By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII (360) Not HD | Resolution, Anti-Aliasing Analyzed

Mr Puggsly said:
Kirameo said:
Mr Puggsly said:
BW_JP said:
Mr Puggsly said:
NJ5 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Anything higher than 480 = HD.

In that case the European Wii is HD.

Technically, yes! Assuming its actually running above 480.

You've been proven wrong about 6 times in this thread yet you still go on with this nonsense? Anything less than 720p is not HD.

Well the standard for gaming has been 480. So yeah, I'm entitled to my opinion.

Well, in my opinion, your opinion is *insert derogative term here*.

HD is a funny term you know. Nothing is official. Apparently anything above 30 lines is HD.

576 is higher than what is commonly known as SD. Therefore it must be HD. Feel free to cry some more, can't change my opinion.

By the way, I know Euro SD is 576. However its 720x576. The HD resolution is 1024x576.

No. The widescreen resolution is 1024x576, not the HD resolution. HD is still 1280x720 or higher.

Truth does not fear investigation

Around the Network

This forum post is misleading.

Square Enix has repeated, MULTIPLE times, that there will be no difference between the 2 versions. And we know that Square Enix never lies.

Mr Puggsly said:
Kirameo said:
Mr Puggsly said:
BW_JP said:
Mr Puggsly said:
NJ5 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You've been proven wrong about 6 times in this thread yet you still go on with this nonsense? Anything less than 720p is not HD.

HD is a funny term you know. Nothing is official. Apparently anything above 30 lines is HD.

576 is higher than what is commonly known as SD. Therefore it must be HD. Feel free to cry some more, can't change my opinion.

By the way, I know Euro SD is 576. However its 720x576. The HD resolution is 1024x576.

Saying something over and over again doesn't make it true. HD is a *defined standard* and only includes three signal types: 720p, 1080i and 1080p, in varying frequencies (24, 25, 30, 50, and 60hz, I believe).

So stop flooding the thread with things that aren't true.

starterman1989 said:

Square Enix has repeated, MULTIPLE times, that there will be no difference between the 2 versions. And we know that Square Enix never lies.

Hope that's sarcasm =D

loves2splooge said:
thismeintiel said:
You know, usually in circumstances like these, I blame the developers. But with SE and FF13, I think it has more to do with the DVD format and the fact that MS reserves ~1GB of each disc for itself. I mean FF games since 7 have been heavy on the CGI cutscenes. I would guess that given this is the first one for the HD systems, SE probably have gone all out on the CGI cutscenes. So all those, plus the game assets (which have to be repeated multiple times on the different discs) for a 50 hr game, probably take up a crap load of space. Sure they could have made the game look about equal, but that would have meant either taking out some cutscenes/story or putting it on 4-6 discs. I not 100% sure about this, but I have a suspicion MS may have "suggested" a 3 disc limit, as it would have made their version/console look more inferior coming on ~5 discs.

Having said all that, if the game still plays smoothly on the 360, I'm sure it will still be a fun experience.

Lost Odyssey was on 4 DVDs and that was published by Microsoft. Why would Microsoft allow LO 4 DVDs but limit FF13 to 3?

ProdigyBam is right.  Being a multi-plat, people are going to naturally draw comparisons between the games on all fronts.  The amount of discs is going to be one.  I believe another reason is the that Lost Odyssey came out over 2 years ago in America.  That was before Sony really turned up the heat on the competition.  So now, MS is going to try and show that their console is still equal on most fronts so people continue to buy their system, as well as multi-plats on their console.  And having a game come out on PS3 with 1 disc, while they would require at least 5 or more to make it equal is just going to be unacceptalbe to them.  Most likely unacceptable to the more casual multi-console gmers, as well.

Around the Network

The PS3 version of FF13 is 38 GB (6.8 GB for in-game content, rest for full motion video and 7.1 channel audio). In Xbox 360 DVDs (6.8 GB per disc), that's 5.6 DVDs (round up, that would be 6).

But considering that the Xbox 360 can't do native 1080p (or at least that's what I've heard. It can only upscale to 1080p) and it can't do 7.1 channel audio, they could have easily fit FF13 on 4 DVDs with the same in-game texture quality as the PS3 (720p) and the same assets (ie. foilage and what not). With 720p FMVs and 5.1 channel audio being the only downgrades (since that's the most the 360 can do FMV and audio wise).

Honestly I think downgrading the game's in-game visuals to 576p is a lot worse (for the 360's and SE's image) than adding one more disc to the collection so that you can keep the in-game visual quality intact (with only the FMVs and audio being sacrificied because the 360 can't do 1080p video and 7.1 audio anyway).The average gamer is going to care more about graphics than the number of DVDs.

With this whole situation with Square-Enix in general, you have to wonder how relevant Square-Enix is as a technological innovator. What does it say about Square-Enix as a company when Feel+ (who handled graphics and coding while Mistwalker did design) made the better looking jrpg (Lost Odyssey) on the Xbox 360? Square-Enix cut corners because they didn't want to pay more money to Microsoft for the extra disc but in the long run, they would have made more revenue if the 360 version looked better than it looks like now.

And then there's the whole, "we can't make towns in jrpgs anymore! It'll take 10+ years" thing. Whereas Feel+ managed to do so just fine.

And Square-Enix really bombed with The Last Remnant development. They don't even know how to use Unreal Engine 3.0 properly when many previous western AND Japanese developers have figured it out before (including Feel+ and the small Korean developer who did MagnaCarta II). SE couldn't port TLR to the PS3 in time for the scheduled simultaneous multiplat release because they didn't know how to use Unreal Engine 3.0 properly on the PS3. What a joke.

loves2splooge said:

The PS3 version of FF13 is 38 GB (6.8 GB for in-game content, rest for full motion video and 7.1 channel audio). In Xbox 360 DVDs (6.8 GB per disc), that's 5.6 DVDs (round up, that would be 6).

But considering that the Xbox 360 can't do native 1080p (or at least that's what I've heard. It can only upscale to 1080p) and it can't do 7.1 channel audio, they could have easily fit FF13 on 4 DVDs with the same in-game texture quality as the PS3 (720p) and the same assets (ie. foilage and what not). With 720p FMVs and 5.1 channel audio being the only downgrades (since that's the most the 360 can do FMV and audio wise).

Honestly I think downgrading the game's in-game visuals to 576p is a lot worse (for the 360's and SE's image) than adding one more disc to the collection so that you can keep the in-game visual quality intact (with only the FMVs and audio being sacrificied because the 360 can't do 1080p video and 7.1 audio anyway).The average gamer is going to care more about graphics than the number of DVDs.

With this whole situation with Square-Enix in general, you have to wonder how relevant Square-Enix is as a technological innovator. What does it say about Square-Enix as a company when Feel+ (who handled graphics and coding while Mistwalker did design) made the better looking jrpg (Lost Odyssey) on the Xbox 360? Square-Enix cut corners because they didn't want to pay more money to Microsoft for the extra disc but in the long run, they would have made more revenue if the 360 version looked better than it looks like now.

And then there's the whole, "we can't make towns in jrpgs anymore! It'll take 10+ years" thing. Whereas Feel+ managed to do so just fine.

And Square-Enix really bombed with The Last Remnant development. They don't even know how to use Unreal Engine 3.0 properly when many previous western AND Japanese developers have figured it out before (including Feel+ and the small Korean developer who did MagnaCarta II). SE couldn't port TLR to the PS3 in time for the scheduled simultaneous multiplat release because they didn't know how to use Unreal Engine 3.0 properly on the PS3. What a joke.

The number of discs and storage space has nothing to do with what resolution a game is rendered at. I suggest you educate yourself a little about this topic.

loves2splooge said:

Honestly I think downgrading the game's in-game visuals to 576p is a lot worse (for the 360's and SE's image) than adding one more disc to the collection so that you can keep the in-game visual quality intact (with only the FMVs and audio being sacrificied because the 360 can't do 1080p video and 7.1 audio anyway).

The average gamer is going to care more about graphics than the number of DVDs. What does it say about Square-Enix as a company when Feel+ (who handled graphics and coding while Mistwalker did design) made the better looking jrpg (Lost Odyssey) on the Xbox 360?

You're forgeting one thing, though.  Assests have to be repeated on those seperate discs, i.e. character/monster models & animations, environments (if you can return to them on seperate discs) and battle mechanics/calculations.  Also there has to be a small section of those DVD's that allows/tells the game when its time to insert and read the new disc.  Granted, that last part I mentioned probably counts for very little space taken up.  Anyway, on the PS3 version, those assests only have to be stored once.  So giving the fact that MS reserves ~1 GB per disc for anti-piracy, it's pretty easy see that if SE put as much detail into the 360 version, it may have taken up 5 or more discs.  Also, the game is supposed to be ~60 hrs, while LO is supposed to be ~40 hrs.

One could argue that SE probably knows that the vast majority of FF13's sales are coming from the PS3.  They probably made relatively quick, but still good, port with what space they had.  This way they get the sales of the lead platform, while still appreciating whatever sales they may get from the 360 in America and Europe, where its install base is larger.

Kirameo said:
starterman1989 said:

Hope that's sarcasm =D

Either way, it's hilarious.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

NightAntilli said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Kirameo said:
Mr Puggsly said:
BW_JP said:
Mr Puggsly said:
NJ5 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

No. The widescreen resolution is 1024x576, not the HD resolution. HD is still 1280x720 or higher.

No, 1024x576 is a higher resolution than both the US and Euro standards. 1280x720 is a common resolution for HD TVs.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)