS3 will outsell the 360 in OTHERS by a small margin

The PS3 will destroy the 360 in JAPAN
THE 360 will beat up on ps3 IN UK

Now, someone explain me how 360 will beat the PS3?

I guess price cuts don't exist in your world? Apparently, you don't even compensate for the fact Natal might be successful either.

Oh, and all these list wars are meaningless right now, not everything is announced yet, and Natal is launching with 10+ games or so, no telling how many of those are exclusive.

MS price = Sony Price cut

Natal = Arc

A) So Sony would cut the price the exact week Microsoft did, if they even did cut price? Yeah right.

B) Natal does not equal Arc. It's launch will be a much bigger event and has a better chance of selling Xbox 360's.

Please stop acting like the Xbox 360 has no chance of outselling the PS3 at any point this year. It couldn't be further from the truth.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

themanwithnoname said:
psrock said:
themanwithnoname said:
psrock said:

I guess price cuts don't exist in your world? Apparently, you don't even compensate for the fact Natal might be successful either.

Oh, and all these list wars are meaningless right now, not everything is announced yet, and Natal is launching with 10+ games or so, no telling how many of those are exclusive.

Natal = Arc

A) So Sony would cut the price the exact week Microsoft did, if they even did cut price? Yeah right.

B) Natal does not equal Arc. It's launch will be a much bigger event and has a better chance of selling Xbox 360's.

Please stop acting like the Xbox 360 has no chance of outselling the PS3 at any point this year. It couldn't be further from the truth.

The 360 could outsell the PS3 next week, my point is later this year people act like the PS3 wont be able to compete.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:
themanwithnoname said:
psrock said:
themanwithnoname said:
psrock said:

Natal = Arc

The 360 could outsell the PS3 next week, my point is later this year people act like the PS3 wont be able to compete.

There is no way Sony will price cut again this year and I'll bet with you on that point psrock if you like.  How long do you think Sony can maintain making zero profit on the PS3 for exactly?  I'm sure we'll see a SKU shift by Sony this year and some heavy bundling but they will not price cut and ultimately that is what creates long term momentum swings.

When Microsoft cut the price and push big this year then Sony will just weather the storm as best they can.  It doesn't mean they'll be blown away though as even this year the PS3 didn't really decimate the 360 as much as everyone expected/hoped.  It depends on what you definition of compete is, I happen to think given the price point last year the 360 competed very well over the holidays against the PS3 "slim" and price cut, there is every chance Sony can do the same this year.

I doubt Sony cuts this year. They'll just value add by bundling and throwing in larger HDDs (ie: what Microsoft did in 2009).

I could really see Microsoft value adding around Natal, or cutting, or both. They're past due really.

Nintendo won't change a thing.

slowmo said:
psrock said:
themanwithnoname said:
psrock said:
themanwithnoname said:
psrock said:

Natal = Arc

There is no way Sony will price cut again this year and I'll bet with you on that point psrock if you like.  How long do you think Sony can maintain making zero profit on the PS3 for exactly?  I'm sure we'll see a SKU shift by Sony this year and some heavy bundling but they will not price cut and ultimately that is what creates long term momentum swings.

When Microsoft cut the price and push big this year then Sony will just weather the storm as best they can.  It doesn't mean they'll be blown away though as even this year the PS3 didn't really decimate the 360 as much as everyone expected/hoped.  It depends on what you definition of compete is, I happen to think given the price point last year the 360 competed very well over the holidays against the PS3 "slim" and price cut, there is every chance Sony can do the same this year.

I say the PS3 WILL BE $250 in 2010, bet

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)