By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mario Galaxy Review--SPONSORED BY SONY!

BenKenobi88 said:
Cmon, guys, let's not be stupid fanboys and blame Sony for this...seriously. This is this guy's opinion and words, not Sony's.

alliwantforchristmaisbadmarioreview

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
leo-j said:
@Ben

Just like gametrailers made the ps3 screw attack there top video today, so everyone can see it and not purchase a ps3.

Huh? For that situation, I also said it was Screw Attack's opinion about the PS3 sucking...what are you talking about?

It may have been ScrewAttack's opinion but for the most part was very true. I like the part where spots 8-10 didn't even include any games at all.

Oh yeah, the only thing that review made me do was laugh!

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

um...actually he said mario graphichs pale in comparison to those of ratchet and clank for ps3. It would have been better if he had spoken the truth.

All Wii games look like crap compared to the PS3

How is that being paid off. He said what I already knew. He said what everyone on this board already knew.

mancandy said:
@capslock

Legend11 has been around longer than you have, actually he's probably been here longer than 98% of the users in VGChartz.

Doesn't mean someone can't make a gimmick/joke post. Reg date does not equal anything other than him finding this site first. That's the only rational conclusion I could come to.

A) Hardcore fanboy--I'm a hardcore PC fanboy, and even I can see this review for what it is.

B) Didn't actually read the article--Possible.

C) Functionally retarded--I refuse to believe he is.

D) Joke post

I'd go with D personally, and give him the benefit of the doubt. I mean there's making a rational argument, and then there's denying evidence to an insane degree.

Evidence to support the claim that this is a blatant Sony sponsored shill job:

1) "Sponsored by Sony"

2) "But “Galaxy” makes poor use of the Wii’s motion-sensing controls and the graphics simply aren’t up to par with what players can now find on the Playstation 3 or Xbox 360." Fair enough, but why mention it in the opening paragraph of a review? Show me another source that does this for the Galaxy review. And now PCs have once again made a giant leap ahead of consoles in the power department, will this be factored into all of his future reviews? 

3) "While brisk sales are certain given the Wii’s popularity, the “Mario” franchise may now be vulnerable to a challenger on another console better suited to 3-D running and jumping." Blatant hinting at R&C. Hmm, what challenger and console could he have in mind?

4) "Holding the nunchuk, which moves Mario, and the Wii-mote, which makes him jump and spin, in separate hands, is an awkward arrangement." Since when is holding a controller in 2 hands awkward? 

5) "More importantly, “Galaxy” doesn’t make good use of the console’s motion sensing abilities. In a transparent add-on to do something with the Wii-mote, players can collect “star bits” by pointing at them. But they aren’t integral to the game and pointing at them is a chore." Makes me think he didn't even play it. And this is the first complaint I've heard about controls. Star bits are kind of important for, you know, unlocking Galaxies, finishing the game ...

6) "Fans may claim that the graphics are good “for the Wii,” but that argument quickly grows tired. There’s clever art design on many of the planets Mario visits, but given the vastly superior quality of the graphics in a game like “Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction,” currently available for the PS3, “Galaxy” looks old fashioned and lifeless." Well, at least he came out and said it. Managed to turn a Mario review into a PS3 add. 

I mean seriously, falling for this is roughly equal to falling for the whole "alliwantforxmasisapsp" thing last year.

So, given all this evidence that this is nothing more than bashing Mario Galaxy and the Wii in some half-assed attempt to make the PS3 and R&C look better "for the sponsors", I'd like to see some evidence to the contrary. I'm honestly curious about the reasoning behind anyone taking this review as anything more than a lame PS3 commercial.

If the guy was a "respected journalist", he sure isn't now.  

cAPSLOCK said: "Sponsored by Sony"

The entire section is "Sponsored by Sony", not this review. As you yourself noted, you can even get to it without the ad. The fact that a company like Sony sponsors a magazine's game (and movie) review section may be despicable, but is nothing new.

Now, I agree that the guy's an ass. I'd even go as far as saying that the fact the magazine gets money from Sony, leads to this kind of stuff happening (and I have the same experience with one of my Sony owned cable channels and their game and movie reviews, all riddled with PS ads and such).

But claiming that Sony is paying the guy directly to spew his trash, that's going too far, sorry.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
Around the Network
KruzeS said:
cAPSLOCK said: "Sponsored by Sony"

The entire section is "Sponsored by Sony", not this review. As you yourself noted, you can even get to it without the ad. The fact that a company like Sony sponsors a magazine's game (and movie) review section may be despicable, but is nothing new.

Now, I agree that the guy's an ass. I'd even go as far as saying that the fact the magazine gets money from Sony, leads to this kind of stuff happening (and I have the same experience with one of my Sony owned cable channels and their game and movie reviews, all riddled with PS ads and such).

But claiming that Sony is paying the guy directly to spew his trash, that's going too far, sorry.

Oh I agree on the last part, don't get me wrong. But this guy definitely had his sponsors in mind when writing this article. The change-over to the other part of the site didn't actually happen until people started bombarding the comment section pointing out that it was sponsored by Sony. That review with that bit of information doesn't even show up on google anymore, whereas last night it was the *only* version of the article.  That is pretty telling that it was intentional, because I can't think of an example where a site shuffles around articles to other sections and removes the sponsor tag.

Again, I'm not conspiracy theorist, but when you put all of this information together, and read the article, I fail to see how one could come to any other conclusion, and thus far the detractors have not provided a counter argument. 

For the record, no I am not a Nintendo fanboy. I own a PC (my main machine), a X360 (my main gaming console, and a Wii (my social machine).  I don't think it's asking too much for people to be fair and objective when weighing the evidence. 

well if he enjoys playing games with his hands awkwardly cramped together, I believe I have a solution for him to continue to do so on the Wii:

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

That's too funny. Reminds me of the reviews on Sony Defense Force.

Funny stuff. The guys bias is firmly implanted and I can't help but laugh. I'd love to see some of his other reviews. I can just imagine:

"A decent platformer with okay visuals for the hardware provided, but this would 3 billion times better on the PS3 or Xbox 360. The controls are awkward and often times confusing and flat out complicated." - Super Mario Bros. 3

"A somewhat long and bloated experience, there's definitely something to be proud of about this game, but it's not a lot. The analog controls are awkward and really need the fine touch of a good old d-pad. Also, it would be a 6 billion time better if it had the visual flair offered on the PS3 or Xbox 360" - Ocarina of Time

Current systems owned: Wii, 360. I'll get a PS3 when hell freezes over!... or when the price drops to a reasonable level. Whichever comes first.

Why would Sony pay such an unknown site for a biased review? Seems like a waste of money on something that would sway almost nobody from buying the game.