Forums - Movies Discussion - Tracking The Rise (Or Fall?) of Skywalker

d21lewis said:
Disney already said this film was on track to being one of, if not THE most successful films of all time. I don't know why this thread even exists.

If you've been in Star Wars threads here before, you ought to know why. There are certain people that, if it doesn't meet expectations, want to point at it and laugh. Just like how two years ago there was a thread (which was still being posted in seven months after it started and accumulated 1390 replies) about TLJ's second weekend, with people jeering over the relatively large drop (which was a result of Christmas Eve falling on a Sunday). There wasn't a similar thread about Avengers: Endgame having a far larger second-weekend drop, because ragging on the MCU isn't an internet pastime like ragging on Star Wars has become.



Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
d21lewis said:
Disney already said this film was on track to being one of, if not THE most successful films of all time. I don't know why this thread even exists.

If you've been in Star Wars threads here before, you ought to know why. There are certain people that, if it doesn't meet expectations, want to point at it and laugh. Just like how two years ago there was a thread (which was still being posted in seven months after it started and accumulated 1390 replies) about TLJ's second weekend, with people jeering over the relatively large drop (which was a result of Christmas Eve falling on a Sunday). There wasn't a similar thread about Avengers: Endgame having a far larger second-weekend drop, because ragging on the MCU isn't an internet pastime like ragging on Star Wars has become.

Don't spout fake news in here. Especially when the numbers are easily accessible to everyone.

TLJ 2nd weekend drop: 67%

A:E 2nd weekend drop: 59%

And the thread continued on for so long because, like this one, it tracked the whole performance of the film. Besides, the movie continued to perform poorly. Its legs were worse than Rogue One. Not just percentage-wise, but in terms of revenue, as well.



haxxiy said:
Ouch time: $47 million on Saturday for the US according to insiders, less than $18 million oficially projected for the entire weekend in China. Worldwide first week totals might be 25% down on TLJ, and $1 billion worldwide might be a struggle depending on legs.

So, we would be at ~$137M. Sundays usually drop slightly from Saturday. So, looking at a range of $165M-$185M for the weekend. 



OlfinBedwere said:
thismeintiel said:

Well, at least we can put away the silly argument that was franchise fatigue.

We can also put away the silly argument that Solo's poor performance was purely the result of fans boycotting the movie over The Last Jedi, and that the fact that it was released up against Avengers: Infinity War and Deadpool 2 had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Of course I can only speak for myself, but I did not go to see Solo and I'm not going to see TRoS for the exact same reason. And I can assure you that IW and Deadpool had nothing to do with it.

And in case anyone is wondering what I'm doing in a thread about a movie that I'm not planning to watch at the theater; the answer is simple: I'm still pissed about TLJ.



d21lewis said:
Disney already said this film was on track to being one of, if not THE most successful films of all time. I don't know why this thread even exists.

Surely that can't be possible, unless the film was made on a low budget and market expenses were also low. 



Around the Network
think-man said:
d21lewis said:
Disney already said this film was on track to being one of, if not THE most successful films of all time. I don't know why this thread even exists.

Surely that can't be possible, unless the film was made on a low budget and market expenses were also low. 

Well, we know that's not possible. Not with all the reshoots, that Abrams confirmed wrapped up just a few weeks before it released, and the massive ad campaign they put out for it. 

chakkra said:
OlfinBedwere said:

We can also put away the silly argument that Solo's poor performance was purely the result of fans boycotting the movie over The Last Jedi, and that the fact that it was released up against Avengers: Infinity War and Deadpool 2 had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Of course I can only speak for myself, but I did not go to see Solo and I'm not going to see TRoS for the exact same reason. And I can assure you that IW and Deadpool had nothing to do with it.

And in case anyone is wondering what I'm doing in a thread about a movie that I'm not planning to watch at the theater; the answer is simple: I'm still pissed about TLJ.

I feel you, man. I'm done with Disney SW myself. I'm more excited to see the Plinkett review than the film itself.



chakkra said:
OlfinBedwere said:

We can also put away the silly argument that Solo's poor performance was purely the result of fans boycotting the movie over The Last Jedi, and that the fact that it was released up against Avengers: Infinity War and Deadpool 2 had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Of course I can only speak for myself, but I did not go to see Solo and I'm not going to see TRoS for the exact same reason. And I can assure you that IW and Deadpool had nothing to do with it.

And in case anyone is wondering what I'm doing in a thread about a movie that I'm not planning to watch at the theater; the answer is simple: I'm still pissed about TLJ.

Hey, I hate TLJ, too. My post was about an article that came out a while back saying RoS was outselling Black Panther and blah, blah, blah and was going to be the highest grossing film of all time. Based on the data of some site we never heard of. 

I do like RoS a lot, though. It was a fun dumb ride. I hope it does well.



mZuzek loves to pre-order

Early estimates have been adjusted $179 million domestically, that might sound good but it is not



Nothing to see here, move along

Here's the quote I was looking for:

"Atom Tickets went so far as to state Rise of Skywalker ticket sales is outselling Avengers: Endgame, with Endgame currently being the number one movie at the box office of all time. Atom further says Rise Of Skywalker tickets sales is their best selling movie in 24 hours ever."



mZuzek loves to pre-order

Weekend estimates are out for Rise of Skywalker. It made $175.5M in its first weekend. This is 20.2% lower than The Last Jedi, which made $220M in its first weekend. If this continues, it will end up with a DBO total of $494.9M vs TLJ's $620.2M.

On to the foreign box office. The ROS made an estimated $198M at the FBO, which is 13.9% lower than TLJ's $230M. If this continues, it will end with a FBO total of $613.4M total vs TLJ's $712.4M.

A WW BO of $1.11B, or 16.5% lower than TLJ's $1.33B.