By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch games which underperfomed the most

We all know that th Switch has known tremendous success with the sales of games, with a lot of games beating record franchise and surpassing all expectations.

However, some of the games sold less than expected or less that we could have thought. They are not flop, but they are games who could have been much better success.

For me:

Super Mario Maker 2:  7.89  millions   : The number is impressive, but it's much less than the port of NSMBU and much less than a new 2D pisoe could have done. I think that a lot of people are clearly put off by the aspect of making levels. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo drop the franchise and make 2D mario come back.

1-2 Switch: 3.63 millions  :  It was released to be the new big casual game on Switch but was quickly forgotten. Nobody remember it exist.

Paper Mario the Origami King: 3.34 millions :  That's my big disappointment. The game is so good, so well made and polished, with a long story and interesting settings and gameplay. I feel it could have sold 8-10 millions. But instead it probably suffered from the mixed reception of Stciker Star and Color Splash. It did not even beat the record Franchise of Super Paper Mario.

New Pokemon Snap: 2.74 millions  : I expected at least 5 millions given how popular Pokemon is on the Switch and how some people had nostalgia for ths game. I am not sure it has passed the previous one on N64.

Do you agree? What game would you add?



Around the Network

I definitely expected New Pokemon Snap to do at least 5m.



Mario Maker 2 should've easily been at 10 million by now, which is probably the most it could sell in its lifetime. I would've expected 15 million or more.
New Pokemon Snap is low, I agree.
1-2 Switch is quite low for a casual launch title.
Mario Kart Live is only at 1.58 million as of the official numbers. Even at a high price, I expected more.
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is only at 1.5 million. You'd think with so many huge Marvel characters it could've done 3-6 million by now.
Fire Emblem Warriors is only at 0.51 million. I have a feeling it's under tracked and possibly a million seller.
Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition is only at 0.46 million and it's probably under tracked as well.



Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

People expected too much from 1-2 Switch. It could have never been Wii Sports, the game that sold the system was BotW. No way it could have competed against that...



You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

How well did Labo do? I never hear about it anymore. Did it do poorly as well? If so, I would add that to this list. 



Around the Network

1-2 Switch is extremely forgettable and shalow. It overperformed for it's low quality.

Sushi Striker underperformed. That game just straight up flopped.



Wman1996 said:

Fire Emblem Warriors is only at 0.51 million. I have a feeling it's under tracked and possibly a million seller.
Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition is only at 0.46 million and it's probably under tracked as well.

Are these number VGChartz estimates? They were always unreliable and definitely weren't updated in ages.

Fire Emblem Warriors shipped 1mil copies after 6 months. Most of that was the Switch version. It couldn't have sold half a million on New 3DS. By now it probably could be at 1mil on Switch alone.

Selling 1mil for a Fire Emblem spin off back then was huge for the franchise. It definitely didn't underperform.



Darwinianevolution said:

People expected too much from 1-2 Switch. It could have never been Wii Sports, the game that sold the system was BotW. No way it could have competed against that...

It also wasn’t massively bundled with the system, which accounted for the majority of sales. If they would have sent it off with most switch consoles, we would be telling a different story. 



Maybe a bit silly to expect more from what ended up becoming the best-selling game in its franchise, but I really hoped Metroid Dread would've sold much better. Expected 5 million at least.



axumblade said:
Darwinianevolution said:

People expected too much from 1-2 Switch. It could have never been Wii Sports, the game that sold the system was BotW. No way it could have competed against that...

It also wasn’t massively bundled with the system, which accounted for the majority of sales. If they would have sent it off with most switch consoles, we would be telling a different story. 

You forgot that Wii Sports resort sold 33 million copies