By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - can the 360 sell 70+ million consoles?

can the 360 sell 70+ million consoles?

Yeah easy 111 30.16%

Nope 129 35.05%

Mabye a little less 104 28.26%

I'm a troll so I'll go here 24 6.52%

Total:368
Polarimetric said:
Slimebeast said:

Your wrong. There's customers for every price point. Splitting the market into just two groups, hardcore who already bought HD and the casuals who buy cheap (Wii) is far too simple.

I know there are millions of guys out there that owned a PS2 (or the similar type, but just were born a decade later), that aren't super interested in gaming and aren't the people who buy 30 or 40 games in a generation, but they want to play some cool games. Often impulse buyers. Not all of these want to spend $300 on a console and not all of these want a Wii, and even if they did a lot of them will want their GTA's and Call of Dutys too.

7 million X360s... Why would the X360 start tanking like that next year? We're at the peak of this gen. Almost no software companies are speaking of next gen. There's no rumours about next gen hardware. PS3 just reached mass market price. MS is pushing Natal hard for Nov 2010 and next year. This year is the biggest year for games since 2003 (or 2001, I don't know lol). 2011 will see a $149 Xbox 360. This is the golden age of HD.

I don't believe that you can expect impulse buyers to come out in droves big enough to buck the natural trend of sales decreasing as a system gets older. We are in the peak of this generation -- absolutely -- but reaching the peak of this generation has resulted in a PS3 sales explosion while the 360 has seen little or no sales benefit. America is the only region where the 360 can outsell the PS3, and the 360 isn't outselling the PS3 in big enough margins even with huge exclusives (Mass Effect 2) moving consoles. The PS3 has outsold the 360 weekly worldwide pretty consistently for 2010 and it began to do so in the end of 2009. The 360 is going to have to start outselling the PS3 consistently if there's any hope for it to sell 10 million in 2011, much less in 2010.

The 360 has been underselling itself year-over-year by about 13% for multiple weeks in 2010 now. If that trend continues, which I strongly believe it will, and the 360's total sales for 2010 ends up 13% below the total sales for 2009, the 360 will sell 9.2 million in 2010. With a 13% reduction already setting in for 2010 and the threat of a new generation looming for 2011, Natal is going to have to be one great console mover for the 360 to even reach 9 million in 2011.

7 million 360s is not "tanking." That's a reduction of about a third -- as a much younger console in 2007, the 360 moved 7.8 million units. 7 million is far from a "ridiculous" number. The 360 has had quite an impressive run of huge exclusives in the past couple years, and even with that, it has failed to sell at a pace that will make 70 million a legitimate projection.

If Natal is successful, of course, all of this can be thrown out and the 360 may well move to 80 million. It's all about the price, the performance, and the developer support.

The only reason for the small YoY drop in 2009* and in January this year is that the X360 hasn't dropped in price since Sept 5 in 2008 (that's one week short of 18 months!) while the competition dropped from $399 to $299 combined with a Slim hardware revision stealing significant marketshare.

There are no signs of the market slowing down, at least not for the X360. And your "threat of a new generation looming for 2011" is false.

*And yet the X360 managed to sell 10.2 million consoles.

Around the Network
Seece said:

Natal Soars

2010 - 12 million
2011 - 12 million
2012 - 8 million
2013 - 5 million
2014 - 2 million / discontinued

= 78 million

Natal Fails

2010 - 9.5 million
2011 - 8 million
2012 - 5 million
2013 - 2 million/ discontinued

= 65 million

People think it's daunting, until you start looking at how the console needs to perform on a per/annum basis to see that it's not totally out of reach...as you estimated, alot depends on Natal's reception to the public...if it takes off as M$ wants it to, chances are this generation is going to be 1-2 years longer, so We'd see a new console in late 2012 as at the earliest.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

I would say a resounding yes....my reason's why
developer's having to take extra time because of multi-core development take's longer, an even if there is a new xbox it would be the same, "MULTI-CORE" development with less install base, and the developer's would still need to recoup their cost they already spent investing in the tool's for the development of the xbox360. they want as much money with less investment for new tools for the next xbox than instead of mainly still develop for the xbox360 when in all likelyhood they still have unrecovered cost still left over even yet today. this has been one expensive generation for 3rd party, outside of just Microsoft.

an
then there is quite a bit of horse power left inside of the xbox360 to be tapped not including developer's tweaking of their game engine's. There is still quite a bit of development for the xbox360 that can net much greater result's. yes there is some instances where it's hardware is being taxed but that also mean's, that on the same token that the developer has yet to tweak their engine which many developer's have already stated, they can get better result's for the xbox360 its not even close yet to be anywhere fully tapped in my opinion.

still another point:
this generation is still in it's infancy stage, what i mean it is not like previous generation's.
a) this hardware gap in its overall strength between the first xbox an the xbox360 is quite a bit, from the processor to the GPU
just by that point alone it would have much higher level of support for software development due to developer's main development platform for the xbox brand have been mainly PC, which also mean those very same Developer's the majority of them have only just started Multi-core software development due to game's being made with single core being the most idea because many consumer's have just recently in the past few year's have only had the option of multi-core processor in the PC at a price that is more market friendly, thus most every game for the PC has been single core designed.
Only this Time EVERY xbox360 is multi-core, now look at that vs' the number of PC's out there and you can see by today's standard's the game console, this generation has been one to be inline to be upto date as the level of development that would be the same for PC's.

so there is no doubt in my mind barring any big problem's for the sale's decline of the xbox360 demand to dwindle , that the xbox360 could get upto 70+ million world wide, hell it's only been released in 21 countries sofar there is still places for the xbox360 to be released into so they also too can join in the fun of having one of the best game system's out there.
It would in my opinion make it up to , I would say 80 to 100+ million LTD number's because this generation I think this is only going to extend this generation much longer than previous generation's because there is so much more that these system's are capable of than previous generation's I see it as there is still more time for the platform to grow in it's maturity that 5-7 year's is still to little of time to get the most out of its hardware.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

toastboy44562 said:

Microsoft recently said that they will be supporting Natal for five years after it comes out. That means this is about half way through the 360's liftime. It is already almost 40 million consoles. 40 million times 2 is 80 million, but that seems a little high. With Halo reach, splinter cell, fable 3, alan wake, natal, more pricecuts, more Gigs, gears 3 next year I could see the 360 lasting a LONG time...what's your take on this...am I crazy?

Ha ha then ur new consoles coming out in 2012 will be wrong i see new consoles coming out in 2014

yes it will sell over 70 no more than 80m though ps3 will pass 100m b4 its off the market

all it has to do is sell an average of like 8m for the next 4-5 years very doable considering that the elite sku hasnt reached 199$ and the arcade hasnt reached 99$ yet

Play Me

BHR-3 said:
toastboy44562 said:

Microsoft recently said that they will be supporting Natal for five years after it comes out. That means this is about half way through the 360's liftime. It is already almost 40 million consoles. 40 million times 2 is 80 million, but that seems a little high. With Halo reach, splinter cell, fable 3, alan wake, natal, more pricecuts, more Gigs, gears 3 next year I could see the 360 lasting a LONG time...what's your take on this...am I crazy?

Ha ha then ur new consoles coming out in 2012 will be wrong i see new consoles coming out in 2014

yes it will sell over 70 no more than 80m though ps3 will pass 100m b4 its off the market

all it has to do is sell an average of like 8m for the next 4-5 years very doable considering that the elite sku hasnt reached 199$ and the arcade hasnt reached 99$ yet

I think the xbox360 has a good chance to pass the 80+ million mark though , but yea there is a very good chance with Natal being released, you may see a tweaked xbox360 with natal to provide a middle of the cycle than a whole new xbox , though I guess we will just have to see how thing's turn out. though a 75+ million world wide is not out of the question for the xbox360.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network

They could barely fit Assassin's Creed on a DVD 2 years ago...2 years later they can only fit games on a DVD because they're using insane amounts of compression. In 2 years it will be impossible to produce any games on the 360. It's using PS2 technology from the year 2000. It is at 40million right now, so unless it can sell 30 million consoles in 2 years then it won't hit 70 million.

Its already more than half where there and the 360 still has five years to go. The console will also see a nice boost after the next price drop.

Its amazing to see the 360 will surpass the NES and SNES. And its not even the first place console this gen.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

EdStation3 said:
They could barely fit Assassin's Creed on a DVD 2 years ago...2 years later they can only fit games on a DVD because they're using insane amounts of compression. In 2 years it will be impossible to produce any games on the 360. It's using PS2 technology from the year 2000. It is at 40million right now, so unless it can sell 30 million consoles in 2 years then it won't hit 70 million.

And logic like that is why people thought the Wii will fail.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

burgerstein said:
A few factors. First, Natal has to be huge, like Wii Fit huge. AND this gen has to last until 2013 or later. If only the first factor, the next Xbox will cannibalise the sale because it will obviously support Natal. If only the second they won't be able to pull off the numbers each year. IT doesn't seem likely to me, but it probably does to an MS fan.

To hit 70 million the 360 just need to maintain the same sales for about 3 or 4 years. MS said they plan to support the 360 until 2015 and there will be price drops. So 70 million should be easy regardless of how the Natal does.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
EdStation3 said:

And logic like that is why people thought the Wii will fail.

The Wii isn't HD and doesn't need all that space....  Im not sure if you were trying to refute my original point though.

It's like buying a two seat sports car and you're planing on having kids in the next few years...it's not going to last long enough.  When HD games require over 15GB of space in a few years the 360 will be out of comission....and the PS3 will have outsold it giving the 3rd party little reason to support games under the 7GB mark.  In my opinion the 360 has 2 years at best.  There is no way the 360 will sell 30 million in 2 years.