Quantcast
[Update] Radiation therapy complete, awaiting surgery

Forums - General Discussion - [Update] Radiation therapy complete, awaiting surgery

I'll keep cheering on you, dude. Just a little longer. Though, I must say, reading that you could end up with impaired limb function triggers my
hypochondria to crazy levels. That's unfortunate, but yeah, small price to pay, it's for the best.



Around the Network

I hope you'll be fine, curl! Have a hug.



Gameplay > Graphics

Substance > Style

Art Direction > Realism

curl-6 said:

The war's not over, but this particular battle is.

If your body's half as tough as your mental space, sounds, you'll kick this cancers arse :)



curl-6 said:

Update 14th of Feb: Radiation therapy complete. They say it'll be about six weeks til the surgery to remove it.

Update 2: Finally some good news; scans show it hasn't spread beyond the primary tumor, and I've started radiation therapy to kill that one.

Update: Turns out it is cancer. Might still be curable though, so trying to stay optimistic for a positive outcome.

Original Post: Dunno why I'm posting this here except that over the past 9.5 years VGC has been almost like a second online home/family for me, a special place where I feel accepted, and I wanted to give an explanation as to why my behaviour in this coming months may be a bit irrational or over the top.

So yeah, just got some unfortunate news from my doctor. The positive side is though,the prognosis is good; this particular kind of tumor most often turns out to be benign. Still, I won't know for sure if it's benign or malignant until they remove it, which could take a few weeks/months.

As someone with OCD and an intense phobia of serious illness, I'm under a huge amount of stress right now as you can imagine, and so while I'll still be posting here, I'm going to try not to participate in the kind of intense debates I usually get into in order to minimize this stress.

I apologize in advance if I lose my cool over the following months, I will try my best not to.

Thank you all for your understanding, and for just generally being an awesome community of people.

I was diagnosed with Stage III melanoma a little over a year ago.  Had this funky mole growing by my ear that I should have gotten checked out a lot sooner - but with everything going on at home I kept putting it off.  By the time I finally got it checked out it was so deep that they had to lop off part of my earlobe, as well as cut my throat open and rip out 6 lymph nodes. Had to get a drug infusion once a month for the past year, as well as a full body scan every 3 months. It’s been a scary ride - but I just celebrated 1+ year cancer free. Take it one day at a time, spend every second you can with the ones that you love and always keep your head up - you are not alone! Best wishes and keep up the good fight!



curl-6 said:

Radiation therapy complete; just got home from my final session.

I feel absolutely exhausted, but that's a small price to pay. The cool part is that even though the treatment itself has ended, the aftereffects will continue to kill the cancer cells for weeks to come; the radiation damages their DNA so they die off over time.

They reckon it'll be about 6 weeks til I go in for surgical removal; cos they're doing a nerve graft of the big main nerve in my leg, I'll need rehab to learn to walk again and may be left with impaired limb function, but again, small price to pay, I would've been fine with amputation tbh. 

The war's not over, but this particular battle is. If all goes well, in less than two months I could be cancer free. 

It feels like the worst has gone. Now you just need to stay positive and finish this.

I'll keep cheering for you!



Around the Network

Thanks so much as ever for all the kindness. :)

Metallox said:
I'll keep cheering on you, dude. Just a little longer. Though, I must say, reading that you could end up with impaired limb function triggers my
hypochondria to crazy levels. That's unfortunate, but yeah, small price to pay, it's for the best.

I can relate, due to my OCD I'm quite the hypochondriac myself; if it helps what I have is very rare, and it might work out that the graft goes perfectly and my leg ends up working just fine.

Zombie9ers said:
curl-6 said:

Update 14th of Feb: Radiation therapy complete. They say it'll be about six weeks til the surgery to remove it.

Update 2: Finally some good news; scans show it hasn't spread beyond the primary tumor, and I've started radiation therapy to kill that one.

Update: Turns out it is cancer. Might still be curable though, so trying to stay optimistic for a positive outcome.

Original Post: Dunno why I'm posting this here except that over the past 9.5 years VGC has been almost like a second online home/family for me, a special place where I feel accepted, and I wanted to give an explanation as to why my behaviour in this coming months may be a bit irrational or over the top.

So yeah, just got some unfortunate news from my doctor. The positive side is though,the prognosis is good; this particular kind of tumor most often turns out to be benign. Still, I won't know for sure if it's benign or malignant until they remove it, which could take a few weeks/months.

As someone with OCD and an intense phobia of serious illness, I'm under a huge amount of stress right now as you can imagine, and so while I'll still be posting here, I'm going to try not to participate in the kind of intense debates I usually get into in order to minimize this stress.

I apologize in advance if I lose my cool over the following months, I will try my best not to.

Thank you all for your understanding, and for just generally being an awesome community of people.

I was diagnosed with Stage III melanoma a little over a year ago.  Had this funky mole growing by my ear that I should have gotten checked out a lot sooner - but with everything going on at home I kept putting it off.  By the time I finally got it checked out it was so deep that they had to lop off part of my earlobe, as well as cut my throat open and rip out 6 lymph nodes. Had to get a drug infusion once a month for the past year, as well as a full body scan every 3 months. It’s been a scary ride - but I just celebrated 1+ year cancer free. Take it one day at a time, spend every second you can with the ones that you love and always keep your head up - you are not alone! Best wishes and keep up the good fight!

Wow, that's intense. Huge congrats on winning such a tough fight, and thanks heaps.  

JRPGfan said:
curl-6 said:

The war's not over, but this particular battle is.

If your body's half as tough as your mental space, sounds, you'll kick this cancers arse :)

Aw, cheers man. :) The nurses did say they're very impressed at how well my body has held up to the radiation; I think that might be cos I'm a lot younger than most; pretty much all the other patients there are over 60 while I'm 30.

It's strange, I've always thought of myself as being very fragile mentally due to my sensitivities and anxiety, but I suppose I have gotten through a fair bit in my life so maybe I'm a lot tougher than I give myself credit for. I think most people don't give themselves enough credit on handling all that they do.

Last edited by curl-6 - 1 day ago

Great to know.