By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you believe PC Gaming is dying?

Do you believe PC Gaming is dying?

Yes 136 41.21%

No 169 51.21%

Unsure / Can't decide 25 7.58%

Total:330
cfr316 said:

PC Gaming is too expensive.  The hardware requirments are ridiculous

Depends on how you look at it.  If you want all the good console games, it'll easily cost you 900-1200 dollars just to buy the three main consoles + all the add ons (Live, wifi adapter, controllers, etc).  Then you also have to buy the games on top of that which some have additional controllers, payment requirements, etc....

With a PC, you can make a good gaming PC anywhere between 800-1,200 dollars (around the same price or less than all the consoles combined) but also don't need to continue to spend money on the PC to keep it up to date unless you're trying to play something outrageous like Crysis 2 on max settings.  After a couple years, you may need to just update the video card (around 80-100 dollars).

From there, its just about what games you want.  Of course, its not like PC gaming is perfect.  And it doesn't have all the games out there, which is why I still say people should go out and buy console and handheld games.  But to say PC gaming is 'too expensive' is rather rediculous when console gaming is just as expensive or even more expensive now adays.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
cfr316 said:

PC Gaming is too expensive.  The hardware requirments are ridiculous

Depends on how you look at it.  If you want all the good console games, it'll easily cost you 900-1200 dollars just to buy the three main consoles + all the add ons (Live, wifi adapter, controllers, etc).  Then you also have to buy the games on top of that which some have additional controllers, payment requirements, etc....

With a PC, you can make a good gaming PC anywhere between 800-1,200 dollars (around the same price or less than all the consoles combined) but also don't need to continue to spend money on the PC to keep it up to date unless you're trying to play something outrageous like Crysis 2 on max settings.  After a couple years, you may need to just update the video card (around 80-100 dollars).

From there, its just about what games you want.  Of course, its not like PC gaming is perfect.  And it doesn't have all the games out there, which is why I still say people should go out and buy console and handheld games.  But to say PC gaming is 'too expensive' is rather rediculous when console gaming is just as expensive or even more expensive now adays.

Not even that. You could easily build a PC capable of running Crysis on High for about $700. And that includes the OS.

Oh, and PC games are cheaper and drop in price much faster than their PS360 counterparts.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

shio said:
thekitchensink said:
shio said:
thekitchensink said:
I'd say it's dying--check out the sales of Modern Warfare 2 PC vs the PS3 and 360 versions.

not that I want MW2 to be successful on PC (I hope MW2 PC failed completely), but where can we find the figures of the PC version? Unless Activision releases some figures, anyone that says the PC version was outsold by the PS360's is trolling.

Sorry to disappoint you, but... http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=5826 

"VGChartz preliminary day one figures puts the sales to date (including the midnight launches) at over 7 million copies worldwide across Xbox 360, PS3 and PC. Around 55% of sales are on Xbox 360, 33% on PS3 and the remaining 12% on PC."

Unless the sales patterns have changed dramatically, the PS3 version has roughly tripled the PC version, and that's to say nothing of the 360 version.  And this is a franchise that got its start (and became famous) on the PC.

Not to rain on your parade, but PC being 12% despite not even counting Digital sales means that it would outsell atleast the PS3 version, if it weren't for the fact that MW2 PC is such a crappy version.

PC games aren't front loaded, and they keep selling for years. If the PC version of Modern Warfare 2 was great, and if Activision didn't release another COD, there's no doubt that MW2 would reach 10 millions on PC alone.

Rain on my parade?  You say that as if I actually care about any of this

That said, that's a pretty big statement that it would have the potential to sell ten million on PC alone.  Care to back that up?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Legend11 said:

I think it'll take another hit next generation when the remaining genres that are currently dominant on PC start to take hold on consoles.

I also think PCs as we know them are on their way out. Consoles in my opinion are going to be the devices that will bridge television, telephones, computers, and the internet simply because they're easier to use.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that it won't just be PC gaming that will die, it'll be the PC itself as we know it.

Here is your problem. PCs initially didn't have internet or anything they have right now. They were literally just liek consoles, but meant for computation. As time went on they got things like upgradeable hardware and internt and stuff. What you told me isn't the end of PCs, but the end of consoles. They will reach a point where they will have everything that a PC has, except the ability to upgrade and the ability as an open platform.

Also you don't seem to realize that the PC will never die because it does EVERYTHING (unlike that hilarious PS3 slogan, lawl). It handles the entire economy, it is the tool of several of the best jobs in the world, it is something that dwarves the abilities of consoles. Back in the day consoles had nothing to do with a PC, up until this generatioin, now you have 1 console, and 2 half-assed PCs (with the half-assed software to go along with it). The way things are going, the consoles will kill themselves off. If they try to go directly against what a PC does instead of a small part of it (gaming, and they are failing at that), the consoles will be ruined and everyone will be happy. Especially Nintendo because they wouldn't be so stupid as to do that.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

r505Matt said:
Chairman-Mao said:
I don't think PC gaming will ever actually die but it's definitely wayyyyyyyy less popular than it once was.

I don't think it's that it's less popular than before, but that console gaming is sooo much more popular now. Actually I think PC gaming is growing, but it's at a snail's pace compared to console gaming.

That could be true.

Around the Network
thekitchensink said:
shio said:
thekitchensink said:
shio said:
thekitchensink said:
I'd say it's dying--check out the sales of Modern Warfare 2 PC vs the PS3 and 360 versions.

not that I want MW2 to be successful on PC (I hope MW2 PC failed completely), but where can we find the figures of the PC version? Unless Activision releases some figures, anyone that says the PC version was outsold by the PS360's is trolling.

"VGChartz preliminary day one figures puts the sales to date (including the midnight launches) at over 7 million copies worldwide across Xbox 360, PS3 and PC. Around 55% of sales are on Xbox 360, 33% on PS3 and the remaining 12% on PC."

Unless the sales patterns have changed dramatically, the PS3 version has roughly tripled the PC version, and that's to say nothing of the 360 version.  And this is a franchise that got its start (and became famous) on the PC.

Not to rain on your parade, but PC being 12% despite not even counting Digital sales means that it would outsell atleast the PS3 version, if it weren't for the fact that MW2 PC is such a crappy version.

PC games aren't front loaded, and they keep selling for years. If the PC version of Modern Warfare 2 was great, and if Activision didn't release another COD, there's no doubt that MW2 would reach 10 millions on PC alone.

That said, that's a pretty big statement that it would have the potential to sell ten million on PC alone.  Care to back that up?

It's a Call of Duty game, made by infinity Ward. That's enough of a reason.

thekitchensink said:
shio said:
thekitchensink said:
shio said:
thekitchensink said:

fuck that shit dood, PC should be 0-1%, fuck that game in the ass, PC version that is. I wish they sold 0 copies on PC.

Chairman-Mao said:
r505Matt said:
Chairman-Mao said:
I don't think PC gaming will ever actually die but it's definitely wayyyyyyyy less popular than it once was.

I don't think it's that it's less popular than before, but that console gaming is sooo much more popular now. Actually I think PC gaming is growing, but it's at a snail's pace compared to console gaming.

That could be true.

It's not. In fact, PC gaming is growing at least as fast as consoles. I mean, WoW alone boasts 11 million players, The Sims 3 is selling by the bucketload, Valve are raking in the dough with Steam (which is a helluva lot more than MS or Sony can say about their respective consoles), and a little Facebook app called FarmVille could boast a player base in the tens of millions.

The potential for someone to use the PC platform in a market-disruptive fashion is much greater than on consoles, and it's happening several times over as we speak.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Garcian Smith said:
Chairman-Mao said:
r505Matt said:
Chairman-Mao said:

That could be true.

It's not. In fact, PC gaming is growing at least as fast as consoles. I mean, WoW alone boasts 11 million players, The Sims 3 is selling by the bucketload, Valve are raking in the dough with Steam (which is a helluva lot more than MS or Sony can say about their respective consoles), and a little Facebook app called FarmVille could boast a player base in the tens of millions.

The potential for someone to use the PC platform in a market-disruptive fashion is much greater than on consoles, and it's happening several times over as we speak.

Well, there's no way to know. You can't just mention a few popular games and say that's enough. Since there is no tracked sales data, it makes it difficult to determine.

But with digital platforms like steam, and their awesome deals, it's surely not dying.

Besides, WoW's supposed 11 million players (is that a grand total, or a current total? I've always wondered) doesn't even compare to Wii games' sales. Or just Nintendo games in general really. Essentially, the heavy-hitters on PC (in terms of sales) are still lightweights compared to games on consoles.

r505Matt said:
Garcian Smith said:
Chairman-Mao said:
r505Matt said:
Chairman-Mao said:

That could be true.

Well, there's no way to know. You can't just mention a few popular games and say that's enough. Since there is no tracked sales data, it makes it difficult to determine.

But with digital platforms like steam, and their awesome deals, it's surely not dying.

Besides, WoW's supposed 11 million players (is that a grand total, or a current total? I've always wondered) doesn't even compare to Wii games' sales. Or just Nintendo games in general really. Essentially, the heavy-hitters on PC (in terms of sales) are still lightweights compared to games on consoles.

@ bolded: You contradict yourself. First you say there's no way to know and then say the heavy hitters are lightweights compared to console sales?