By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the PS3 be able to outsell the Wii in Japan any week this year?

Will the PS3 be able to outsell the Wii in Japan any week this year?

Yes, in more weeks than last year. 706 54.43%

Yes, same amount of weeks than last year. 76 5.86%

Yes, but less weeks than last year. 161 12.41%

Yes, only once. 29 2.24%

No, lol? 137 10.56%

I like turtles. 188 14.49%

Total:1,297
trestres said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

The old VGC charts would be so useful now to compare at a glance...

Anyway, how many weeks PS3 did it last year? How many weeks it already did it this year?

According to VGC, last year it was 29 for the Wii and 23 for the PS3.

This year so far it's 18 for the Wii and 11 for the PS3.

TNX!

So making the ratio is currently better than last year for Wii, although it must be said that this year PS3 has still to fire its biggest guns...

Hey, I just noticed that colour coding for threads with answers to our posts is back! Green for threads with new posts, as usual, orange for threads with answers to user's posts.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

Tales of Graces F and a new Tales of have been announced for the PS3 this week. A new Macross Frontier game was announced as well for the PS3.

This is clearly showing where the 3rd party interest is heading to (has been like this since mid 2008). I think at least on the Bandai Namco side, it's game over for the Wii.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Notorius.A.i.G said:
It might on GT5 launch week .

It might? It will murder the Wii when GT5 launches

trestres said:

Tales of Graces F and a new Tales of have been announced for the PS3 this week. A new Macross Frontier game was announced as well for the PS3.

This is clearly showing where the 3rd party interest is heading to (has been like this since mid 2008). I think at least on the Bandai Namco side, it's game over for the Wii.

RDR has been announced for October 7th too.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

jarrod said:
kopstudent89 said:

I agree, 3DS will probably crush both, it's already getting all the exclusives... i cant wait, i might actually get a handheld for the first time in my life ^.^

The thing is though abt the Wii, for all the lack of 3rd party support, it's still getting DQ and inazuma, and will probably get MH3G when all is said and done. Along with Nintendo's lineup, it is by far not dead in japan, but for the leading console it is weird

Yeah, if you want to argue sales, even with fewer 3rd party titles, those Wii games will likely sell more total thanks to DQX alone.  Inazuma Eleven's potentially pretty big too, though I could see that one not doing so well also (like DQMBRV).

I do still agree, if we're going into speculative titles, MH3G's likely.  I think we'll also see an upgrade release for Samurai Warriors 3 (ie: Xtreme Legends, Empires), Taiko Wii 3 and a new Momotaru Denetsu.  Probably a DQVII remake too.

DQ7 seems like a long shot. DQ remakes are easy on DS cuz enhancing the older versions are easy. I just dont see SE giving time for a remake now :P Hopefully DQX is closer than we think

Around the Network
kopstudent89 said:
jarrod said:
kopstudent89 said:

I agree, 3DS will probably crush both, it's already getting all the exclusives... i cant wait, i might actually get a handheld for the first time in my life ^.^

The thing is though abt the Wii, for all the lack of 3rd party support, it's still getting DQ and inazuma, and will probably get MH3G when all is said and done. Along with Nintendo's lineup, it is by far not dead in japan, but for the leading console it is weird

Yeah, if you want to argue sales, even with fewer 3rd party titles, those Wii games will likely sell more total thanks to DQX alone.  Inazuma Eleven's potentially pretty big too, though I could see that one not doing so well also (like DQMBRV).

I do still agree, if we're going into speculative titles, MH3G's likely.  I think we'll also see an upgrade release for Samurai Warriors 3 (ie: Xtreme Legends, Empires), Taiko Wii 3 and a new Momotaru Denetsu.  Probably a DQVII remake too.

DQ7 seems like a long shot. DQ remakes are easy on DS cuz enhancing the older versions are easy. I just dont see SE giving time for a remake now :P Hopefully DQX is closer than we think

I'd expect a potential DQVII Wii to look a lot like DQV PS2 (and probably be developed by the same people, Arte Piazza and Matrix Software).  It won't be a visually arresting remake, and will probably be pretty low budget really.  Also might be JP only due to that.

trestres said:

This is clearly showing where the 3rd party interest is heading to

DS to 3DS? ;)

jarrod said:
trestres said:

This is clearly showing where the 3rd party interest is heading to

DS to 3DS? ;)

Home console wise I meant :P

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

PS3 wins the week by 1k.

Guesses for next week? Looks like it will be a big week for the PS3, here are the releases:

PS3

- 320 GB Black PlayStation 3 Slim Console
- 160 GB Black PlayStation 3 Slim Console and Torne Bundle
- 160 GB Black Playstation 3 Slim Console
- 160 GB White Playstation 3 Slim Console
- White SixAxis Controller
- White Vertical PlayStation 3 Slim Stand
- Sengoku Basara 3
- ModNation Racers

Wii

- Sengoku Basara 3 Black Classic Controller Pro Bundle
- Sengoku Basara 3 White Classic Controller Pro Bundle
- Sengoku Basara 3
- Fishing Master (Cheaper Edition)

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

Probably, I think.

Sorry for bad English.