By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's the most "mature" Nintendo-developed game?

Mario....he's what? 26/27 now? (also begins with M)

Around the Network

Eternal Darkness is one of the greatest games evar.

Metroid would have to be it. It could be a horror movie, the metroids themselves are just damn creepy. Nintendo didn't develop the Metroid Prime series, but they worked very close with Retro on it. It has some rather disturbing images as well as human tragedy and casualties.

The Legend of Zelda: OOC and WW also get a nod for stabbing Gannon in the head.  That's just brutal. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said but I don't think you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Nighteyes_1981 said:
Metroid would have to be it. It could be a horror movie, the metroids themselves are just damn creepy. Nintendo didn't develop the Metroid Prime series, but they worked very close with Retro on it. It has some rather disturbing images as well as human tragedy and casualties.

Well Nintendo owns 100% of Retro. So anything developed by them is 1st party.

Darc Requiem said:
Nighteyes_1981 said:

Well Nintendo owns 100% of Retro. So anything developed by them is 1st party.

Ahh so it is.  I had forgotten that.  Well then the Metroid Prime series is definitely it.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said but I don't think you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Around the Network

To be more specific, I want only games that are completely developed by Nintendo's internal teams. That excludes Retro, Silicon Knights, n-Space, etc. The first Star Fox as well as 64 were developed in-house, while Adventures was by Rare, Assault was by Namco, and Command was by Q-Games. Super Metroid is definitely right up there; I remember being shocked by the dead bodies of the scientists in the lab. However, I still think Star Fox 64 surprised me the most, considering the tone of the previous game and its decidedly "cutesy" cast of characters.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Rubang B said:
Wikipedia tells me that Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem was the first Nintendo-published game to get an M, and was even the first GameCube game to get an M at all, but yeah it was developed by Silicon Knights. Geist was the 2nd Nintendo-published game to get an M, but developed by n-Space. However, it says they worked very closely with Nintendo and had input from Miyamoto as well.

So Nintendo's dabbled with M-rated game development, but I don't think they've ever developed an entire M-rated game on their own. Luckily, the M stands for manly and has nothing to do with maturity. Brain Age is a million times more mature than anything else ever.

Which is why Wikipedia is a worthless resource ...

Perfect Dark was developed by Rare and published by Nintendo, a received a M rating well over 2 years before Eternal Darkness did.

GooseGaws said:
To be more specific, I want only games that are completely developed by Nintendo's internal teams. That excludes Retro, Silicon Knights, n-Space, etc. The first Star Fox as well as 64 were developed in-house, while Adventures was by Rare, Assault was by Namco, and Command was by Q-Games. Super Metroid is definitely right up there; I remember being shocked by the dead bodies of the scientists in the lab. However, I still think Star Fox 64 surprised me the most, considering the tone of the previous game and its decidedly "cutesy" cast of characters.

How can you exclude Retro? They are an internal developer just as EAD or Intelligent Systems.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

GooseGaws said:

You do have a point there.  Star Fox 64 would have been rated T at least if not for the art style of the game.  Nintendo gets away with a lot due to art direction.  Like the aforementioned execution of  Gannon in OOC.  If he had been in human form in that scene it might have gotten and M rating.  They got away with it in WW because of the cel shaded cartoon style.  WW got an E even with the cranium impalement.  Come to think of it, they set Gannon on fire in WW too.

I've been thinking and I believe LoZ:  Twilight Princess is actually the most mature.  It doesn't have any dome splitting unfortunately, but it does have human tragedy and children in mortal danger.  The execution of the zora queen was rather mature too.  I have to go play through the game again now hehe. 

Did not know that the first "M" title by Nintendo was Perfect Dark. Explains alot my current situation. Most mature game must be Eternal Darkness that game is really well done.