By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - BOOM! Alan Wake for PC canned

BOOM! Alan Wake for PC canned

Total:0

i just don't see this game being a system seller it needs better marketing by microsoft if they want it to sell more 360s

Fuck

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
Mendicate Bias said:
vlad321 said:
Mendicate Bias said:
vlad321 said:
Does Microsoft realize they desperately need gaming on the PC? Windows is tied to gaming, and it's a huge reason many people buy Windows instead of just putting Linux on their machine, and Open Office by default. The more Microsoft fucks PC gamers the more they are fucking their real revenue stream by a wide margin for one of their more worthless divisions.

Do you honestly think that people will switch to Linux because of games when most people don't even know how to switch from Internet Explorer. Making people switch to consoles is beneficial to MS since they get royalties which they don't on the PC so in terms of business its a very smart decision.

Yes. Linux or Mac. Do you honestly think people who can get their gaming elsewhere will stick with something so bad as Windows? Also people don't even have to know about how to switch from IE, considering OEM companies are already selling machines with pre-installed Linux on them. Trust me, Microsoft is fucking their real revenue stream for nothing. On the upside, this makes shit a lot easier on google, so I guess there is a silver lining after all.

Most people don't know anything about pc's past starting up their browser, good luck teaching them how to use Linux. PC games aren't going anywhere their just being made by smaller developers, its becoming the home of indie companies. The bigger developers are going to consoles. Thats just a fact that you can't get around, it has nothing to do with Windows, Mac or Linux. Unless Apple start funding major first party titles for their Mac gaming is staying on windows for the foreseeable future, like it or not. 

Yes and you don't seem to realize gaming on Windows was what sold millions and millions of copies of Windows, and by association Office. Also people can easily go to Macs, not just Linux. Making indie games using online stuff like Flash is even more popular than those indie games you mention. Meanwhile Linux Mint already comes with Flash, it's more of a windows clone than even Ubuntu. Gaming is the only big plus, alongside price (and console gaming can tell you people don't mind that much at all as they are willing to bend over for the biggest PoS), Windows has had over Macs as of late, and Microsoft if going through great lengths to hurt its primary revenue stream for a the relatively worthless Xbox devision.

Your arguing that a company that has posted a profit for every single year since its creation doesn't know how to run a business. Do you honestly think that they don't do market research before they make these decisions? Sorry but I'm going to be more inclined to trust business decisions by a company that posted a multi-billion dollar profit last quarter than some dude that thinks PC's>everything on a forum.

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers

Mendicate Bias said:
vlad321 said:
Mendicate Bias said:
vlad321 said:
Mendicate Bias said:
vlad321 said:
Does Microsoft realize they desperately need gaming on the PC? Windows is tied to gaming, and it's a huge reason many people buy Windows instead of just putting Linux on their machine, and Open Office by default. The more Microsoft fucks PC gamers the more they are fucking their real revenue stream by a wide margin for one of their more worthless divisions.

Do you honestly think that people will switch to Linux because of games when most people don't even know how to switch from Internet Explorer. Making people switch to consoles is beneficial to MS since they get royalties which they don't on the PC so in terms of business its a very smart decision.

Yes. Linux or Mac. Do you honestly think people who can get their gaming elsewhere will stick with something so bad as Windows? Also people don't even have to know about how to switch from IE, considering OEM companies are already selling machines with pre-installed Linux on them. Trust me, Microsoft is fucking their real revenue stream for nothing. On the upside, this makes shit a lot easier on google, so I guess there is a silver lining after all.

Most people don't know anything about pc's past starting up their browser, good luck teaching them how to use Linux. PC games aren't going anywhere their just being made by smaller developers, its becoming the home of indie companies. The bigger developers are going to consoles. Thats just a fact that you can't get around, it has nothing to do with Windows, Mac or Linux. Unless Apple start funding major first party titles for their Mac gaming is staying on windows for the foreseeable future, like it or not. 

Yes and you don't seem to realize gaming on Windows was what sold millions and millions of copies of Windows, and by association Office. Also people can easily go to Macs, not just Linux. Making indie games using online stuff like Flash is even more popular than those indie games you mention. Meanwhile Linux Mint already comes with Flash, it's more of a windows clone than even Ubuntu. Gaming is the only big plus, alongside price (and console gaming can tell you people don't mind that much at all as they are willing to bend over for the biggest PoS), Windows has had over Macs as of late, and Microsoft if going through great lengths to hurt its primary revenue stream for a the relatively worthless Xbox devision.

Your arguing that a company that has posted a profit for every single year since its creation doesn't know how to run a business. Do you honestly think that they don't do market research before they make these decisions? Sorry but I'm going to be more inclined to trust business decisions by a company that posted a multi-billion dollar profit last quarter than some dude that thinks PC's>everything on a forum.

You do realize that the people running it have changed? Also I'm sorry but it's a well known fact that businesses have been out of touch with the consumers. The only reason Windows has posted a profit is because it had just about no competition on its 2 main revenue streams. It's until very recently that Macs and Linux have become viable alternatives. So I'm not gonna be a blind fanboy who is completely ignorant of how PCs work, and their history,  and point out a major flaw in Microsoft's strategy.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Until Linux is as easy to use as windows, DL, click, install, run, or an alternative comes out that does make it as simple as that windows will stay on top.
That's why windows sold. Command based os wont reach the masses these days. I have a good knowledge of PC's and how to use them but getting ubuntu to do what I wanted was a chore.
Ease of access and familiarity is windows biggest selling point over other os.
All those gamers who bought windows for gaming also bought it to use as a pc. I doubt gaming whilst a big factor for a lot of gamers was as big an influence in windows success as you think. Windows was already the number 1 os before gaming took off on the PC.

vlad321 said:
Mendicate Bias said:
vlad321 said:

I think you know that Linux and Mac doesn't have support for every PC game. What's the point of comparing Linux, Mac and Windows if the best gaming experience is on the Windows/Windows live?

Around the Network
Lord Flashheart said:
Until Linux is as easy to use as windows, DL, click, install, run, or an alternative comes out that does make it as simple as that windows will stay on top.
That's why windows sold. Command based os wont reach the masses these days. I have a good knowledge of PC's and how to use them but getting ubuntu to do what I wanted was a chore.
Ease of access and familiarity is windows biggest selling point over other os.
All those gamers who bought windows for gaming also bought it to use as a pc. I doubt gaming whilst a big factor for a lot of gamers was as big an influence in windows success as you think. Windows was already the number 1 os before gaming took off on the PC.

Linux Mint and Ubuntu already come pre-installed on many netbooks. Also Mac beats ease of use of Windows by a wide margin, even I can't argue that and I hate Apple. I'm also well aware Windows was #1 OS before Windows gaming, and do I need to remding you that that was back in the '80s. How many viable competitors existed for Windows back then? Windows became on top because it was the only viable OS. It stayed there because a bunch of software was compatible with only Windows. Now the only large group of software which is available only on Windows is games. To put it bluntly, the 2 conditions which put Windows on top are now gone, lack of viable competition and "exclisve" software.

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Hisiru said:
vlad321 said:
Mendicate Bias said:
vlad321 said:

I think you know that Linux and Mac doesn't have support for every PC game. What's the point of comparing Linux, Mac and Windows if the best gaming experience is on the Windows/Windows live?

I also thought that you realized I wasn't talking about gaming at all on a Mac or Linux. I guess I was wrong.

vlad321 said:
Hisiru said:
vlad321 said:
Mendicate Bias said:
vlad321 said:

I also thought that you realized I wasn't talking about gaming at all on a Mac or Linux. I guess I was wrong.

Also, if Windows has the best gaming experience, easy and known interface that anyone will recognize, why would the majority of the people use linux or mac? You can buy a PC with pre-installed Linux and buy another OS later. It doesn't matter if the PCs are coming with pre-installed Linux, it won't change the fact that people can buy another OS, and the Windows 7 is actually selling pretty well. If I am not mistaken, Microsoft even said that Windows 7 is the best selling OS, how can you claim that someone is fucking their real revenue if the Windows 7 broke a record?

-EDIT-

Oh here:

"the fastest-selling operating system of all time"

http://www.ip-192.com/2010/01/29/windows-7-os/

Vlad I meant ease of access and use for the everyday layman.
They are used to windows and getting them to learn something new is a possibility but extremely difficult. I just got both my parents a new mobile and the change had them stumped even though it ran very similar to their old phones so imagine explaining how to use a Mac.
It doesn't matter how easy something is to use if it's unfamiliar then people will stuggle.
Thats what keeps windows on top. As for gaming the hardware upgrades help. I don't even know if an 8800 can fit in a Mac? Does it use the same ram as a desktop? If it does then Apple need to advertise this fact. Get nVidia and ATI to make it more known on their products that they work in Macs.
Yes you can use the hardware in linus but then you have to use linux.

Edit: I thought you meant people could take their gaming to the mac or linux but my point stands about the hardware upgrade.

vlad321 said:
Mendicate Bias said:

You do realize that the people running it have changed? Also I'm sorry but it's a well known fact that businesses have been out of touch with the consumers. The only reason Windows has posted a profit is because it had just about no competition on its 2 main revenue streams. It's until very recently that Macs and Linux have become viable alternatives. So I'm not gonna be a blind fanboy who is completely ignorant of how PCs work, and their history,  and point out a major flaw in Microsoft's strategy.

No competition, seriously? They have had massive competition in browsers, search engines, home entertainment systems, Office, heck even their OS has had competition. They released a premature product with Vista and came right back with Windows 7, probably the best general use OS on the market. And the whole time they were posting a profit. Its not called being a fanboy, its having common sense.

Two decades ago PC gaming was pushing the OS market, not anymore. Like you said most PC gaming is going towards flash, so clearly something else is keeping Windows on top. Pushing more games onto the 360 will not hurt the sales of their OS in the least.

I'll say it once more, a company that posts a profit every quarter doesn't make decisions because it feels like it. There is market research done, budget reviews, sales trend analysis and a bunch of other statistical research. Some guy sitting in his room posting on a forum does not know how to run one of the most successful  multi-billion dollar business's in history better than the people in charge at MS.

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers