By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why did you buy your PS3? (The strongest reason.)

Why did you buy your PS3? (The strongest reason.)

Brand loyalty. 93 22.20%

Blu-ray. 47 11.22%

Exclusive games. 181 43.20%

Reliability of hardware. 30 7.16%

Free online play - PSN/web browser. 20 4.77%

Other (Please describe below) 48 11.46%

Total:419

Free online

Around the Network

i chose "other". I bought my ps3 when it pretty much had no games. Yeah, mid 2007. The true reason was backwards compatibility. I wanted to still be able to play my old games while having the ability to roll with whatever new nex-gen game interested me.

Looking back now that I have a slim with no BC, I didn't really need BC since my ps2 is still around so perhaps I should have waited and analyzed the situation a bit more but I've come to really love some ps3 games (killzone 2 FTW) and as such, wouldn't have it any other way.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

1) the Reliability
2) the exclusive games (MGS4)
3) Free online

the exclusives of course.

free online gaming and blu-ray were an awesome bonus too.

I bought my PS3 for home!!!

No I bought it because I thought Final Fantasy would be exclusive and because I love so many of the games I'd played on ps2 and ps1 in the past. There was never a question in my mind that I wouldn't buy PS3. I bought my first PS3 day one a 60 gig for $600. Sold it on ebay the next day for $2000 dollars, oh hell yah! Had to stay in a Walmart for 36 hours to get it. It was all worth it.

Around the Network

I was other.

My primary reason was the overall media center capabilities. I have also just upgraded my TV and my PCs to Windows 7 and the PS3 not only gave me a bluray player and games console, but also the amazing ability to easily view my media content on any PC and various internet features.

Final Fantasy XIII and God of War III

wish there was an option for "all of the above". ended up clicking exclusives, its part of the reason.

not to mention playstation and sony are sinonymus for QUALITY!!!!!

GoW III + MGS4 = Win

Blu ray + games library (mainly MGS4, LBP, KZ and others).

Also here in Europe, PS is the more popular brand.