By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Microsoft Desperately Marketing FFXIII Sony Playing Their Cards Right.

The internet is at a buzz once again due to the recent Final Fantasy XIII TV spot making an appearance during the NBA’s recent All-Star event displaying only the Xbox 360 version of the title. Many argue that Square Enix is abandoning Final Fantasy’s roots as a PlayStation exclusive series while abandoning their loyal fans. I find the whole situation to be very ironic and a sign of desperation. In all honesty who didn’t anticipate an Xbox 360 exclusive TV spot for this title? Microsoft knows that main Final Fantasy series is synonymous with PlayStation; which is why Sony could care-less about Final Fantasy XIII going multiplatform and being marketed on Microsoft’s platform.

As much as I love my Xbox 360 I question Microsoft’s “money to blow logic”. We’ve seen a ridiculous amount of money wasted and shoveled at publishers for things like timed and marketing exclusivity; Final Fantasy XIII is another example of this. Just recently the long rumored GTA IV Episodes of Liberty City was officially announced to be coming to the PlayStation 3 after Microsoft’s $50 million dollar timed exclusivity deal with Rockstar expired. Fallout 3 underwent the same treatment as in October of last year the GOTY edition of the title released on both platforms featuring all the current DLC available. There is one question the Microsoft camp should be asking themselves, was it worth handing money to publishers for limited exclusivity rather than investing in their own titles?

Those who look at FFXIII from Sony’s perspective shouldn’t care one bit about Microsoft’s desperate marketing. For one, God of War 3 releases no less than a week after that title; if Sony were to market that game as much Microsoft probably will they would be competing with themselves. Pretty much every enthusiastic Final Fantasy fan will purchase XIII on the PlayStation 3 regardless of it appearing on other platforms. The capacity of Blu-Ray relieves the hassle of having to deal with the tedious disc swapping of 360’s FFXIII. Its 2010 nobody wants to get out of their seat to switch a DVD because the game can’t fit on 1 disc, we dealt with disc swapping 10 years ago via Final Fantasy 7.

Xbox 360’s demographic doesn’t find much interest in JRPGs, we have seen plenty of these titles come and go on 360. Outside Japan these JRPGs being hugely successful on a Microsoft platform is wishful thinking. It would be much easier and far less expensive for Microsoft to just stick to their niche titles and cater to their crowd. What possible satisfaction is Microsoft getting with FFXIII when no one cares about it? They seem to tout games that are no longer exclusive to PlayStation 3 like an accomplishment so they can present themselves to Sony with a chip on their shoulder.

I question Microsoft’s rationality though I’m sure the publishers like Square Enix love the green that is thrown their way. In the end Sony is playing their cards right, they still have FFXIII releasing on their platform along with other blockbuster exclusives like God of War 3 and MLB 10 The Show releasing in March. Thank Microsoft for marketing FFXIII for Sony.

http://www.ironstarmovement.com/profiles/blogs/microsoft-desperately

Around the Network

I approve this thread. This guy pretty much said what was on my mind.

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

Did the money MS spent on the GTA episodes pay off? It seems they did not sell too well.

I agree with everything he said except for "Its 2010 nobody wants to get out of their seat to switch a DVD because the game can’t fit on 1 disc, we dealt with disc swapping 10 years ago via Final Fantasy 7."

Not everyone's lazy.

Also, FF was never a PS exclusive franchise.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Desperately seeking hits!

Tease.

Around the Network

"Many argue that Square Enix is abandoning Final Fantasy’s roots as a PlayStation exclusive series while abandoning their loyal fans."

lol

I LOVE ICELAND!

RaidenChief88 said:
Did the money MS spent on the GTA episodes pay off? It seems they did not sell too well.

MC suposely spent 50 million on this so n o they didn't.

i don't think normal consumers will care if its on PS3 or 360. they just want the game. so no Microsoft are playing their cards right. and Sony is just too poor.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

CGI-Quality said:
That's actually an interesting assessment, because people already know it's on PS3, so it's basically free marketing for Sony, while Sony still has it's own big-hitters. If anything, it's a bit of a win for both Sony & Microsoft.

Sony doesn't stand to really benefit from marketing really. Most people who know/want to buy the game are on the PS3.

Marketing for awareness? Not much as most PS3 owners who are into this sort of thing know what Final Fantasy is about.

Marketing for purchase? Not as much, the Xbox 360 likely has far more undecided/on the fence people owning that console than the PS3 has, likely a ratio of at least 3:1.

I don't see it as a win or a loss really. The only thing Sony stands to benefit from is perhaps making people aware of the street date. Its really just about bringing the sales on the Xbox 360 up to par relative to the PS3 and thus ensure a continuation of the series on the Xbox consoles.

Tease.

why is it that sony fanboys always need to be reminded that they are not allowed to complain about Microsoft throwing money at 3rd party developers!
They always seem to shut out the fact that this is why sony is where it is today
Nintendo did it with the NES & SNES
Sony did it with PS1 AND PS2

my signature went on strike, it's demanding 3% raise