By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the PS3 be able to outsell the Wii in Japan any week this year?

Will the PS3 be able to outsell the Wii in Japan any week this year?

Yes, in more weeks than last year. 706 54.43%

Yes, same amount of weeks than last year. 76 5.86%

Yes, but less weeks than last year. 161 12.41%

Yes, only once. 29 2.24%

No, lol? 137 10.56%

I like turtles. 188 14.49%

Total:1,297

Wii about 30K next time.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Around the Network

PS3 wins this week 1k.

Guesses for next week? PS3 is getting Class of Heroes 2G and Wii is getting A Shadow's Tale.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

I had a feeling DQ wouldn't push a lot of HW because of Swords. Is Media Create making some kind of sampling error? They've been significantly different from Famitsu, Dengeki, and VGC for the past 2 weeks. Barring any supply problems leading up to the white PS3 launch I'll say PS3 wins this week. And next week is a given for rather obvious reasons.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

postofficebuddy said:

I had a feeling DQ wouldn't push a lot of HW because of Swords. Is Media Create making some kind of sampling error? They've been significantly different from Famitsu, Dengeki, and VGC for the past 2 weeks. Barring any supply problems leading up to the white PS3 launch I'll say PS3 wins this week. And next week is a given for rather obvious reasons.

Denegeki's been basically between MC and Famitsu for PS3 sales iirc.  Famitsu shows PS3 getting a significant lift from Open Pricing (ie: clear-the-shelves Pricing), while MC shows basically no change.  The Source mentioned this is likely due to the differing samples each use, with Fami's being traditionally more price sensitive.

A view into the future, upcoming games for each console from 3rd party Japanese publishers.

PS3:

Final Fantasy Vs XIII, Final Fantasy XIV, Ninokuni: The Another World, Sengoku Basara 3, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Devil's Third, Dead Rising 2, Agarest Senki 2, Disgaea 3, Trinity Zill O'll, El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron, Neptune, Another Century Episode: R, Metal Gear Solid Rising, Majin, Arcana Heart 3, Tekken 7, Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Naruto Ninja Storm 2, Dragon Ball Z: Raging Blast 2, Tekken vs. Street Fighter, Street Fighter vs. Tekken, Front Mission Evolved, Armored Core 5, Quantum Theory, Ikki Online, Class of Heroes 3, Silent Hill, Deus Ex 3, Dungeon Siege 3, Splatter House, Enslaved, Vanquish, Mindjack, Dinasty Warriors Troy, Never Dead, King of Fighters XIII, Knights Contract, Big 3 Gun Shooting, Fortune Arterial, Clannad, Winning Eleven 2011.

Wii:

Dragon Quest X, Inazuma Eleven, Sonic Colors, Twinkle Queen, Sengoku Basara 3, Deca Sports 3, Earth Seeker, Winning Eleven 2011, Pacman Party.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

Lol at Wii releases :P. However it does have a few heavy hitters with DQ and Inazuma. I might also add MH to the list unless it goes to PS3/360 which i ind very possible unless Nintendo takes a stance. Oh btw testres, isnt basara releasing this week?

trestres said:

A view into the future, upcoming games for each console from 3rd party Japanese publishers.

PS3:

Final Fantasy Vs XIII, Final Fantasy XIV, Ninokuni: The Another World, Sengoku Basara 3, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Devil's Third, Dead Rising 2, Agarest Senki 2, Disgaea 3, Trinity Zill O'll, El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron, Neptune, Another Century Episode: R, Metal Gear Solid Rising, Majin, Arcana Heart 3, Tekken 7, Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Naruto Ninja Storm 2, Dragon Ball Z: Raging Blast 2, Tekken vs. Street Fighter, Street Fighter vs. Tekken, Front Mission Evolved, Armored Core 5, Quantum Theory, Ikki Online, Class of Heroes 3, Silent Hill, Deus Ex 3, Dungeon Siege 3, Splatter House, Enslaved, Vanquish, Mindjack, Dinasty Warriors Troy, Never Dead, King of Fighters XIII, Knights Contract, Big 3 Gun Shooting, Fortune Arterial, Clannad, Winning Eleven 2011.

Wii:

Dragon Quest X, Inazuma Eleven, Sonic Colors, Twinkle Queen, Sengoku Basara 3, Deca Sports 3, Earth Seeker, Winning Eleven 2011, Pacman Party.

That's just crazy...

jarrod said:

I still expect incremental wins either way the rest of summer except DQM & ACER weeks.  To be honest, the rest of the year's looking kind of bleak for both machines too (just Kirby, GT5 and DKCR for notables imo, almost nothing from 3rd parties), most of the really exciting stuff is 2011 or later (Ninokuni, Inazmua Eleven, DQX, Versus, Yakuza 5, Zelda SS, etc).

Well yeah, but DK and kirby are potential 1m sellers. and i expect another announcement from nintendo definitely for Christmas. 

PS3 will win August to October i guess, but i think the usual Nintendo Holiday hitters will give Wii that edge

I'm kind of surprised BHR hasn't posted in here yet. His prediction is probably going to come true, PS3 outsells Wii at least 16 weeks in Japan this year. PS3 is mostly guaranteed at least 3 more weeks, white PS3 week, ACE:R, and GT5. Probably the Move launch as well.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

But 360 is selling more than both??