By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Official Halo: Reach Thread

Few quotes from Tech Analysis: Halo: Reach

The long wait is finally over. It's been three years since the mighty Master Chief bowed out in 2007's epic Halo 3, and while last year's ODST exhibited plenty of minor tweaks and improvements to the base tech, there was little doubt that the vast majority of the Bungie engine had remained untouched. While the gameplay delivered, core gamers spoiled by the cutting-edge graphical techniques seen in titles like Killzone 2 really wanted to see what a next-generation Bungie game could deliver.

Halo: Reach is that game, an enormous technical leap over its predecessors and competitors on 360 and an exciting example of a first-party exclusive that genuinely pushes the console into new technological territory - something we don't see so often on the Microsoft platform.

Reach manages to up the resolution to nigh-on full 720p, while retaining HDR and employing an inordinate amount of dynamic lights - every needle from the needler is a bespoke light source, for example. It strongly suggests that another major innovation is the implementation of some form of deferred rendering - something we can confirm for certain if our planned tech interview with the Reach team comes to fruition.

The improvements to the Halo 3 engine are substantial, to the point where Bungie says that the vast majority of the rendering systems have been rewritten from scratch. The result is a game that still looks like a Halo title, but when put to the test in terms of basic graphical comparisons, wipes the floor with its predecessors.

From a technical perspective, Halo: Reach is undoubtedly a colossal improvement over the previous games in the series: higher resolution without sacrificing HDR, tangibly improved poly counts, insane use of particles and alpha, far higher levels of dynamic lighting, four times the draw distance, four times the amount of enemy units... the list is seemingly never-ending. But for all its technical achievements, it's clearly still a Halo game. It looks like one, it plays like one - and that's all by design.

Halo: Reach is the revolution we've been waiting for: a genuinely superb game with a combined feature set that pushes Xbox 360 performance to the bleeding edge.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-halo-reach-tech-analysis-article

Around the Network

man no one is playing arena. the player counter shows its low. its usallay like 3k in arena and 55k in competitive. i hope bungie see's this and brings back halo 3's ranking system. no one wants to play arena it suck and it doesnt acuratly track skill, and only 2 playlists are u kidding weres my 6v6 playlist.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

I finally got a gold membership, someone ad me plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Try Gamefly for a month and get another one free!

http://gamefly.tellapal.com/a/clk/406vc

Tom Saville - Halo: REACH showreel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yecpg8nZjbM&feature=player_embedded

The SP was full of win for me. MP was niche, but I never did enjoy the MP side of Halo.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Around the Network

I would not call a company arrogant, because I am one of the few developers who listen to their fans. Customizations have great weapons, but only in forging and costumes do not match, shooting, or the campaign. Honestly, I am not sure that many, if not a game

This game was my first Halo, just one word : WOW

Im a PS3 person and i have to say that the halo series along with crackdown series are probably the only reason that id ever buy an xbox so keep at it and i may just buy an xbox

Wait... does this mean im not human?

PSN addy - mrx95

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. - Nelson Mandela

A radical is a man with his feet planted firmly in the air. - Franklin.D.Roosevelt