By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mario Galaxy Review--SPONSORED BY SONY!

benfritz said:

I usually dont wade into forum discussions of my work, but I felt a need here. You're all welcome to your opinions of my Mario Galaxy review, of course, and I really enjoy reading them.

But I must say that the accusation I was paid off by or am kissing up to Sony is completely absurd. Variety is a professional newspaper and the advertising and editorial departments are totally separate. I have no idea who will be advertising on our website or in our print edition each day, nor do I care to know.

If Sony actually were trying to influence our editorial coverage, they would probably be pretty unhappy with our negative reviews of Lair and Heavenly Sword (both edited, but not written by me) and the many articles I have written pointing out how the Wii and (to a lesser extent) 360 are kicking the PS3's ass in sales, as well as how the DS is creaming the PSP.

-Ben Fritz

The problem is, Ben, the game that you play seems too different than what we play.

It's like someone said Jessica Alba is ugly.

Around the Network

@ Avinash_Tyagi

since everyone else says that the controls are better'

Always have been an independent thinker, I could have lived in pre-WW2 Germany with everyone telling me what a great guy their leader is, but I wouldn't take their word for it.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
@ RolStoppable

If someone doesn't like the Wiimote or the Wii in general, he definitely shouldn't be reviewing Wii games and should let someone else, who is openminded, review the games.

It's also possible to like the Wii-mote, but just not it for just any type of game (similar as with a Joypad vs mouse vs arcade stick). I love the Wii mote a short simple play of Wii Sports and Wii Play, I don't fancy playing games like Grand Theft Auto, Resistance or Ratchet with a Wii-mote.

My mom hates playing simple games like Pacman (Deluxe Pocmon) or Galaga (Warblade) on a keyboard and doesn't fancy gamepads neither, I am getting her this for christmas:

Again this is the same guy who didn't like MP3's controls, I think its pretty clear he just doesn't like the Wiimote in general since on both of these games people have been very impressed by the Wii controls.

It would be like saying that Keyboard/mouse is terrible for FPS, you'd be laughed at 

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

MikeB said:
@ Avinash_Tyagi

since everyone else says that the controls are better'

Always have been an independent thinker, I could have lived in pre-WW2 Germany with everyone telling what a great guy their leader is, I wouldn't take their word for it.

There is independent and then there is stupid, this person i'm afraid falls into the latter.

You can be independent and say the world is made of cheese, doesn't make you right, heck the facts would say otherwise 

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

@ Avinash_Tyagi

Again this is the same guy who didn't like MP3's controls, I think its pretty clear he just doesn't like the Wiimote in general since on both of these games people have been very impressed by the Wii controls.

What's MP3? Mario Party? Are you talking about me or someone else?

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

@ Avinash_Tyagi

Thanks for attacking someone who loves Mario, likes the Wii-mote (just not for all type of games) and is supportive towards Nintendo. I believe you are a pretty extreme fanboy, accepting no little point of criticism.

OK, Nintendo is god, Wii-mote is perfect for anything! Happy now?

PS3 vs 360 sales

@ Avinash_Tyagi & RolStoppable

He implied that Ben Fritz falls into the category of being stupid, not independent. Considering the track record of Ben Fritz for Wii reviews it's totally understandable to say he is stupid.

OK sorry, I probably misunderstood. I have been attacked on here for my opinions before, so maybe I'm just a little jumpy.

I don't know the guy you are talking about.

PS3 vs 360 sales

benfritz said:

I usually dont wade into forum discussions of my work, but I felt a need here. You're all welcome to your opinions of my Mario Galaxy review, of course, and I really enjoy reading them.

But I must say that the accusation I was paid off by or am kissing up to Sony is completely absurd. Variety is a professional newspaper and the advertising and editorial departments are totally separate. I have no idea who will be advertising on our website or in our print edition each day, nor do I care to know.

If Sony actually were trying to influence our editorial coverage, they would probably be pretty unhappy with our negative reviews of Lair and Heavenly Sword (both edited, but not written by me) and the many articles I have written pointing out how the Wii and (to a lesser extent) 360 are kicking the PS3's ass in sales, as well as how the DS is creaming the PSP.

-Ben Fritz

Hmmm, so then the bias against the Wii is all your own doing?  Hardly gives me any more respect for you as a reviewer.

@ RolStoppable

OK, at first I was just responding to the original post.

With regard to controllers, I would love Nintendo and Sony to co-operate. Allowing full Wii-mote support on the PS3 and Sixaxis control on the Wii, technically that would probably be possible (an unofficial Linux driver is already available for the PS3). Both controllers are great in their own right and would allow some of the best of both worlds.

I know it's just wishful thinking though.

PS3 vs 360 sales

Yeah, Mike I wasn't attacking you, I was talking about the reviewer