By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jason Schreier: Sony's Horizon coming to PC later this year

Random_Matt said:
Consoles really are now pointless. Rigs can do everything, no point in have multiples.

If you have a good PC no need to buy consoles, but if you already has consoles you don't need to buy gaming PC if satisfied with the limited quality. The future will not about console agnostic but about ecosystem 

Around the Network

Like i said when Death Stranding was announced on PC. Interesting move by Sony. I expected Bloodborne, GT Sport or Dreams to be announced (i still expect this after this news), not Horizon, but it proved my point. Sony is just doing what other 3rd party does with their games. Put them in most platforms possible to extend the sales the most.

But people need to calm down (not here, here people has been very rational to be honest), because just Sony doing this with a game 3 years old, doesn't mean each new PS4/PS5 Sony game will launch at the same time on PC making PS console obsolete...

1st. People doesn't want to spend double the prize to play the same games. If people can play this game on a 400$ console people will still buy the console instead of a more expensive PC platform.
2nd. People doesn't want to wait 6 months, 1 year, 2 years or 3 years, like in this case, to play a game they want like we've seen with games that have launched in PC long after in consoles, like for example: Red Dead Redemption 2.
3rd. Don't expect Horizon Zero Dawn to suddenly sell millions in PC. It will sell a few hundreds k's and that will be it. Nothing will change.

PS5 future will be fine. If you want the new 1st party PS games you will need a PS5. The people that will wait blindly a PC version will be absolutely minuscule. Most people that will buy a PC versions years later, are the same people wouldn't buy the game on PS in the first place because they have no interest in a console, so nothing will be lost.

People crying about this decision are just the vocal minority. More people will not care, they won't even know about this.

And besides, Horizon Zero Dawn is just one of my favorite games ever, so, If more people can play it..., i won't be against it. As a PS costumer, i don't see how this will harm me at all....I'm pretty sure i will play Horizon 2 on PS5 day 1, like millions more like me.

Last edited by colafitte - on 16 January 2020

Random_Matt said:
Consoles really are now pointless. Rigs can do everything, no point in have multiples.

They're not pointless to the platform holders. Which, more than any philosophy about "what could be", is all that matters, until such time as it doesn't. That time is not now. And for the record, I love the "duh-duh" ease of use offered by consoles vs a fucking rig. You can keep pumping from the well. I'll take the tap. 

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

HollyGamer said:
Radek said:

PS4 doesn't need DirectX. Detroit Become Human on PC runs on Vulkan, so does RDR2.

Yeah  i mean PS4 are build based X86. It's compatible either with Vulcan, Linux, or directX or every X86 program and engine. 

Developers do need to build their games to target specific API's and their instructions/features.

If a developer is lazy though, they will just write their own API wrapper, in the old days a developer would build their game on OpenGL and use a wrapper to interface with 3dfx Glide or Direct X, the game is still OpenGL based though, not something that happens much in the modern era of course.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

If this becomes the norm I might have to stop calling Sony assholes.

Super hyped for this. Out of all PS4 exclusives I wanted to play this one the most, but couldn't.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
HollyGamer said:

Yeah  i mean PS4 are build based X86. It's compatible either with Vulcan, Linux, or directX or every X86 program and engine. 

Developers do need to build their games to target specific API's and their instructions/features.

If a developer is lazy though, they will just write their own API wrapper, in the old days a developer would build their game on OpenGL and use a wrapper to interface with 3dfx Glide or Direct X, the game is still OpenGL based though, not something that happens much in the modern era of course.

That's why i hope , PS first party are targeting specific spec (A.K.A console) and build based on close platform rather then building based multiple device. Then they just ported through every other methods by second party studios or third party studios. 

Azzanation said:
twintail said:
I dunno. The business decision behind this is both sound and not. Definitely opens their user base, though places questions on 3rd party exclusives and could affect the PS hardware brand.
Curious to see how Sony goes about this wth their more important IP, if this true.

As iv been stating many times. Sometimes companies have to take a hit with console hardware to gain a bigger audience and profits. Brands wont do this if that wasnt the case. MS saw the light many years ago.

There is literally no "hit" to Sony in this scenario. It's the very epitome of a safe play.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

jason1637 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
Well that sinks it for me. I won't be buying a PS5 since all the exclusives are likely coming to PC, even if it is 2-3 years later. Other PS titles have come to PC, but not titles that Sony fully owned. This is a huge change for the company, and signals that they are going to go the MS route of not caring how many consoles they sell, and just pushing services.

This is pretty sad, because consoles had at least one or two more good generations in them. With both Sony and MS pretty much waving the white flag to streaming, and PC, it's a foregone conclusion that PS5 + XB1SX won't sell a combined 115 million units.

Modern Non-Nintendo game consoles are basically little more than machines for casuals now. There's absolutely no reason to buy a Sony or MS next gen console. PC is just better.

I dont see this having a huge impact on sales. Consoles target a more casual audience than PC gamers. I expect next gen consoles to sell the same as the PS4/XBO combined even with PS and MS games on PC.

XB1 fell from 80 million units sold lifetime to 50 million units sold lifetime. You can't blame all of that on MS's other current gen mistakes. A large part of it was a lack of quality exclusives, and quickly porting the few good exclusives they had to PC. MS could be at 60 million XB1's sold by now if they kept their exclusives as exclusive. The problem is that 60 million XB1's sold probably isn't enough units sold to make enough money selling those games as just XB1 titles. So they were more or less forced to wave the white flag and basically go 3rd party. (Either that or have another gen where they flat out lost money.) 

Sony on the other hand still makes good exclusives and has a lot of them to boot. PS4 will end at 110+ million units sold, so they can easily make enough money selling their 1st party content only on their console. They make more money that way in the long run since the more Playstations they sell, the more money they get from 3rd party console publishing fees. They can keep their games as exclusive content, losing out on PC and Xbox sales, but making the money back in console publishing fees. In the 7-10 year long term this is the smarter move. 

But whoever runs Sony now, is like most modern CEOs and after as much profit as quickly as they can possibly make it, long term side effects be damned. If they run their own business into the ground by causing far less PS5's to be sold it doesn't matter to them, because they would rather sell their car today for quick cash, than worry about how they'll get to work tomorrow. 

I realize that consoles as a whole have their days numbered. Streaming will eventually take over. I'd just like to see Sony put out one last solid PS5 gen rather than waving the white flag, and then floundering on making PSNow their future. Because IMO that is what they are going to do. 

Nice, can't wait to see some 4K screenshots of the PC version. Perhaps they'll experiment with ray tracing with the port, good practice for the next game.