By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo acquering studios

Ok ok. I know Nintendo said they're not into the acquirement race but that's not mean they're not gonna buy any studios... I know its hard possible biut id they are going to acquire studios...

Which studios do you think would they buy? (only reasonable options!!)

Here's mine:

  • Grezzo
  • Level 5
  • Shin 'en
  • Team Cherry
  • Wayforward

Other possible options... Mercury Steam, Panic Button, Playtonic, Tantalus, Vanpool

Do you think these studios would fit in? What are your options?

Last edited by Arfen - on 14 February 2022

Around the Network

Nintendo should only buy studios it has gained value from in the past and that are under threat to being purchased by another first party company. I don't think any on those lists are big enough of fish for MS to buy, nor are they ones with decades long relationship with Sony for them to buy. Only Embracer or Tencent would consolidate them, I think, and they'd just continue releasing on Nintendo platforms anyway in that situation. Let those studios keep doing their thing independently, and Nintendo can do what they've been doing by expanding their internal teams by a lot in recent years.



There's less reason for Nintendo to acquire since their own IPs are enough to sell the bulk of hardware they need sold, and likewise for any subscriptions they offer.
I do think they'll just stick to any partner they feel they need to keep based on what they have in their pipeline.



Arfen said:

Ok ok. I know Nintendo said they're not into the acquirement race but that's not mean they're not gonna buy any studios... I know its hard possible biut id they are going to acquire studios...

Which studios do you think they should buy? (only reasonable options!!)

Here's mine:

  • Grezzo
  • Level 5
  • Shin 'en
  • Team Cherry
  • Wayforward

Other possible options... Mercury Steam, Panic Button, Playtonic, Tantalus, Vanpool

Do you think these studios would fit in? What are your options?

I wouldn't want Nintendo buying up any of these studios unless they were going bankrupt or something. Let studios be independent. 



I have no regrets about an organical grow from theyr own studios. That's a good deal.... But they have to noticed that only they're own IPs does not mean a succes (Wiiu was a proove of that).

I don't see Nintendo planning to buy something like Campcom, Konami etc... but little and taletned studios they have work with in the past are a good option.

It's not mandatory of course but maybe in that case they would let those studios work with some IP's NIntendo has left in the dark for years and also have some extra IP's from those studios that fit in the Nintendo DNA.

As I said I know its not very probable but at least they should consider it.



Around the Network

If they acquire anything I think it should only be support studios that exist purely for additional manpower, and who can be molded into the company culture more easily. And even then I’m not sure if that is currently necessary



Level 5 has zero value with a bunch of failed franchises that are dead in the water and won't ever be able to hit a big success unless they seriously restructure their abysmal management. Yokai Watch is dead, they're not localizing games anymore, because they can't finance it anymore, Inazuma Eleven for Switch has been delayed by over 4 years now.

In conclusion, Level 5 would be the worst studio to buy, by far.
Grezzo on the other hand wouldn't be a bad pick, but as long as no one else plans to buy them there's no need to.



Kakadu18 said:

Level 5 has zero value with a bunch of failed franchises that are dead in the water and won't ever be able to hit a big success unless they seriously restructure their abysmal management. Yokai Watch is dead, they're not localizing games anymore, because they can't finance it anymore, Inazuma Eleven for Switch has been delayed by over 4 years now.

In conclusion, Level 5 would be the worst studio to buy, by far.
Grezzo on the other hand wouldn't be a bad pick, but as long as no one else plans to buy them there's no need to.

Don't you think Yo-kai, Inazuma, and also Ni No Kuni, Layton.. can turn again a succes in the appropite hands

And if not in games Level 5 IPs has been well recieved as manga-animes and this can be a point in Nintendo plans to expand to other areas



I hope they look into PlatinumGames. They have some real talent though there has been some development hell from them the last few years, I feel that both Nintendo and PG would mutually benefit, if they went first party. They seem to be struggling to get deals to make high profile games the last generation or two so though know how to make good games. They just need good direction.



Arfen said:
Kakadu18 said:

Level 5 has zero value with a bunch of failed franchises that are dead in the water and won't ever be able to hit a big success unless they seriously restructure their abysmal management. Yokai Watch is dead, they're not localizing games anymore, because they can't finance it anymore, Inazuma Eleven for Switch has been delayed by over 4 years now.

In conclusion, Level 5 would be the worst studio to buy, by far.
Grezzo on the other hand wouldn't be a bad pick, but as long as no one else plans to buy them there's no need to.

Don't you think Yo-kai, Inazuma, and also Ni No Kuni, Layton.. can turn again a succes in the appropite hands

And if not in games Level 5 IPs has been well recieved as manga-animes and this can be a point in Nintendo plans to expand to other areas

I think they can be successful again, but only with better management that doesn't think every game needs to be released together with an anime to be successful.