By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mario Galaxy Review--SPONSORED BY SONY!

rocketpig said:
mancandy said:
fkusumot said:

Here's some more Ben Fritz snippets...

About "Mario Party 8":

Graphics are a big improvement over "Mario Party 7," but won't impress anybody who has had a glimpse of a Playstation 3 or Xbox 360.

About "Super Paper Mario":

Players will miss the ergonomic feel of modern controllers for the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.

This guy is obvouisly a retard.

How the hell am I going to miss playing a Nintendo game with 360 or PS3 controllers?

I don't see what is so wrong about those criticisms. MP8 doesn't have very good graphics and the Wiimote could definitely use a little ergonomic work. It's a poorly designed controller and Nintendo definitely could have done better. I love the idea behind the Wii and it's a boatload of fun but in 2007, having difficulty reaching all the buttons easily or having a controller dig into your hand after a long gaming session in unacceptable.

With that said, I don't see why he constantly compares the Wii to the 360 or PS3. Pointing out flaws is okay; constantly comparing vastly different systems is not. 
The point is that he has to mention the 360 and PS3 on a lot of his reviews. Everyone knows that Wii's graphics will never be on the level of the 360 or the PS3. So why the name dropping? Does he say this every damn time he reviews a Wii game? Does he always mention the PSP whenever he reviews a DS game? It's stupid.

Ergonomics is for women. Do you lift the pink weights at the gym or something? "This hundred pound weight doesn't feel comfortable in my hands" Just kidding :)

Seriously, no matter how far people have come along with ergonomic design... it's going to hurt if you do something for too long. I've played every controller out there for many hours... they all hurt after 5+ straight hours. Oh, I have no trouble reaching all the buttons on the Wii controller with my man hands. You must be playing the Wii with a lot of girls or little kids  

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

Around the Network
mancandy said:
The point is that he has to mention the 360 and PS3 on a lot of his reviews. Everyone knows that Wii's graphics will never be on the level of the 360 or the PS3. So why the name dropping? Does he say this every damn time he reviews a Wii game? Does he always mention the PSP whenever he reviews a DS game? It's stupid.

Ergonomics is for women. Do you lift the pink weights at the gym or something? "This hundred pound weight doesn't feel comfortable in my hands" Just kidding :)

Seriously, no matter how far people have come along with ergonomic design... it's going to hurt if you do something for too long. I've played every controller out there for many hours... they all hurt after 5+ straight hours. Oh, I have no trouble reaching all the buttons on the Wii controller with my man hands. You must be playing the Wii with a lot of girls or little kids  

I agree about bringing up the 360 or PS3... There's no reason for it. Judge the Wii on its own merits.

As for ergonomics, I can use the 360 controller indefinitely completely pain-free. I'm not saying the Wiimote is terrible, just that Nintendo could have done more with the design. It seems compromised to me. The decision to use it as both a pointer and an NES-style controller makes it flawed for both uses instead of transitioning between them seamlessly.

Then again, I hate pretty much everything and get accused of being super-critical on a daily basis. I can't think of a controller I have ever used that I couldn't find something to bitch about. The PS3's left analog is still in a stupid place (after ten years, I had hoped Sony would finally realize that), the 360's d-pad was designed by a dyslexic chimp, and the Dreamcast had the most idiotic wrist angle ever seen on a controller. The NES was a brick, the N64 felt like a sexual aide, etc. etc. etc.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
mesoteto said:
@Rocket--i dont think its anymore troublesome then learning how to work your tv remote--after a while it is just second nature

The difference is that I don't use my remote for five hours at a time nor do I expect to be forced to repeat rapid succession of buttons in a certain order in a precise manner while using it. Combine that with the fact that you often need to be pointing the Wiimote at the screen accurately while shifting your hand only compounds the problem.

You should witness my MP3 greatness.

RolStoppable said:

What ideas would you have for a better designed Wiimote? 

A diamond layout below the d-pad and more rounded corners would help immensely. Instead of the +/-, which isn't even used when the controller is horizontal, they could have easily implemented a diamond pattern of buttons a la the DS. It also would have allowed developers to stop using the friggin' d-pad for simple gameplay when the controller is being used as a pointer. It would have also allowed the gamer to not worry about losing his or her aim when pointing at the screen during gameplay.

And rounding the corners would have eased the digging the damned controller does to my palm after a few hours.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

benfritz said:

I usually dont wade into forum discussions of my work, but I felt a need here. You're all welcome to your opinions of my Mario Galaxy review, of course, and I really enjoy reading them.

But I must say that the accusation I was paid off by or am kissing up to Sony is completely absurd. Variety is a professional newspaper and the advertising and editorial departments are totally separate. I have no idea who will be advertising on our website or in our print edition each day, nor do I care to know.

If Sony actually were trying to influence our editorial coverage, they would probably be pretty unhappy with our negative reviews of Lair and Heavenly Sword (both edited, but not written by me) and the many articles I have written pointing out how the Wii and (to a lesser extent) 360 are kicking the PS3's ass in sales, as well as how the DS is creaming the PSP.

-Ben Fritz

5 bucks says that this is legend11. He's the only person on these forums I've seen that would go to such lengths over something so stupid. Any takers on that?

Around the Network
blaydcor said:
I see reviews like this all the time in newsweek; somewhere high they must have the same parent company. they've been bashing the wii and DS while shamelessly promoting sony for years.

on a side note, looking at legend11's posts on the 1st page, who else finds him extremely biased, naive, and obnoxius?

Ummm, did you see his other thread about how if SMG doesn't beat Halo 3's first week sales, it will be a HUGE dissappointment?  He likes to troll anything that is not xbox.

whatever said:
blaydcor said:
I see reviews like this all the time in newsweek; somewhere high they must have the same parent company. they've been bashing the wii and DS while shamelessly promoting sony for years.

on a side note, looking at legend11's posts on the 1st page, who else finds him extremely biased, naive, and obnoxius?

Ummm, did you see his other thread about how if SMG doesn't beat Halo 3's first week sales, it will be a HUGE dissappointment? He likes to troll anything that is not xbox.

I say that still strengthens blaydcor's argument. It just proves that he's insanely biased. It also seems like a shot at SMG, essentially calling it a disappointment because we all know that no game is going to sell like Halo 3 for a long time, if ever.

@Rol

I don't know if I was seeing right. The picture you sent me said you finished MP3 in 4 hours and 44 minutes with 100% completion... is that correct?

RolStoppable said:

Too many videogames in recent years have tried to add more and more functions to their gameplay with the use of more buttons. While you get 8 buttons on the 360/PS3 controllers that are comfortably to use (well, for experienced gamers), the Wiimote/Nunchuk combo offers you only 4. 

Only 4? C, Z, A, B, each direction on the d-pad, +/-,  also, you can swing the Wiimote or the nunchuck as input. Essentially 12 buttons that can be utilized by big monkey hands. How many buttons do people need?

Sounds like a review of Mario from Sony Defense Force. LOL