By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why did you buy your PS3? (The strongest reason.)

Why did you buy your PS3? (The strongest reason.)

Brand loyalty. 93 22.20%

Blu-ray. 47 11.22%

Exclusive games. 181 43.20%

Reliability of hardware. 30 7.16%

Free online play - PSN/web browser. 20 4.77%

Other (Please describe below) 48 11.46%

Total:419
weaveworld said:
Just bought it an hour ago.
Mainly because of FFXIII, and the now better becoming catalogue of games.

Congratulations to you.

About the topic:

I had already enjoyed a Wii for more than a year when I got my slim.

Basically, I got Sony's console because of Valkyria Chronicles and both Uncharted games.  The price drop was quite important for me too.

Around the Network

Good Value entertainment device and if you know how it really does do EVERYTHING!

Well definitely blu-ray players was my first reason. And it shows increasingly more today, as I've only bought 6 games for the system and played... well none of them haha (although I've played a handful on my bro's PS3 in the 3 years leading up to my own PS3 purchase). The second reason I got it was for the exclusive games (mainly Last Guardian) but I've rarely had time for PS3 over my 360 or Wii so not one of the strongest reasons.

But I probably don't give my PS3 enough time and I let it get dusty. My fault, of course, but it's hard being a 3 console owner haha.

Tallgeese101 said:
I saw my PS3 selling for £150 back when it was retailing for about £280. Easy choice to make when I knew I would not have to fork out for extra accessories.

KZ was coming out soon and FF13 still being exclusive sealed the deal. Not regretted it for a second, its still the cheapest I've heard of getting one even now after the price cuts and slim.

got mine for £125 from a friend though.

on-topic: my reason is the games, i wanted the exclusive games and the multiplatform games the wii never gets.

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434
Squilliam said:

Play Station. Which proves how stupid it is to buy a system at launch, on brand recognition alone, with no really good games and hot, unreliable hardware which is almost assured to break down eventaully and henceforth force me to buy a second one before the generation is out.

Should have waited... like every other smart person with PS3s. Its the last time I'll buy a console at launch anyway.

So yeah, Brand name, like most people who got a PS3 I guess. Its comforting to know that most people bought one for this reason.

Edit: im talking about 60GB and early 40GB PS3s as unreliable. Beyond the 65nm shrunk 40GB model I would call them somewhat reliable and the present slims would be reliable.

And in what ways is the 40GB PS3 unreliable? Cause I own it for 3 years now and never had a single problem...

Around the Network
AngelosL said:
Squilliam said:

Play Station. Which proves how stupid it is to buy a system at launch, on brand recognition alone, with no really good games and hot, unreliable hardware which is almost assured to break down eventaully and henceforth force me to buy a second one before the generation is out.

Should have waited... like every other smart person with PS3s. Its the last time I'll buy a console at launch anyway.

So yeah, Brand name, like most people who got a PS3 I guess. Its comforting to know that most people bought one for this reason.

Edit: im talking about 60GB and early 40GB PS3s as unreliable. Beyond the 65nm shrunk 40GB model I would call them somewhat reliable and the present slims would be reliable.

And in what ways is the 40GB PS3 unreliable? Cause I own it for 3 years now and never had a single problem...

Early lead free solder sucks.

Tease.

Ramify said:
Ssenkahdavic said:

Other: The controller.

Since the PS1, I have been primarily a Playstation Gamer (tho I absolutely love my DC). Keeping the same controller (for the most part) was my primary reason for sticking with the PS3. Dont get me wrong here, there is NOTHING wrong with the 360 controller, it just never felt right to me.

Bought 2 of each of those consoles on day 1 (sold 1 of each on ebay for metricfucktons of money) and just ended up sticking with my PS3 (gave my 360 to my g/f about 2 years ago after a RRoD warranty repair).

That's very interesting you say that. In the poll I was gonna put an option "Controller" but it only gave me six spots. =(

I completely understand where ur coming from,  the feel of the controller is important, particularly when ur used to something for many many years, something different in your hand doesnt feel right. To think the ps3 controller was gonna be this:

http://mfugett.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/ps3-first-controller.jpg

Wow.

I didn't know about that controller. Ugly stuff.

Because is teh best system out there for me tho, games, control, and im a sony fan =)

FF for starters.

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E

I wanted to have the best and most advanced console ever made

I bought it the same day with a Wii