By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN: Best Games OVERALL! (And the winner is....)

So where are all the games they have given 10/10 this generation.

Are they now saying they were wrong about GTA IV and MGS4 with their perfect 10 scores?

They must be if this list is to go by because in their original scoring both the games I listed above have better scores than their top 10 games of the decade as listed here.

Around the Network

LOL at saying uncharted owes a lot to RE4.

With the exception of "they are both TPS" I beg to differ.  It obviouls pulls from it as any game does from any game that game before it, but I don't think it owes that much.

Sure there are treasures too, but used in totally different manners.

There's very limited inventory management in the uncharted series (just your two weapons) along with regeneration health, cover mechanics, actual platforming perodically.

There are chapters, but no real break in them.  There is no shop, no money, no weapon upgrade.  Story telling like RE4 and Uncharted has been around for a longer than both games.

I would argue it owes a lot more in essence and in style to Tomb Raider than RE4.

Slimebeast said:
Zucas said:
A very good list, but I'd so some number rearranging, outside of number 1. It's no doubt that Half Life 2 deserves to take that number 1 spot. But I think Resident Evil 4 DEFINITELY needs to be on that list. Moreso than Fallout 3 or Uncharted 2 or Battlefield 1942. And couldn't help but think that either Metroid Prime or Halo 1 should make an appearance.

But was actually a fairly good list, but I'm most disappointed in RE4 not being there. Especially to be beat out by Uncharted 2, which don't get me wrong is a great game, but in more ways than one owes a lot of its style and gameplay really to Resident Evil 4.

Really now?

Your kidding right haha.  Almost all third person action games nowadays stem from one product... Resident Evil 4.  Hell the whole cinematic action genre comes from it.  Resident Evil 4 was one of the most influential game going into the 7th generation.  Hell one of the ones I'm always pointing out that had influence of RE4 is that of Gears of War haha.  Cliffy B actually even stated that in a few interviews because it is pretty obvious he was a fan of the game like many others. 

People don't seem to give RE4 enough credit for how much affect it has had on the state of development in the 7th generation.  It is just astounding how many products have been influenced by it going into this current gen. 

EncodedNybble said:
LOL at saying uncharted owes a lot to RE4.

With the exception of "they are both TPS" I beg to differ.

Sure there are treasures too, but used in totally different manners.

There's very limited inventory management in the uncharted series along with regeneration health, cover mechanics, actual platforming perodically.

I would argue it owes a lot more in essence and in style to Tomb Raider than RE4.

Well you are straw manning what I'm saying.  I'm not stating that Naughty Dog just took RE4, copy and pasted it with new names and created Uncharted.  I mean the beauty of having influences is you don't copy and paste, just gets the idea flowing.  I mean as I showed with Gears of War, Cliffy B was inspired by the game on how it played and how it progressed.  Helped him make Gears of War the way he did.

It's obivous Uncharted has many influences as well, including the likes of Tomb Raider.  But it's not just the over the shoulder idea, but really the progression of the game and how a game plays out.  The whole idea of a cinematic action game.  I think if you were to ask Naughty Dog, they'd probably tell ya the same thing.  Just like Cliffy B did.  It's not taking away from Uncharted, just being respectful which I know the guys behind Naughty Dog would be. 

Laughed alot when I seen #1.

Around the Network
Zucas said:
Slimebeast said:
Zucas said:
A very good list, but I'd so some number rearranging, outside of number 1. It's no doubt that Half Life 2 deserves to take that number 1 spot. But I think Resident Evil 4 DEFINITELY needs to be on that list. Moreso than Fallout 3 or Uncharted 2 or Battlefield 1942. And couldn't help but think that either Metroid Prime or Halo 1 should make an appearance.

But was actually a fairly good list, but I'm most disappointed in RE4 not being there. Especially to be beat out by Uncharted 2, which don't get me wrong is a great game, but in more ways than one owes a lot of its style and gameplay really to Resident Evil 4.

Really now?

Your kidding right haha.  Almost all third person action games nowadays stem from one product... Resident Evil 4.  Hell the whole cinematic action genre comes from it.  Resident Evil 4 was one of the most influential game going into the 7th generation.  Hell one of the ones I'm always pointing out that had influence of RE4 is that of Gears of War haha.  Cliffy B actually even stated that in a few interviews because it is pretty obvious he was a fan of the game like many others. 

People don't seem to give RE4 enough credit for how much affect it has had on the state of development in the 7th generation.  It is just astounding how many products have been influenced by it going into this current gen. 

I can see the connection to Gears, and thus indirectly to Uncharted because it lends from Gears. (btw, was Resi 4 really the first big third person action game?)

But I dont understand the cinematic argument. Werent there tons of big cinematic action games before Resi 4?

ok, my misunderstanding then :)

@Slimebeast I can name at least 2 cinematic action games before RE4, both of which are TPSs to some degree.

MGS, MGS2 ;)

freebs2 said:
pastro243 said:
freebs2 said:
pastro243 said:
freebs2 said:
Half Life 2 for the first place= I can agree with that
No Metroid Prime in the list= Blasphemy!
Uncharted 2 =doesn't deserve to be on the list

Why not? It got a lot of critical acclaim.

How can they judge the importance of a game in a decade when it's only been out for 2 months? and beside that I don't agree with all the critical acclaim it has got. It's a game with gorgeus graphics and presentation but beside that it hasn't got anything that I haven't seen in other games before and it's also too repetitive in my opinion. Lots of games deserve a lot more to be on that list, -there isn't even Resident Evil4- I even preferred Jak2 also made by naughty dog instead

Well, they are not judging importance, they can obvously say if they think its a better game than the rest of the games just after they play it, doesnt have to have anything new if its well executed to be better than other games, and its IGNs list so they can give the order they want, after all I dont consider any game on their lists(except maybe wii sports) to be a bad game.

An unoriginal game may be a good game but after I played gears of war 1, gears2, uncharted1 another carbon copy game it's starting to get boring while when I've played Resident Evil 4 for example it was a totally new and mind blowing experience. They are reviewers not famboys they should be objective when they make this statements, not just following their personal tastes at the moment they have written the article. Giving such high-scores to games like uncharted2 and CODMW2 legitimate developers for not trying to innovate their games, look at what's happening to Dead Space 2 for example, EA has already told it will be more like uncharted and modern warfare.Whith this trend, in a few years there will be only carbon copy action games and FPSs.

You cant make an objective "best of the decade" list, the closer you can get is this, they think Uncharted 2 is better than RE4 thats why they decided to put it in the list.

And what legitimates developers to not innovate in their games is people, not reviewers, and I doubt one would bitch after playing a great quality game even if its not very original, and, its not like Uncharted 2 was a carbon copy of other games. if EA wants to make Dead Space similar to U2 or MW then they have to assume they will compete with these games too and all others that try to copy them, thing is, everytime something is succesful with a formula then others will follow, its nothing new.

This thread has way to much HL2 hate. The Half Life series deserves all the accolades it gets and for my money has the best level design of any fps ever made.

You can't make everyone happy with a list like this. All 10 of those games are excellent and while not the exact list or order I would have I think overall its a good list.