By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the PS3 be able to outsell the Wii in Japan any week this year?

Will the PS3 be able to outsell the Wii in Japan any week this year?

Yes, in more weeks than last year. 706 54.43%

Yes, same amount of weeks than last year. 76 5.86%

Yes, but less weeks than last year. 161 12.41%

Yes, only once. 29 2.24%

No, lol? 137 10.56%

I like turtles. 188 14.49%

Total:1,297
trestres said:

A view into the future, upcoming games for each console from 3rd party Japanese publishers.

PS3:

Final Fantasy Vs XIII, Final Fantasy XIV, Ninokuni: The Another World, Sengoku Basara 3, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Devil's Third, Dead Rising 2, Agarest Senki 2, Disgaea 3, Trinity Zill O'll, El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron, Neptune, Another Century Episode: R, Metal Gear Solid Rising, Majin, Arcana Heart 3, Tekken 7, Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Naruto Ninja Storm 2, Dragon Ball Z: Raging Blast 2, Tekken vs. Street Fighter, Street Fighter vs. Tekken, Front Mission Evolved, Armored Core 5, Quantum Theory, Ikki Online, Class of Heroes 3, Silent Hill, Deus Ex 3, Dungeon Siege 3, Splatter House, Enslaved, Vanquish, Mindjack, Dinasty Warriors Troy, Never Dead, King of Fighters XIII, Knights Contract, Big 3 Gun Shooting, Fortune Arterial, Clannad, Winning Eleven 2011.

Wii:

Dragon Quest X, Inazuma Eleven, Sonic Colors, Twinkle Queen, Sengoku Basara 3, Deca Sports 3, Earth Seeker, Winning Eleven 2011, Pacman Party.

That's incredible. Trestres, do you have any comment about this.  I knew Wii wasn't dominating gamewise, but that doesn't look good. Twinkle Queen?!

Around the Network

Lyrikalstylez said:

But 360 is selling more than both??

Do you read threat titles? :P

NYANKS said:
trestres said:

A view into the future, upcoming games for each console from 3rd party Japanese publishers.

PS3:

Final Fantasy Vs XIII, Final Fantasy XIV, Ninokuni: The Another World, Sengoku Basara 3, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Devil's Third, Dead Rising 2, Agarest Senki 2, Disgaea 3, Trinity Zill O'll, El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron, Neptune, Another Century Episode: R, Metal Gear Solid Rising, Majin, Arcana Heart 3, Tekken 7, Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Naruto Ninja Storm 2, Dragon Ball Z: Raging Blast 2, Tekken vs. Street Fighter, Street Fighter vs. Tekken, Front Mission Evolved, Armored Core 5, Quantum Theory, Ikki Online, Class of Heroes 3, Silent Hill, Deus Ex 3, Dungeon Siege 3, Splatter House, Enslaved, Vanquish, Mindjack, Dinasty Warriors Troy, Never Dead, King of Fighters XIII, Knights Contract, Big 3 Gun Shooting, Fortune Arterial, Clannad, Winning Eleven 2011.

Wii:

Dragon Quest X, Inazuma Eleven, Sonic Colors, Twinkle Queen, Sengoku Basara 3, Deca Sports 3, Earth Seeker, Winning Eleven 2011, Pacman Party.

That's incredible. Trestres, do you have any comment about this.  I knew Wii wasn't dominating gamewise, but that doesn't look good. Twinkle Queen?!

I don't think companies will announce many more games for the Wii for what it has left of life. At least not the big companies. Capcom, Konami, Namce, they don't seem interested. SE I think will only release DQX. Every announcement third parties made recently was for the HD consoles. I can't remember which was the last important Wii announcement outside of Inazuma. This year is totally empty third party wise for the Wii, only Sengoku Basara 3 (Multiplat), Winning Eleven 2011 (Multiplat) as the big games. The other ones are either too small or comr out next year.

I really think Nintendo will release a new console next year, at least in Japan.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:

PS3:

Wii:

Your PS3 list includes some already released titles (Disgaea 3), titles not actually confirmed for Japan (Dungeon Siege 3, Splatterhouse, Devil's Third, Never Dead, the new Silent Hill), entirely unconfirmed titles (KOFXIII, Tekken 7) and PSN only titles (Ikki Online).  If you want to include PSN titles, then WiiWare would tip the balances pretty dramatically in Nintendo's favor for releases.

There's also several missing Wii titles confirmed for 2010.  Off the top of my head Lost in Shadow, No More Heroes 2, Tetris Party DX, 100 Game Bakushow, Jinsei Game Wii and Active Life Explorer.

jarrod said:
trestres said:

PS3:

Wii:

Your PS3 list includes some already released titles (Disgaea 3), titles not actually confirmed for Japan (Dungeon Siege 3, Splatterhouse, Devil's Third, Never Dead, the new Silent Hill), entirely unconfirmed titles (KOFXIII, Tekken 7) and PSN only titles (Ikki Online).  If you want to include PSN titles, then WiiWare would tip the balances pretty dramatically in Nintendo's favor for releases.

There's also several missing Wii titles confirmed for 2010.  Off the top of my head Lost in Shadow, No More Heroes 2, Tetris Party DX, 100 Game Bakushow, Jinsei Game Wii and Active Life Explorer.

Tetris Party and Lost in Shadow are already released. Jinsei Game, Active Life you are right, and as for NMH2 I was listing games that haven't been released. KOFXIII is actually confirmed, there are even screenshots. The others are games from 3rd party publishers, but I know not all will be released in Japan. If you want to correct the list go ahead, I don't think the panorama would be any different: Drought for the Wii this year and 2 big hits for next year. Talking 3rd party only obviulsy.
Ikki was my bad.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

it just happened and will happen again maybe next wk

trestres said:
jarrod said:
trestres said:

PS3:

Wii:

Tetris Party and Lost in Shadow are already released. Jinsei Game, Active Life you are right, and as for NMH2 I was listing games that haven't been released. KOFXIII is actually confirmed, there are even screenshots. The others are games from 3rd party publishers, but I know not all will be released in Japan. If you want to correct the list go ahead, I don't think the panorama would be any different: Drought for the Wii this year and 2 big hits for next year. Talking 3rd party only obviulsy.

Tetris Party comes out in August, though Shadow Tower did release last week (slipped by me!).  NMH2 isn't out in Japan yet either, it's fall and was just recently confirmed.

KOFXIII was confirmed for arcades, not consoles yet.  It'll probably hit PS360 though.

I agree that things are bleak for the Wii.  Really though, there's little JP centric stuff all around, pretty much all the PS3 list is also on PC and/or 360 (Wii actually has more exclusives), and targeted at the west first and foremost.   Through the rest of the year, it seems like most of the JP centric stuff is headed to DS/PSP, and from next year on 3DS will likely attract the majority of Japanese support.  This'll squeeze out Wii more than PS3(60) though, as the latter will still be seen as a viable option in the west, though probably basically dead in Japan.

jarrod said:

Your PS3 list includes some already released titles (Disgaea 3),

he probably just mistyped or forgot and really meant Disgaea 4

jarrod said:
trestres said:
jarrod said:
trestres said:

PS3:

Wii:

Tetris Party comes out in August, though Shadow Tower did release last week (slipped by me!).  NMH2 isn't out in Japan yet either, it's fall and was just recently confirmed.

KOFXIII was confirmed for arcades, not consoles yet.  It'll probably hit PS360 though.

I agree that things are bleak for the Wii.  Really though, there's little JP centric stuff all around, pretty much all the PS3 list is also on PC and/or 360 (Wii actually has more exclusives), and targeted at the west first and foremost.   Through the rest of the year, it seems like most of the JP centric stuff is headed to DS/PSP, and from next year on 3DS will likely attract the majority of Japanese support.  This'll squeeze out Wii more than PS3(60) though, as the latter will still be seen as a viable option in the west, though probably basically dead in Japan.

I agree, 3DS will probably crush both, it's already getting all the exclusives... i cant wait, i might actually get a handheld for the first time in my life ^.^

The thing is though abt the Wii, for all the lack of 3rd party support, it's still getting DQ and inazuma, and will probably get MH3G when all is said and done. Along with Nintendo's lineup, it is by far not dead in japan, but for the leading console it is weird

Torillian said:
jarrod said:

Your PS3 list includes some already released titles (Disgaea 3),

he probably just mistyped or forgot and really meant Disgaea 4

Yup it was Disgaea 4

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies