Forums - Microsoft Discussion - BOOM! Alan Wake for PC canned

BOOM! Alan Wake for PC canned

Total:0
Mendicate Bias said:
vlad321 said:
Mendicate Bias said:
vlad321 said:
Mendicate Bias said:

Your arguing that a company that has posted a profit for every single year since its creation doesn't know how to run a business. Do you honestly think that they don't do market research before they make these decisions? Sorry but I'm going to be more inclined to trust business decisions by a company that posted a multi-billion dollar profit last quarter than some dude that thinks PC's>everything on a forum.

You do realize that the people running it have changed? Also I'm sorry but it's a well known fact that businesses have been out of touch with the consumers. The only reason Windows has posted a profit is because it had just about no competition on its 2 main revenue streams. It's until very recently that Macs and Linux have become viable alternatives. So I'm not gonna be a blind fanboy who is completely ignorant of how PCs work, and their history,  and point out a major flaw in Microsoft's strategy.

No competition, seriously? They have had massive competition in browsers, search engines, home entertainment systems, Office, heck even their OS has had competition. They released a premature product with Vista and came right back with Windows 7, probably the best general use OS on the market. And the whole time they were posting a profit. Its not called being a fanboy, its having common sense.

Two decades ago PC gaming was pushing the OS market, not anymore. Like you said most PC gaming is going towards flash, so clearly something else is keeping Windows on top. Pushing more games onto the 360 will not hurt the sales of their OS in the least.

I'll say it once more, a company that posts a profit every quarter doesn't make decisions because it feels like it. Their is market research done, budget reviews, sales trend analysis and a bunch of other statistical research. Some guy sitting in his room posting on a forum does not know how to run one of the most successful  multi-billion dollar business's in history better than the people in charge at MS.

And have you realized that Apple has been getting a biggr and bigger marketshare of the OS market? Hell even Linux has had more penetration. This isn't about them not making profits. It's about them making less money by getting rid of PC gaming than if they supported it. Why? Because their Xbox devision's profits are so marginally small compared to their OS/Office that it's not even funny. They'd have to increase the Xbox profits a huge amount to account for even a 1% drop in their market share of OS/Office.

Yes but a good company doesn't look at what makes it money now, a good company looks into the future and tries to identify major revenue streams for the future. As much as you don't want to admit it consoles are only going to get bigger in the future. Its probably going to get to the point where having a console is as common as having a PC. When that happens MS wants to have the infrastructure in place to take advantage of the market. So just because the Xbox isn't a major revenue stream for the company now doesn't mean it won't be in the future. Markets are always changing and MS is investing now to secure their future.

Theres plenty of third parties releasing games on PC so PC only gamers don't have to worry yet. Besides its not like PC gamers have any alternative OS's for gaming. MS doesn't have to worry.

Are you implying that the Xbox will someday make more money than their Windows/Office line? Are you saying that they will come even remotely close to it? Doing a quick google gives me the numbers for Q1 of 2009. $167mil for their EDD devision, and $3.8bil for their Client devision. Here I'll do the math for you. For each percent of sales they give up from the OS/Office income, their EDD division needs to increase by 25%. Having a console will NEVER be as common as having a PC because all consoles do are entertainment. Meanwhile the best jobs in the world, literally THE BEST, require a PC. So no I'm sorry. Consoles lose and Microsoft is fucking up majorly here.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network

Good move. MS needs more real 360 exclusives and not just console exclusives.

I think he's implying that the xbox can become a big part off their revenue and company just like the playstation is for sony not that it will overtake their core os and software business.

Lord Flashheart said:
I think he's implying that the xbox can become a big part off their revenue and company just like the playstation is for sony not that it will overtake their core os and software business.

More or less right. By promoting gaming on the 360 more than the PC (one of the few true incentives to use WIndows over alternatives), they will certainly lose some marketshare of their OS/Office profits. The question is if they will make it up with their EDD profits. As I said earlier, a 1% drop in their Client division would have to have the EDD go up by 25% for it to balance out. Somehow I don't think that will happen at all.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Badassbab said:
Good move. MS needs more real 360 exclusives and not just console exclusives.

Exactly...and it was cheap too,considering the time it took Alan Wake to finally...awake

Around the Network
Lord Flashheart said:
Until Linux is as easy to use as windows, DL, click, install, run, or an alternative comes out that does make it as simple as that windows will stay on top.
That's why windows sold. Command based os wont reach the masses these days. I have a good knowledge of PC's and how to use them but getting ubuntu to do what I wanted was a chore.
Ease of access and familiarity is windows biggest selling point over other os.
All those gamers who bought windows for gaming also bought it to use as a pc. I doubt gaming whilst a big factor for a lot of gamers was as big an influence in windows success as you think. Windows was already the number 1 os before gaming took off on the PC.

If you choose well supported HW, Ubuntu is very easy. Preinstalled it would be even easier. I know people who "opens the Internet" (if not even "opens Facebook", or another site they prefer) and they don't even know they arte using IE to browse... A friend of my sister's had her IE messed up, she did understand so little I couldn't do anything by phone, then an ex-bf of my sister, who happened to having seen her PC and what programs she had, told her to just launch FF instead of IE (not knowing she already had it, I didn't dare to suggest her by phone to install it). She wasn't very happy because she had a handy icon directly launching IE on FBK so that she hadn't to type the address, I told her to just tell FF to save the session when she closed it (it was really impossible by phone to have her make that icon or create another icon to directly launch FF on FBK) and all was solved, although in a suboptimal way.

For people like that, preinstallation, just like it happens for Windows, an icon to directly open FBK, another for Google, one for the mail, and they otfen use web mail, and little else would be enough to making them not notice whether they are using an OS or another.

About gaming on PC: DOS was big in gaming when in consoles world only Nintendo was surviving, Windows 3.x was an absolute dwarf, but it ran on DOS, so no problem, Win9x started Windows' growth in gaming, particularly when DirectX 5 started improving the abysmal performances of DX 2 and 3 (on my low end first PC DX 5 made playable some games previously unplayable).

Gaming helped a lot Win9x, but IBM clumsiness with OS/2 helped it even more, also because while years after MS, just threatened with fines, preferred disobeying antitrust and tribunals' rulings to carry on unfair practices that were increasing its power and wealth, back then IBM, fearing to be split, complied even more than necessary.

So the situation is by no means simple, gaming was just one of many factors, not the biggest, but not small, though.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

vlad321 said:
Lord Flashheart said:

More or less right. By promoting gaming on the 360 more than the PC (one of the few true incentives to use WIndows over alternatives), they will certainly lose some marketshare of their OS/Office profits. The question is if they will make it up with their EDD profits. As I said earlier, a 1% drop in their Client division would have to have the EDD go up by 25% for it to balance out. Somehow I don't think that will happen at all.

There is a third possibilty: if they know their Client division will lose market share anyway, gaming or not, they MUST grow in other markets. So these moves could mean they already know that despite still growing in absolute numbers, Windows and Office are shrinking, or are going to, in market share.

BTW, another big business opportunity, cellphone market, was already slipping from their hands even before Google's Android made Linux+Java even stronger, as it was already second after Symbian, with iPhone and Blackberry already chewing more and more shares from Windows CE/Mobile. So pushing consoles could also be meant to make up for phones lost opportunity, knowing that Win+Office share won't grow again anymore to achieve the same compensation, a fourth possibility.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I seen the newest trailer for this game. At first I liked it but then as it went on...I started to lose interest. Hopefully it was just a bad trailer.

@Alba
I wasn't implying that gaming didn't help windows just that it's not as big as some people think.
Unless current linux enable you to do everything using the gui and not command lines the person you described would struggle with it probably to the point where it's unusable for them should they need to do more than open ie.
Thats where windows really shone and how they really won over the market. Ease of use.
DOS was a breeze to use and I still remember most of the commands as they were simple and made sense. The commands in linux aren't like that.

I expect to see this on Games for Windows 3 years from now. Just like Halo 2.