By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Official Halo: Reach Thread

I have only played Halo 3 and I enjoyed the gameplay. Seeing how this is a prequel to Halo CE I am even more interested in playing the single player campaign for this.

Great year to own a 360.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

I hope to buy this game.

Anyone else excited about the return of hitscan to human weapons and using the DMR to pop skulls?

JaggedSac said:
Anyone else excited about the return of hitscan to human weapons and using the DMR to pop skulls?

I love how the DMR and all the other weapons in general are looking, but I can already tell that the DMR and snipe are gonna be my main weapons of choice in Reach.  And the scoped pistol is back!!!!

Here is some big news from the Bungie Weekly Update guys.  You are probably going to want to read this stuff:

"Also on display at X10, though the flythrough happened in private behind closed doors, was the multiplayer map, Powerhouse. We’ve seen some people freaking out a little bit about media coverage that made mention of Marcus calling Powerhouse out as a multipurpose space found both in Reach’s campaign and multiplayer. That’s totally true. Why would you even question Marcus? Ever? He’s the boss of Reach.

But, as always, there’s much more to this story. Not only is the team’s approach to building out our multiplayer and campaign spaces different this time around in a number of ways, there’s also some monumental stuff looming in Reach’s multiplayer world that’ll flip the script if all goes to plan. Sounds all kinds of mysteriously ambitious, doesn’t it? It is."

Sounds like they have a new game type in store for us.  And Bungie is calling it ambitious.  My interest is definitely peaked.  Anybody want to speculate.

"Out with a Bang

Hot on the heels of the LIVE team’s restoration of the temporary offlineness of the DLC Map Packs for Halo 2, our own digital guru, Roger Wolfson, aka The Wolf, is ready to weigh in with one of his own rabid and nefarious plans.

Not only are we gonna give Halo 2 the send off it needs and deserves on April 14th, but Roger’s gonna make participation worth your while should you happen to be planning on picking up Halo: Reach. Read on to learn more.

“You’ve already heard that we’re planning to send Halo 2 out with a bang, but it remains to be seen if we’re talking about a jolly New Year’s Eve party favor bang, a SPNKr-hits-your-Banshee bang, or something more galactic like The Big Bang. So to make things interesting, we’re going to give out a couple of party favors.

First up: Guess the final game number! You have one week to send a Private Message to the Bungie.net user, GuessTheGame. The subject of your communiqué should simply be a number, such as 802670688, and nothing else.

Editor’s Note - Since we expect a large volume of participants, failure to comply will result in instant elimination. Because we’re mean like that.

On Monday, February 22nd, we’ll take note of the most recent valid submission per user and stop accepting new guesses. Then whenever the data stops flowing in the middle of April, we’ll ask Bungie’s own RocketMoose to see what the very last recorded game was, and declare the winner to be whoever was closest to that number without going over.

For reference, the number in question is what you see at the end of URLs like this:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo2.aspx?gameid=802670688

Each game we record gets the next number in sequence. You can look at all the past games to get a feel for the current trend, and then guess what you think will happen in the next two months.

Meanwhile, there’s also a contest to be won for *playing*! Whoever gets the winning point (Kill, capture, etc.) in the very last valid, complete Halo 2 matchmade game to be recorded by our stats server snags this contest.

We’ve joked that the prizes for winning would be that we’ll unlock Recon in Halo 2 for you, but that would just be mean. Instead, we’ll be offering something even better. Way better. For now, we’re gonna keep it under wraps due to its top secret nature, but trust us, you want to win. You need to win.

And last up, we want to give you the chance to show the world in years to come that you’re a veteran of Halo 2. We can’t promise yet what this badge of honor will look like, but we’re currently thinking along the lines of a special commemorative emblem option in the Reach lobby, next to your name, in the spot we currently use for showing that you registered on Bungie.net. Who knows what else we’ll think of? But to do this, we need you to actually play a game of Halo 2 online using the LIVE account you want to use for Reach. Lots of you have a different account on your Xbox 360 than you had back in the days of Halo 2, so you should make sure that you can visit the following page with your current gamertag, and see at least one game listed in the Halo 2 tab:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Halo3/Default.aspx
"

Sounds like everyone should play Halo 2 on the 14th.

Around the Network
JaggedSac said:
I am hoping that one of the reasons they are shutting down original XBox game Live support was for Live service wide clan support. But even if Live doesn't make it standard, hopefully Reach implements it. But I would be all for clanning up with you guys. Not the best, but I ain't bad.

Xbox Lives original service shuts down April 15.

Halo: Reach beta starts May 3.

It makes it a good possibility sir!

Tease.

JaggedSac said:

Huh? Whats the non jargon description of that?

Tease.

Squilliam said:
JaggedSac said:

Huh? Whats the non jargon description of that?

Hitscan is a method of determining where a bullet hits.  When the player pulls the trigger, the game does not take any physics into consideration, such as bullet speed, gravity, etc, it says the bullet hits where the crosshair was at no matter the distance.  This helps for people who have to deal with lag, such as when people play with other people from across seas :)  Halo 2 used hitscan.

The DMR is a badass new rifle.  It is single shot rifle with power and range in between the BR and the sniper rifle.  It is going to be sweet.

@JaggedSac

yeah when I saw on the weekly update that Bungie are teasing "monumental, ambitious" stuff for multiplayer....well lets just say I got a BIG smile on my face

this game is going to be awsome looking forward to this game heaps