Quantcast
PS5: Leaked Design And Technology [RUMOUR]

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5: Leaked Design And Technology [RUMOUR]

bananaking21 said:
Yeah no way am I going to believe the design is ready at this time. The PS4 didn't have it's desgin ready by Feb of 2013, 9 months before its release.

^This



Around the Network

So he thinks there will be 3640 Navi cores... Meaning 1539mhz core clock to achieve the FP numbers.
Being Navi based would suck though.
In short... Expect around Vega 56/Vega 64/Geforce 1070 Ti/Geforce 1080/Geforce 2070 levels of performance... Which should be mid-range levels of performance by the time 2019 rolls around.

16GB of GDDR6 memory... With 14GB available to developers. - Either Sony has managed to significantly optimize their software stack, making it less memory intensive than the Playstation 4... Or. They are including a secondary large pool of DRAM for OS/Background tasks just like the Playstation 4.

EricHiggin said:

As for the specs, with a late 2019 25th anniversary launch, I'd say they probably wouldn't be all that far off at 6 Ryzen cores and Navi around 10TF, on 10nm-7nm, but I have a hard time believing it's Zen 2.  Ryzen, or maybe Ryzen+, but not Ryzen 2. That line of CPU's won't launch until early to mid 2019, so that would be way to new to go into a PS5 6 months or a year later. Also too many ports. Maybe for dev kits, but not for retail. 2TB should be the absolute min for the base console since Pro is already getting 2TB models. I'd also assume a $499 price unless PS eats $100 per unit.

AMD has confirmed that the Zen 2 design is completed. - There will be some sampling of chips in 2018 with a full launch in 2019.
Remember... CPU designs take years, many years. - Sony and Microsoft can leverage that.

If there isn't Zen 2 in next gen... I honestly would be surprised.



Pemalite said:

So he thinks there will be 3640 Navi cores... Meaning 1539mhz core clock to achieve the FP numbers.
Being Navi based would suck though.
In short... Expect around Vega 56/Vega 64/Geforce 1070 Ti/Geforce 1080/Geforce 2070 levels of performance... Which should be mid-range levels of performance by the time 2019 rolls around.

16GB of GDDR6 memory... With 14GB available to developers. - Either Sony has managed to significantly optimize their software stack, making it less memory intensive than the Playstation 4... Or. They are including a secondary large pool of DRAM for OS/Background tasks just like the Playstation 4.

EricHiggin said:

As for the specs, with a late 2019 25th anniversary launch, I'd say they probably wouldn't be all that far off at 6 Ryzen cores and Navi around 10TF, on 10nm-7nm, but I have a hard time believing it's Zen 2.  Ryzen, or maybe Ryzen+, but not Ryzen 2. That line of CPU's won't launch until early to mid 2019, so that would be way to new to go into a PS5 6 months or a year later. Also too many ports. Maybe for dev kits, but not for retail. 2TB should be the absolute min for the base console since Pro is already getting 2TB models. I'd also assume a $499 price unless PS eats $100 per unit.

AMD has confirmed that the Zen 2 design is completed. - There will be some sampling of chips in 2018 with a full launch in 2019.
Remember... CPU designs take years, many years. - Sony and Microsoft can leverage that.

If there isn't Zen 2 in next gen... I honestly would be surprised.

1550MHz seems too high, unless Navi has some voodoo magic or the PS5 is an XB1 at launch. XB1X is only 1175MHz, and that's with a vapor chamber heatsink.

The memory does seem off. Either a 20GB pool, or 16GB with separate OS RAM like you said.

I'm not worried about Zen 2 in terms of design or being ready, I'm worried about price. How much is a 6 core Ryzen 2 going to cost on 10nm or 7nm by late 2019, and hot much cheaper will PS get it for? While it should be semi custom and not a full blown Ryzen 2, I see the price potentially being an issue, unless they scale back elsewhere, up the launch price, or eat some more cost. If they had a long enough lead over Scarlet, they could just go with $499 for the first 6 months to a year, especially with the 25th anni hype.



The Canadian National Anthem According To Justin Trudeau

 

Oh planet Earth! The home of native lands, 
True social law, in all of us demand.
With cattle farts, we view sea rise,
Our North sinking slowly.
From far and snide, oh planet Earth, 
Our healthcare is yours free!
Science save our land, harnessing the breeze,
Oh planet Earth, smoke weed and ferment yeast.
Oh planet Earth, ell gee bee queue and tee.

Dulfite said:
Speaking of hardware, today I had some students arguing about whether the PS4 or Xbox one was better. I simply looked at them and stated, confidentially, Nintendo. They lost their minds haha.

Bravo considering you have school shooting in America. Could have triggered the kids lol



 

 

Dulfite said:
Speaking of hardware, today I had some students arguing about whether the PS4 or Xbox one was better. I simply looked at them and stated, confidentially, Nintendo. They lost their minds haha.

I'm surprised no one corrected you and said: "You mean the Switch?". 



Around the Network

Who is this guy and why should we believe him?



Sony already knows the release date two years in advance and an hdmi port on the front? Fake!!!!!

Plus that “render” looks very questionable. Fun regardless though but I’m currently fine with ps4. So many awesome games out and more to come including kingdom hearts 3, devil May cry 5, sekiro and re2 remake.



EricHiggin said:

1550MHz seems too high, unless Navi has some voodoo magic or the PS5 is an XB1 at launch. XB1X is only 1175MHz, and that's with a vapor chamber heatsink.

7nm brings with it a slew of advantages in regards to power consumption and heat production.

EricHiggin said:

I'm not worried about Zen 2 in terms of design or being ready, I'm worried about price. How much is a 6 core Ryzen 2 going to cost on 10nm or 7nm by late 2019, and hot much cheaper will PS get it for? While it should be semi custom and not a full blown Ryzen 2, I see the price potentially being an issue, unless they scale back elsewhere, up the launch price, or eat some more cost. If they had a long enough lead over Scarlet, they could just go with $499 for the first 6 months to a year, especially with the 25th anni hype.

You can't just look at the off-the-shelf pricing and assume that is what Microsoft/Sony is going to pay.
Ryzen 2 should be cost competitive with current Ryzen chips anyway.
A 6-core Ryzen 2 is likely a reduced single CCX anyway if the CCX is boosted to 8 cores, more than possible for a monolithic console SOC.

EricHiggin said:


The memory does seem off. Either a 20GB pool, or 16GB with separate OS RAM like you said.

Needs to be power of 2. Or split pools.
So... 16/24/32GB are the likely GDDR6 pools.
Or... 16GB GDDR6+4/8GB DDR4.

I don't see OS memory usage decrease over the prior generation... Don't think that has ever happened in any successive console release.

Cobretti2 said:

Bravo considering you have school shooting in America. Could have triggered the kids lol

Let's keep that kind of thing out of this thread and remain on topic please.

UltimateGamer1982 said:
Sony already knows the release date two years in advance and an hdmi port on the front? Fake!!!!!

Plus that “render” looks very questionable. Fun regardless though but I’m currently fine with ps4. So many awesome games out and more to come including kingdom hearts 3, devil May cry 5, sekiro and re2 remake.

Yeah. Looks like a derivative of the launch Xbox One... And that console was ridiculed to oblivion for is VCR/Ugly design.



EricHiggin said:

1550MHz seems too high, unless Navi has some voodoo magic or the PS5 is an XB1 at launch. XB1X is only 1175MHz, and that's with a vapor chamber heatsink.

The memory does seem off. Either a 20GB pool, or 16GB with separate OS RAM like you said.

I'm not worried about Zen 2 in terms of design or being ready, I'm worried about price. How much is a 6 core Ryzen 2 going to cost on 10nm or 7nm by late 2019, and hot much cheaper will PS get it for? While it should be semi custom and not a full blown Ryzen 2, I see the price potentially being an issue, unless they scale back elsewhere, up the launch price, or eat some more cost. If they had a long enough lead over Scarlet, they could just go with $499 for the first 6 months to a year, especially with the 25th anni hype.

The GPU clock is possible since the AMD engineers behind the Zen CPU microarchitecture spent time on optimizing Vega's cache (that's where they blew most of the transistor budget on the new design) so that the whole GPU could achieve higher clocks and that's without using GlobalFoundries 12nm refresh node which is rumored for their upcoming new Polaris chip but that'll still probably clock lower compared to Vega ... 

Navi will probably be built on 7nm but we don't have any idea if Sony is prototyping with it or if it's final shipping hardware since the original Orbis prototype featured 3rd generation Terascale chip equivalent to an AMD Radeon 6950 instead of a customized 2nd generation GCN chip like we saw shipping on base hardware ... 

I'd assume that the architecture is still a moving target so that they can still bake in some more new hardware features though but the ballpark specs sounds fine for developing next gen games ... 



LuccaCardoso1 said:
I'm sorry, but that render is so fake (and the design is so ugly). The guy just added a number 5 in Arial or something like that after the PlayStation logo. Next.

It might be fake, but you really think it looks uglier? I think it looks alot better especially over the sandwich looking Pro.