By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - BOOM! Alan Wake for PC canned

BOOM! Alan Wake for PC canned

Total:0
Alby_da_Wolf said:
vlad321 said:
Lord Flashheart said:
I think he's implying that the xbox can become a big part off their revenue and company just like the playstation is for sony not that it will overtake their core os and software business.

More or less right. By promoting gaming on the 360 more than the PC (one of the few true incentives to use WIndows over alternatives), they will certainly lose some marketshare of their OS/Office profits. The question is if they will make it up with their EDD profits. As I said earlier, a 1% drop in their Client division would have to have the EDD go up by 25% for it to balance out. Somehow I don't think that will happen at all.

There is a third possibilty: if they know their Client division will lose market share anyway, gaming or not, they MUST grow in other markets. So these moves could mean they already know that despite still growing in absolute numbers, Windows and Office are shrinking, or are going to, in market share.

BTW, another big business opportunity, cellphone market, was already slipping from their hands even before Google's Android made Linux+Java even stronger, as it was already second after Symbian, with iPhone and Blackberry already chewing more and more shares from Windows CE/Mobile. So pushing consoles could also be meant to make up for phones lost opportunity, knowing that Win+Office share won't grow again anymore to achieve the same compensation, a fourth possibility.

that may be more true today than before.

just look at the Iphone, and Android and Symbian one only has to look at what's currently going on to see a pretty stark contrast from about 5 year's ago to now.

5 year's ago windows mobile was in one of the largest smart phone market and had a very sizable share of that market not so much anymore things change.

example:

Is Google’s Android Killing Windows Mobile?

http://gigaom.com/2009/07/30/is-googles-android-killing-windows-mobile/

for myself. I see it as

It's not like Windows Mobile is going away

now for Me its not like there is anything wrong with windows mobile hell right now i have a 8525 HTC myself , as a matter of fact I have alway's had a windows mobile smartphone in one shape or form since 2003, but this year I am looking toward getting an android phone , not because I do not like the windows moble phone OS anymore far from it, I just like the Android GUI better. and that's even with the new window's phone. I have tested both and I happen to like the Google OS Gui better. that's all.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network

its canned? well i still dont think it's going to be as good as campeels

joeorc said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
vlad321 said:
Lord Flashheart said:
I think he's implying that the xbox can become a big part off their revenue and company just like the playstation is for sony not that it will overtake their core os and software business.

More or less right. By promoting gaming on the 360 more than the PC (one of the few true incentives to use WIndows over alternatives), they will certainly lose some marketshare of their OS/Office profits. The question is if they will make it up with their EDD profits. As I said earlier, a 1% drop in their Client division would have to have the EDD go up by 25% for it to balance out. Somehow I don't think that will happen at all.

There is a third possibilty: if they know their Client division will lose market share anyway, gaming or not, they MUST grow in other markets. So these moves could mean they already know that despite still growing in absolute numbers, Windows and Office are shrinking, or are going to, in market share.

BTW, another big business opportunity, cellphone market, was already slipping from their hands even before Google's Android made Linux+Java even stronger, as it was already second after Symbian, with iPhone and Blackberry already chewing more and more shares from Windows CE/Mobile. So pushing consoles could also be meant to make up for phones lost opportunity, knowing that Win+Office share won't grow again anymore to achieve the same compensation, a fourth possibility.

that may be more true today than before.

just look at the Iphone, and Android and Symbian one only has to look at what's currently going on to see a pretty stark contrast from about 5 year's ago to now.

5 year's ago windows mobile was in one of the largest smart phone market and had a very sizable share of that market not so much anymore things change.

example:

Is Google’s Android Killing Windows Mobile?

http://gigaom.com/2009/07/30/is-googles-android-killing-windows-mobile/

for myself. I see it as

It's not like Windows Mobile is going away

now for Me its not like there is anything wrong with windows mobile hell right now i have a 8525 HTC myself , as a matter of fact I have alway's had a windows mobile smartphone in one shape or form since 2003, but this year I am looking toward getting an android phone , not because I do not like the windows moble phone OS anymore far from it, I just like the Android GUI better. and that's even with the new window's phone. I have tested both and I happen to like the Google OS Gui better. that's all.

I agree, Win Mobile was bigger, in market share, some years ago, before iPhone debut and Blackberry comeback, it came even to be first in some higher segments of the market, but it was losing an awful lot of money and results were abysmal compared to investments, as overall, just before iPhone came, Symbian was first anyway and even the fragmented galaxy of systems based on Linux+Java (before Android) managed to beat it, ranking second.  http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q1.07/50755EA6-A759-42FD-84ED-EBB5A060AF16.html analyses the situation preceding iPhone debut: it was written when iPhone was announced, before sales actually started and it's quite biased (more in the tones than in the facts) in favour of Apple, nevertheless it was right in its analysis of Win CE/Mobile's flaws and failures and predictions of iPhone's success.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!