By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's the most "mature" Nintendo-developed game?

TWRoO said:
Mario....he's what? 26/27 now? (also begins with M)

According to Nintendo, Mario turned 22 on September 13th

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Around the Network

I believe you have to include Rare in this list because Rare was practically inhouse at that time. I believe Killer Instinct is co-developped by Nintendo, the original released in the arcades in 1994, ported to the SNES in 1995 was by far the most mature and violent game ever published by Nintendo.

If that doesn't count: Tetris (most hardcore casual game ever)

@stof:

I'm not talking about being violent, I'm talking about having mature themes such as tragedy, pathos, the reality of war, etc., as well as having an atmosphere and design that reflects those themes.

As for Perfect Dark and Conker's Bad Fur Day, both were actually published by Rare and not by Nintendo, though they were distributed by Nintendo. No M-rated Rare game was Nintendo-published. The point is moot in terms of this thread though, as Rare was not an in-house team; also, Conker's could hardly be called a "mature" game in anything but its scatology.

I haven't yet played very far into Twilight Princess so I can't comment there, but it did seem to have a certain darkness of atmosphere. I hope to get back to it someday...

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Goldeneye 007 was T. Perfect Dark was M. I forgot about Perfect Dark... blargh.

@HappySqurriel, I have updated Wikipedia. It is now more reliable than ever!

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

I hope you didn't update it to say that Eternal Darkness wasn't the first M-rated Nintendo-published game. It was.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Wii Sports, heavily popular with the elderly

Haha, amen. A fox flying a spaceship isnt particularly mature IMO. If anyones worried about looking imature while playing Nintendo games, buy a cardigan and a pipe to use while playing them.

what about geist im not sure if they published it or developed it

Rubang B said:
Goldeneye 007 was T. Perfect Dark was M. I forgot about Perfect Dark... blargh.

@HappySqurriel, I have updated Wikipedia. It is now more reliable than ever!

i think perfect dark was published by nintendo but developed by rare

GooseGaws said:
@stof:

I'm not talking about being violent, I'm talking about having mature themes such as tragedy, pathos, the realism of war, etc., as well as having an atmosphere and design that reflects those themes.

As for Perfect Dark and Conker's Bad Fur Day, both were actually published by Rare and not by Nintendo, though they were distributed by Nintendo. No M-rated Rare game was Nintendo-published. The point is moot in terms of this thread though, as Rare was not an in-house team; also, Conker's could hardly be called a "mature" game in anything but its scatology.

I haven't yet played very far into Twilight Princess so I can't comment there, but it did seem to have a certain darkness of atmosphere. I hope to get back to it someday...
twilight princess has a dark atmosphere especially at the (spoiler if you continue to read)dark world where you fight zant

i think myamoto had some developint in eternal darkness if that counts than i think eternall darkness is the most mature