By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - In my opinion, Demon's Souls is a bad game.

sjhillsa said:
Its' not that difficult, the result of dying turns you into your soul form with 50% health, if you search for the two rings you can walk around with 100% health. There is one ring at the beginning of the game, giving you 75% health. The only real problem I have with Demon Souls is the 'pacing' of the game; because you have to spend many a time going into the same areas to gather enough souls until you find the item which gives you double souls. Don't even try to take on the red eyed lancer at the beginning of the game :)

I defeated him at soul level 23 lol, i just used soul arrow, very effective againt the red-eyed knight (oh yeah i am a magician, don't try it if you are another class).

Around the Network
FF_Fanatic said:
libellule said:
FF_Fanatic said:
lol look's like the game is owning you, i am loving it because of it's hardness and i keep on dying on flamelurker all the time, got him down to 1/4 of health and then he kills me without fail, I need help lol

perhaps you should use a blue phantom to help you ?

yeah I know i need help, hoping someone will be online soon, and willing to help me out, i have only met 2 people so far, because the rest of the game i have not stuggled on really, phalanx and tower knight was really easy, and a blue phanton killed the spider for me.

I didn't need a blue phantom for the spider either.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

bugrimmar said:
^no answer. i have my opinion. reviewers put down a lot of games because of repetition, but i wonder why they didn't put this game down. this game is the god of repetition.

I would assume it's because the repitition isn't a design flaw, it's the punishment for losing.  Too many games these days have absolutely no punishment for failing and therefore little to no tension within the gameplay.  Case in point, Prince of Persia where any time you fell you came back and lost at most 20 seconds.  If they had save points all the time then you wouldn't get the same foreboding sense of anxiety.  Demon's Souls is one of the few games in this gen that can give you a sense of tension and genuine fear of the unknown because you genuinely don't want to get killed.

And in the end, it's not the developers' fault that the game is repetitive for you, it's your fault for failing so much ^^

sjhillsa said:
Its' not that difficult, the result of dying turns you into your soul form with 50% health, if you search for the two rings you can walk around with 100% health. There is one ring at the beginning of the game, giving you 75% health. The only real problem I have with Demon Souls is the 'pacing' of the game; because you have to spend many a time going into the same areas to gather enough souls until you find the item which gives you double souls. Don't even try to take on the red eyed lancer at the beginning of the game :)

Yeah, the Red Eyed Knight is the reason for most of my early deaths. When I got to soul level 18-19, I was finally able to kill him, although it took quite a while. Spears work wonders against him.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

I understand his point. and it is true. I respect it. So no shit storm from me. Good game overall though.

Around the Network

So anyone want to help me out then??

bugrimmar said:

I get the fact that the game is hard. Before playing, I knew it was going to be hard. And I have no problem with hard games, dying many times, etc. Actually I wanted a challenge. It would be great to play a hard game again.

This game sucks not because it's hard. It sucks because whenever you die, and you will die many times, you have to repeat everything you just did exactly. It's endless hours of non-variety grinding, like World of Warcraft without any choice of activity (at least WoW lets you pick what you want to do and gives you quests to point you in directions). Why does the game force you to repeat slaying the exact same monsters over and over again? It's all pointless. It doesn't make sense. Why not make a hard game, minus the repetition?

I will never understand how this game is so highly rated by so many reviewers. It's repetition without forgiveness. Nevermind the difficulty. It's just a grind, grind, grind, repetition, repetition, repetition game. At least repetition in other RPGs, like say in Final Fantasy games you just do the same attack, attack, attack on monsters, gives you choices and variety on what monsters to fight, which areas to go to, etc. This game doesn't give any choices. After you die, it's either you leave your body there and waste all those souls you've been collecting, or go back there again and kill the same monsters in the same places all over again.

Christ I'm bringing it back to the shop.

*edited, sorry for the ungentlemanly title.

what a casual post.

It's simple, Demon's Souls is not a cheap or unfair game, it just punishes stupidity. It's the digital equivalent of Darwinism. Most players these days are so used to breezing their way to the nearest checkpoint or save spot, then something like DS comes along that requires skill and attention and they throw their hands up in frustration, sauntering off to the next cookiecutter fps or sandbox game that gets tossed onto the market. In short Op, I'm sorry Demon's Souls kicked your ass and it's too bad you'll be missing out on one of the best games this gen. Maybe Dragon Age is more your speed.

Torillian said:
bugrimmar said:
^no answer. i have my opinion. reviewers put down a lot of games because of repetition, but i wonder why they didn't put this game down. this game is the god of repetition.

I would assume it's because the repitition isn't a design flaw, it's the punishment for losing.  Too many games these days have absolutely no punishment for failing and therefore little to no tension within the gameplay.  Case in point, Prince of Persia where any time you fell you came back and lost at most 20 seconds.  If they had save points all the time then you wouldn't get the same foreboding sense of anxiety.  Demon's Souls is one of the few games in this gen that can give you a sense of tension and genuine fear of the unknown because you genuinely don't want to get killed.

And in the end, it's not the developers' fault that the game is repetitive for you, it's your fault for failing so much ^^

True. The whole tension (and fun) comes if you are fearing to fail. A game should be brutal to you. Your dead should be something which really shocks you. Thats why I loved the Hardcore mode in Diablo 2. If your character is on Lvl 90 you spend countless of hours and you die in ubertrist you will find you sweating your hands are shaking and your heart beats so fast that you think it might explode. I really thought a lot about this how can you punish the player as much as possible if he dies. Most people dont want to play games where they die once and everything is lost. So what could you do instead. Losing important items losing exp etc.

Especially RPGs should be unforgiving. Every game is way more fun if you fear to die. You are playing way better if you know that. Thats why I think that Survival Horror games should have a hardcore mode where you are not allowed to die. And RPGs in general. That would make some people replaying that game. FF series could need even though its not difficult anymore if you know the game but atleast it adds some tension. The second time is really really boring or you wait 3-4 years and you can replay it when you forgot some things. Games are too easy nowadays.

Things like rewind functions or like in NSMBWII that it plays the game for you if you are too bad are things, I dislike. 

"This game sucks not because it's hard. It sucks because whenever you die, and you will die many times, you have to repeat everything you just did exactly."

This made no sense to me. Are you expecting to just revive right back to where you were or a few steps back and try the same thing again? That's what we consider "the game holding your hand". If Demon's Souls was like this, it would be no more difficult than every other game on the hard difficulty setting. You say you want a challenge but you're looking for the experience offered in every other game.

The game putting you back to the beginning forces you to learn from your mistakes. Also, people have a habit of getting frustrated and trying to rush back to where they were. This only gets you killed sooner. You're forced to stay calm and collective and not rush anything.

4 ≈ One