By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN: Best Games OVERALL! (And the winner is....)

switch KOTOR for MGS2,3, or 4 and the list is great. and yes HL2 deserves it.

Around the Network
Mazty said:
CGI-Quality said:
Mazty said:

BS BS BS.
Completed HL2 a few weeks ago. It's just not a good game. It's a generic corridor crawl with bugger all story, bugger all tactics, and the only good parts are the last two levels because of a)Seeing the inside of the Combine HQ b)The all-new-and-improved Gravity Gun.

Halo was made in 2000 and a far, far more influential game than HL2 ever was.
Also what about other genre defying games such as Devil May Cry, God of War, Soul Caliber 2, Call of Duty, Unreal Tournament, Perfect Dark etc?
What a god-awful pile of crap to pick as being the best of the decade.

Then again their choices for the best films for the decade can be described as malignant to the art of film making, missing films such as Gladiator, The Departed, Broke Back Mountain, Last King of Scotland, Downfall etc.

Please tell me you're kidding.

Not at all. THe game is highly over rated and I'll say why:

Who are you? A scientist. Who worked for Black Mesa. Who the hell are they...Well apparently having worked for them and having a suit makes you into Rambo. Hell, you don't need lean or to look down the barrel of your gun, just run and gun.I can understand why they opted for Gordon not to speak, but the fact that there is so much dialogue aimed at you, it broke the immersion for me as these odd monologues kept on occuring. And an invincible guy in a suit kept showing up every now and again, only to deliever the most confusing ending I've seen because who is he? What the hell is he on about? This leads me onto the story...

What story? Iif you've never played the first you are given no direction as to what is going on other than the earth has been invaded by the Combine. Are they bad people? They seem to be keeping the city people down but for all I know the rest of the world could be an eutopia where the rivers are made of chocolate with gumdrop trees covering acre after acre and every troop I kill I'm depriving them of a loving wife and children etc, you see where I'm going with that.
In game the story is this: You are on a train. You meet the rebels, the teleport messes up, you meet up with the rebel HQ, then the majority of the game is getting from point A (where you are) to point B (where the rebels are being held hostage). Oh and somehow the younger "attractive" chick falls for Gordon even though she doesn't know him and christ, this sh*t reads out like Twilight for nerdy guys - as opposed to a book, it's a game, and instead of vampires, you are a geeky Rambo.

The gameplay can be best described as adequate. You can't lean which is a real b*tch considering the game is a giant corridor crawl, with some awful, awful vehicle parts. Yes Valve, you modified the Havok engine, congratulations, your vehicles still handle like sh*t, and if I can move a box, and can get over the sand/radioactive waste/electrified water fine, you don't have to feel obligied to put in these asinine game lengthing features more than once.

End of the day, Halo: CE was far, far more influential and came out the same time. The vehicles handled far better, the multiplayer was sublime, the storyline wasn't revolutionary, but the length and scale of the missions were, as well as games nowadays still feeling it's effect of regenerating health and a very balanced two weapon system, with melee and quick access grenades. To give HL2 the no.1 spot is just pleasing all the fans of HL2 out there instead of going for the game which has influnced shooters for the past decade.

Then how do you explain that HL2 is so popular and has many fans? Are there really so many gamers who like to identify themselves with a nerd like Gordon Freeman?

wholikeswood said:
Fallout 3? Lmao. At 7th? Lmfao.

Also stunned that the list does not contain a Halo or a Metal Gear Solid...

Why is that "lmao"? Fallout 3 got the most GOTY awards in 2008 (I think).

Would u have said "lmao" if Oblivion was on the list?

Half Life 2 taking best game of the decade is possibly the best decision IGN has made since all the crap articles they have recently released. And I agree even if the game came out in 2004 its is hands down the best PC game I have ever played. The episodes that came after them were also great. MGS 4 could have been up there as well.

Slimebeast said:
Mazty said:
CGI-Quality said:
Mazty said:

BS BS BS.
Completed HL2 a few weeks ago. It's just not a good game. It's a generic corridor crawl with bugger all story, bugger all tactics, and the only good parts are the last two levels because of a)Seeing the inside of the Combine HQ b)The all-new-and-improved Gravity Gun.

Also what about other genre defying games such as Devil May Cry, God of War, Soul Caliber 2, Call of Duty, Unreal Tournament, Perfect Dark etc?

Then again their choices for the best films for the decade can be described as malignant to the art of film making, missing films such as Gladiator, The Departed, Broke Back Mountain, Last King of Scotland, Downfall etc.

Who are you? A scientist. Who worked for Black Mesa. Who the hell are they...Well apparently having worked for them and having a suit makes you into Rambo. Hell, you don't need lean or to look down the barrel of your gun, just run and gun.I can understand why they opted for Gordon not to speak, but the fact that there is so much dialogue aimed at you, it broke the immersion for me as these odd monologues kept on occuring. And an invincible guy in a suit kept showing up every now and again, only to deliever the most confusing ending I've seen because who is he? What the hell is he on about? This leads me onto the story...

What story? Iif you've never played the first you are given no direction as to what is going on other than the earth has been invaded by the Combine. Are they bad people? They seem to be keeping the city people down but for all I know the rest of the world could be an eutopia where the rivers are made of chocolate with gumdrop trees covering acre after acre and every troop I kill I'm depriving them of a loving wife and children etc, you see where I'm going with that.
In game the story is this: You are on a train. You meet the rebels, the teleport messes up, you meet up with the rebel HQ, then the majority of the game is getting from point A (where you are) to point B (where the rebels are being held hostage). Oh and somehow the younger "attractive" chick falls for Gordon even though she doesn't know him and christ, this sh*t reads out like Twilight for nerdy guys - as opposed to a book, it's a game, and instead of vampires, you are a geeky Rambo.

The gameplay can be best described as adequate. You can't lean which is a real b*tch considering the game is a giant corridor crawl, with some awful, awful vehicle parts. Yes Valve, you modified the Havok engine, congratulations, your vehicles still handle like sh*t, and if I can move a box, and can get over the sand/radioactive waste/electrified water fine, you don't have to feel obligied to put in these asinine game lengthing features more than once.

End of the day, Halo: CE was far, far more influential and came out the same time. The vehicles handled far better, the multiplayer was sublime, the storyline wasn't revolutionary, but the length and scale of the missions were, as well as games nowadays still feeling it's effect of regenerating health and a very balanced two weapon system, with melee and quick access grenades. To give HL2 the no.1 spot is just pleasing all the fans of HL2 out there instead of going for the game which has influnced shooters for the past decade.

Then how do you explain that HL2 is so popular and has many fans? Are there really so many gamers who like to identify themselves with a nerd like Gordon Freeman?

To answer your questions:

1)Because the public are subjective to Gamespot and more importantly back then, PC Gamer. It writes a review which makes the game sound good and also smart, so it becomes the "in" thing to like. My above criticims stand firm that the story is lacking from all angles, as well as the gameplay etc.

2)How many girls like Twlight? I rest my case.

HL2 may have the fans, but that is all it has. Halo:CE has had a much larger, and lasting, impact on the entire gaming industry which is still visible today (regen health, two weapon system, quick use grenades, melee,  balanced weapon scheme).

Around the Network

I agree with Mazty up until he started saying that Halo was the FPS with the most impact :-p

Mazty said:
Slimebeast said:
Mazty said:
CGI-Quality said:
Mazty said:

BS BS BS.

To answer your questions:

1)Because the public are subjective to Gamespot and more importantly back then, PC Gamer. It writes a review which makes the game sound good and also smart, so it becomes the "in" thing to like. My above criticims stand firm that the story is lacking from all angles, as well as the gameplay etc.

2)How many girls like Twlight? I rest my case.

HL2 may have the fans, but that is all it has. Halo has had a much larger, and lasting, impact on the entire gaming industry which is still visible today.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with u about the importance and quality of Halo, but I wonder how u came to those conclusions about Half life 2.

I don't like HL2 either, because it's linear, indoors, i didnt like the story etc, it's just not for me. But I sort of 'trust' that there must be qualities to this game since so many sophisticated people praise it lol. Just like u implied with the PC Gamer thing. Actually going back 3-4 years I thought this extreme praising of H2 was just a PC Gamer thing (I always subscribed to the magazine), but later i learned that all big online sites and gamers on forums etc seemed to highly appreciate HL2 as well, so then I thought it can't be a thing created by PC Gamer.

makingmusic476 said:

Hey guys, let's make our own top ten lists! Since I figure it'll get to that point eventually anyhow.

Here's mine:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
2. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
3. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
4. LittleBigPlanet
5. Okami
6. Shadow of the Colossus
7. Ico
8. Demon's Souls
9. Metal Gear Solid 3
10. Metal Gear Solid 4
(11. Metal Gear Solid 2)

The MGS games usually to easily top Shadow of the Colossus and Ico, but they haven't aged very well in my mind. I guess that's what happens to story centric games as you slowly forget the story. If I played them again, they'd probably shoot back up a bit. Or maybe not.

Here's a second list limiting things to one game per franchise:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
2. LittleBigPlanet
3. Okami
4. Shadow of the Colossus
5. Ico
6. Demon's Souls
7. Metal Gear Solid 3
8. Super Mario Sunshine
9. Mario Kart Wii
10. Age of Mythology

You like Zelda? nevar would'a guessed.