By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mario Galaxy Review--SPONSORED BY SONY!

RolStoppable said:

@omgwtfbbq

Is that the same duct tape Nintendo uses to produce the Wii hardware? 

Don't be ridiculous. Don't you OWN a Wii? Nintendo clearly uses white duct tape.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network

Nah you guys have it all wrong, Gamecube was merely a Wii with missing components : P

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

RolStoppable said:
omgwtfbbq said:
RolStoppable said:

@omgwtfbbq

Is that the same duct tape Nintendo uses to produce the Wii hardware?

Don't be ridiculous. Don't you OWN a Wii? Nintendo clearly uses white duct tape.

Maybe the duct tape in your post is used for the new color of the Wii? Didn't Surfer Girl post a rumor about new Wii colors?
Yes apparently Nintendo has been placing large orders of green, red and blue duct tape.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

"....is that the evil dragon Bowser...."
wait bowsers a dragon???
i thought he was a turtle.....???
This is the funniest article i have seen in a long time

benfritz said:

I usually dont wade into forum discussions of my work, but I felt a need here. You're all welcome to your opinions of my Mario Galaxy review, of course, and I really enjoy reading them.

But I must say that the accusation I was paid off by or am kissing up to Sony is completely absurd. Variety is a professional newspaper and the advertising and editorial departments are totally separate. I have no idea who will be advertising on our website or in our print edition each day, nor do I care to know.

If Sony actually were trying to influence our editorial coverage, they would probably be pretty unhappy with our negative reviews of Lair and Heavenly Sword (both edited, but not written by me) and the many articles I have written pointing out how the Wii and (to a lesser extent) 360 are kicking the PS3's ass in sales, as well as how the DS is creaming the PSP.

-Ben Fritz

I have a hard time believing this is Ben Fritz, but I'll bite anyway. Professional magazine or not (yahtzee is about the most credible review source anyway if that tells you how respected being professional is in the video game world) I have doubts about your legitimacy as a serious video game reviewer. I can live with bad reviews, as I'm not a console warrior or fanboy.  I didn't buy Galaxy, instead opting for Assassin's Creed since I preordered it way back in February. Generally speaking I'm a pretty neutral guy, I go on evidence to form my opinions. For the most part I keep my gob shut. 

This review, however, is so contrary to every other review, post, and personal talks with friends so far, compounded with the fact that your site has been slammed for bad Nintendo reviews before (Metroid Prime 3 being one of the most recent and prominent), and the repeated hint dropping practically forces the conclusion.

As little word of advice, if you're going to slam a high profile game for some pretty oddball reasons, next time use that valuable space to justify that reasoning in a more clear and concise manner instead of plugging the PS3 and R&C.  

Sorry man, but as a professional journalist you should know better than to submit writing with the reasoning of a 15 year old. You should know your writing is subject to public scrutiny, this game much more than others. 

As far as the advertising/editing "wall", yes I know you write whatever you want, but you wouldn't be in that position to write whatever you want unless you shared the same ideology. It's not editor policy, it's hiring policy. 

Didn't you read your Edward Bernays?

Again, sorry to sound mean about it. I'm sure you're a nice guy, but can you honestly sit there and tell us any non-biased person (submit it to PC Gamer, they could care less about consoles) reading this review could honestly come to the conclusion that it's anything but a R&C commercial? 

Around the Network

It's true though that R&C: TOD offers far better graphics, especially from a technical perspective. With regard to art direction, that would be a matter of taste. Similar with regard to God of War 2, some people may prefer its art direction.

IMO Ratchet & Clank: TOD is the best looking game I have played so far, so IMO this shouldn't be seen too negatively. Mario Galaxy pushes Wii graphics to new levels like Ratchet does this for the PS3, God of War 2 probably did the same for the PS2.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
It's true though that R&C: TOD offers far better graphics, especially from a technical perspective. With regard to art direction, that would be a matter of taste. Similar with regard to God of War 2, some people may prefer its art direction.

IMO Ratchet & Clank: TOD is the best looking game I have played so far, so IMO this shouldn't be seen too negatively. Mario Galaxy pushes Wii graphics to new levels like Ratchet does this for the PS3, God of War 2 probably did the same for the PS2.

While graphically you can argue R&C is better, there is no arguing that from a gameplay and controls standpoint SMG is far superior.

Holding the nunchuk, which moves Mario, and the Wii-mote, which makes him jump and spin, in separate hands, is an awkward arrangement. Since there’s only one thumbstick, players rarely have control of the camera and when they do, it’s not easy to manipulate. While the designers usually put the camera in the best position possible, it’s inevitable that gamers will sometimes wish they had a better view.

More importantly, “Galaxy” doesn’t make good use of the console’s motion sensing abilities. In a transparent add-on to do something with the Wii-mote, players can collect “star bits” by pointing at them. But they aren’t integral to the game and pointing at them is a chore.

His view of the controls and the camera is almost universally disagreed with 

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

@ Avinash_Tyagi

While graphically you can argue R&C is better, there is no arguing that from a gameplay and controls standpoint SMG is far superior

Actually you can, it's quite possible to not like the Wii-mote for a platform game over the Sixaxis (or at all), it's also quite possible that people don't like running around micro worlds upside down a lot of the time. That's a matter of personal preference just like art direction.

R&C: TOD IMO plays awesome with the Sixaxis, motion sensing adds well to the experience while flying around and in mini-games. My girlfriend had a little bit of trouble adjusting to the controls, moving + strafing + shooting + jumping + camera control + weapon selection + sixaxis controlled weapons, is quite a lot to digest in one go, but now she's really addicted!

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
@ Avinash_Tyagi

While graphically you can argue R&C is better, there is no arguing that from a gameplay and controls standpoint SMG is far superior

Actually you can, it's quite possible to not like the Wii-mote for a platform game over the Sixaxis (or at all), it's also quite possible that people don't like running around micro worlds upside down a lot of the time. That's a matter of personal preference just like art direction.

R&C: TOD IMO plays awesome with the Sixaxis, motion sensing adds well to the experience while flying around and in mini-games. My girlfriend had a little bit of trouble adjusting to the controls, moving + strafing + shooting + jumping + camera control + weapon selection + sixaxis controlled weapons, is quite a lot to digest in one go, but now she's really addicted!

See that would be you disliking the Wiimote, not that the controls are not superior, just your bias, but when everyone else says the Wiimote controls are amazing, then it shows that you are incorrect, its like saying that MP3 FPS controls are bad, that is totally incorrect, since everyone else says that the controls are better than dual analog

@ RolStoppable

If someone doesn't like the Wiimote or the Wii in general, he definitely shouldn't be reviewing Wii games and should let someone else, who is openminded, review the games.

It's also possible to like the Wii-mote, but just not it for just any type of game (similar as with a Joypad vs mouse vs arcade stick). I love the Wii mote a short simple play of Wii Sports and Wii Play, I don't fancy playing games like Grand Theft Auto, Resistance or Ratchet with a Wii-mote.

My mom hates playing simple games like Pacman (Deluxe Pocmon) or Galaga (Warblade) on a keyboard and doesn't fancy gamepads neither, I am getting her this for christmas:

PS3 vs 360 sales