Quantcast
Jason Schreier: Sony's Horizon coming to PC later this year

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jason Schreier: Sony's Horizon coming to PC later this year

Heavenly_King said:
the sequel will be PS5 only for 4 years...so they made this so that the sequel sells a lot at launch.

4 years eh?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/05/20/sonys-deal-with-microsoft-worried-the-unaware-playstation-team/#b1ee5615cfc9



Tommy Jean, CPA, CGA

Around the Network

People only seeing Sony losing "exclusives" and what i'm seeing is that Horizon, Death Stranding, Detroit and more to come will launch in a way or another on PS5 looking gorgeous too, which i will glady replay again and again.

We still don't know what Sony is going to do exactly with PS5 retrocompatibility and PS Now. Maybe Sony is annoucing this because PS Now is going to get a lot bigger and more like Gamepass. Maybe for 10-15$ per month you will be able to play PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 gmaes on PS4/PS5, PC and mobiles. Who knows....



This will cause me to buy a lot less games, since I'll just be waiting for every non-Switch game to come to PC. In the past I would buy a game brand new for $45 for the physical copy on day one. But now, since everything on PC is digital, I won't be buying a lot of games day one. Instead I'll wait until I'm ready to play said game. And then I'll likely balk at the ridiculous $60 price tag of a digital game that's a year or more old, and wait for a deep sale.

Also digital games should have the following price plans...

$45 day one.

$30 after a year.

$15 after a year and a half.

But nope. Publishers want to rake in as much money as they possibly can. Customers be damned.



The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
jason1637 said:

I dont see this having a huge impact on sales. Consoles target a more casual audience than PC gamers. I expect next gen consoles to sell the same as the PS4/XBO combined even with PS and MS games on PC.

XB1 fell from 80 million units sold lifetime to 50 million units sold lifetime. You can't blame all of that on MS's other current gen mistakes. A large part of it was a lack of quality exclusives, and quickly porting the few good exclusives they had to PC. MS could be at 60 million XB1's sold by now if they kept their exclusives as exclusive. The problem is that 60 million XB1's sold probably isn't enough units sold to make enough money selling those games as just XB1 titles. So they were more or less forced to wave the white flag and basically go 3rd party. (Either that or have another gen where they flat out lost money.) 

Sony on the other hand still makes good exclusives and has a lot of them to boot. PS4 will end at 110+ million units sold, so they can easily make enough money selling their 1st party content only on their console. They make more money that way in the long run since the more Playstations they sell, the more money they get from 3rd party console publishing fees. They can keep their games as exclusive content, losing out on PC and Xbox sales, but making the money back in console publishing fees. In the 7-10 year long term this is the smarter move. 

But whoever runs Sony now, is like most modern CEOs and after as much profit as quickly as they can possibly make it, long term side effects be damned. If they run their own business into the ground by causing far less PS5's to be sold it doesn't matter to them, because they would rather sell their car today for quick cash, than worry about how they'll get to work tomorrow. 

I realize that consoles as a whole have their days numbered. Streaming will eventually take over. I'd just like to see Sony put out one last solid PS5 gen rather than waving the white flag, and then floundering on making PSNow their future. Because IMO that is what they are going to do. 

You can blame it on MS early gen mishaps and them waiting late in the gen to begin building up their 1st party. At the end of 2017 the XBOX has sold over two and a half million less than the 360 and later in the generation the 360 had the Kinect to help boost it sales.

If MS had kept their exclusives only on Xbox it's still unlikely that they would have sold 60m because they would need to have sold over 25m in the last 2 years and the XBO has never sold that well.

The future will be streaming. Once internet speeds becomes stable and consistent consoles will sell less and Sony has been laying the groundwork for this with PS NOW and now bringing games to other platforms. It's better they build on it now or they will get left behind.



yvanjean said:
Heavenly_King said:
the sequel will be PS5 only for 4 years...so they made this so that the sequel sells a lot at launch.

4 years eh?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/05/20/sonys-deal-with-microsoft-worried-the-unaware-playstation-team/#b1ee5615cfc9

"PlayStation Now is a more compelling offer today, but Sony has resisted putting new games into the service. Microsoft's does that with its Game Pass subscription offering, with every new Xbox first party game available to subscribers.

"It's an area that is fast changing and fluid," notes Ryan. "The nature and scale of some of the first party games that we are making leads us to think that, right now, it's better to spend energy on making sure that the launch of those games is a massive entertainment event. I would cite God of War and Spider-Man, and The Last of Us 2 next year will fall into that category.

"That's where we stand right now. But our stance on the inclusion of first party games in PlayStation Now in terms of what we've done this month is very different to our stance 12 months ago. I don't want to say this is what PlayStation Now is going to be like forever. But certainly right now, given how some of our first party IP is incredibly special and valuable, we just want to treat them with amazing care and respect, and have those launches be clean and pure."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-11-07-sonys-jim-ryan-we-had-to-make-changes-to-deliver-our-ps5-dream



Around the Network
colafitte said:

People only seeing Sony losing "exclusives" and what i'm seeing is that Horizon, Death Stranding, Detroit and more to come will launch in a way or another on PS5 looking gorgeous too, which i will glady replay again and again.

We still don't know what Sony is going to do exactly with PS5 retrocompatibility and PS Now. Maybe Sony is annoucing this because PS Now is going to get a lot bigger and more like Gamepass. Maybe for 10-15$ per month you will be able to play PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 gmaes on PS4/PS5, PC and mobiles. Who knows....

I wish PSnow was more like Gamepass, in that I pay a small fee on PC and get to download the game and play it natively on my hw, rather than what it is now, akin to streaming and PS input only, while MS allows for K+_M and gamepad inputs, as well as their gamepass tailoring to PC players. If Sony wants PSnow to really pick up on PC, I'd suggest they follow MS's way of going about it, because that'd actually benefit PC players, rather than tossing a semi expensive sub fee of a bone while asking for stream gameplay. 



                                       

Hiku said:

I like it.
But curious if they'll continue doing it this way. As in waiting several years before porting it to another system, rather than developing it for additional systems from the start. And then maybe releasing it a year later.

I think DS made sense because it's so late in the gen, and was a new IP and could use as many sales as possible.

I'd guess the top selling, if not all PS4 games come to PC sometime after PS5 launches, and the same for PS5 games when PS6 launches. 

Keep SIE games exclusive to the console during it's gen, then let PC have a go at them with even better visuals.

With longer gens, maybe launch console games can hit PC after the mid gen upgrade lands on shelves.



The Canadian National Anthem According To Justin Trudeau

 

Oh planet Earth! The home of native lands, 
True social law, in all of us demand.
With cattle farts, we view sea rise,
Our North sinking slowly.
From far and snide, oh planet Earth, 
Our healthcare is yours free!
Science save our land, harnessing the breeze,
Oh planet Earth, smoke weed and ferment yeast.
Oh planet Earth, ell gee bee queue and tee.

EricHiggin said:
Hiku said:

I like it.
But curious if they'll continue doing it this way. As in waiting several years before porting it to another system, rather than developing it for additional systems from the start. And then maybe releasing it a year later.

I think DS made sense because it's so late in the gen, and was a new IP and could use as many sales as possible.

I'd guess the top selling, if not all PS4 games come to PC sometime after PS5 launches, and the same for PS5 games when PS6 launches. 

Keep SIE games exclusive to the console during it's gen, then let PC have a go at them with even better visuals.

With longer gens, maybe launch console games can hit PC after the mid gen upgrade lands on shelves.

Agree with u, all first party that coming to PC will just games that already available on PSNow and most PSNow games are old or very old games. Jim Ryan Also already commit to make new exclusives to be exclusives for consoles for certain period of time, and later on after getting old and have a lot sales they will port it  to PSNow. 



Chazore said:
colafitte said:

People only seeing Sony losing "exclusives" and what i'm seeing is that Horizon, Death Stranding, Detroit and more to come will launch in a way or another on PS5 looking gorgeous too, which i will glady replay again and again.

We still don't know what Sony is going to do exactly with PS5 retrocompatibility and PS Now. Maybe Sony is annoucing this because PS Now is going to get a lot bigger and more like Gamepass. Maybe for 10-15$ per month you will be able to play PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 gmaes on PS4/PS5, PC and mobiles. Who knows....

I wish PSnow was more like Gamepass, in that I pay a small fee on PC and get to download the game and play it natively on my hw, rather than what it is now, akin to streaming and PS input only, while MS allows for K+_M and gamepad inputs, as well as their gamepass tailoring to PC players. If Sony wants PSnow to really pick up on PC, I'd suggest they follow MS's way of going about it, because that'd actually benefit PC players, rather than tossing a semi expensive sub fee of a bone while asking for stream gameplay. 

I think what Sony is trying to do with PS NOW is the right solution, it just only needs to get better. PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 and PS5 library of games able to play locally in the console or PC is more than enough. I don't think cloud gaming is ready yet. I already played PS4 games via remote play trough Wi-fi with PS NOW on PC. It just need to work better, with more games from more legacy consoles and I will be happy.



colafitte said:
Chazore said:

I wish PSnow was more like Gamepass, in that I pay a small fee on PC and get to download the game and play it natively on my hw, rather than what it is now, akin to streaming and PS input only, while MS allows for K+_M and gamepad inputs, as well as their gamepass tailoring to PC players. If Sony wants PSnow to really pick up on PC, I'd suggest they follow MS's way of going about it, because that'd actually benefit PC players, rather than tossing a semi expensive sub fee of a bone while asking for stream gameplay. 

I think what Sony is trying to do with PS NOW is the right solution, it just only needs to get better. PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 and PS5 library of games able to play locally in the console or PC is more than enough. I don't think cloud gaming is ready yet. I already played PS4 games via remote play trough Wi-fi with PS NOW on PC. It just need to work better, with more games from more legacy consoles and I will be happy.

I feel there are too many licensing and copyright issues for PS1 ad PS2 to ever be a thing on PS Now, as great as it would be to have.