I think in the interest of fostering community it's good to actually play some games together sometimes. In the interest of that I decided to set up an official Smash Bros. Ultimate Tournament!
The actual rules will be released in the future, because it depends on the number of participants and preferences. Here are the things set in stone.
1. The tournament will be 1v1. It will be difficult to organize, and for a first attempt, I think 1v1 will be much more feasible.
2. The tournament will be asynchronous. Meaning we don't all have to be on at a certain time. For each round, you'll probably have at least a 3 day and at most a 7 day window to set up a game, depending on the number of participants and format. If you think that you may not be able to work it into your schedule, then please don't sign up.
3. The tournament will LIKELY be best of 3, single elimination format. Depending on the number of players, that may change. If it's something like 8 it may be double elimination, if it's only 5 or 6 it might be round robin, etc. If you don't know what these terms mean, that's OK! I'll explain.
4. Please have decent internet. Smash ain't the best game over wi-fi. If your connection sucks, please be courteous. If you have wired that's a huge plus, but not required since it's not a native Switch feature.
5. The first 16 people to sign up (if there are that many) will be guaranteed a spot. If there are more, I still encourage you to sign up, but no guarantees.
6. Anyone who participates is expected to accept defeat with graciousness. Conversely, victors are expected to be classy. Otherwise, you may not be allowed to participate in future tournaments if this becomes a thing. If there's some sort of issue or challenge with a result, I may step in to adjudicate, but as I plan on playing I would much prefer another mod who doesn't want to join take that responsibility.
7. Tournament will be stock not time.
8. If people are willing to record and upload matches that'd be awesome!
So, to sign up, give your name, friend code, and any particular rule preferences. Not a guarantee that I'll do your rules but if an overwhelming majority want items for instance (filthy casuals) we may do that. See example below. And let me know if you'd like to see something set up for other games!
|Name||Friend Code/Name||Rule Preferences|
|JWeincom (4)||SW-3347-1672-8217 (Justin)||3 Stock, no items, BField forms/Omega forms/Small Battlefield|
|mZuzek (6)||SW-5758-2421-1219||reduced stagelist with stage hazards off, no FS meter of course, and some items set on low.|
|SanAndreasX (2)||SW 1368-5461-1518 (Super King)|
|SuperMario28 (7)||SW-4262-2718-3900||3 stock, no items, FD only, no DLC characters|
|UltraShroomz (3)||SW 0731-6937-5596|
|Rob DX(1)||SW 7381-0673-1717|
Gonna start this up on Monday!
And just to sweeten the pot the winner will receive a $5 Digital Gift Card for the Nintendo eShop! Wow!
That should be enough to make winning more fun, but not enough to make people go ape shit. If the winner is me, I will receive nothing, but I will like, give myself a cupcake or something and do a happy dance.Last edited by JWeinCom - on 11 October 2020