Quantcast
Over 1 Million People Have Played State of Decay 2 in it's First 48 Hours. Now at 2 Million Players.

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Over 1 Million People Have Played State of Decay 2 in it's First 48 Hours. Now at 2 Million Players.

Kemono said:
jason1637 said:

I've only got 2 hours playtime and I enjoyed it and will play more.

This is the main reason why you enjoy SoD2. Game a very repetative, you drop it very soon.

lol, it’s a loot and resource game, those always rely on repetition. As long as you enjoy the loop its fine. I have over 20 hours so far and won’t be stopping any time soon.



Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
The first game was a technical mess on 360, still did well.

So I'm not that surprised the sequel has an audience.

It seems to be a technical mess again, so should do well again :)
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-state-of-decay-2-tech-analysis

Funny that DF suddenly cares about performance difference
Xbox One X's visual extras give the game an impressive makeover, but as an online game it's unfair on those owners to receive such a palpable performance penalty, and in the here and now, the developer doesn't seem to have given much attention to ensuring a level playing field between users of both machines.
Never seemed to be a problem when it's the other way around.

The cynic is me says games as a service is just an excuse to release unfinished games, a fancy name for early access, to avoid the kinda backlash No man's sky got.



SvennoJ said: 


Funny that DF suddenly cares about performance difference
Xbox One X's visual extras give the game an impressive makeover, but as an online game it's unfair on those owners to receive such a palpable performance penalty, and in the here and now, the developer doesn't seem to have given much attention to ensuring a level playing field between users of both machines.
Never seemed to be a problem when it's the other way around.

Isn't State of Decay 2 multiplayer co-operative anyway, does a "level playing field" even matter?



LTD: PS4 - 125m, Switch - 110m, XBO - 51m

2020: PS4 - 9m, Switch - 22.5m, XBO - 2.5m, PS5 - 4.5m, XBX - 2.8m

jason1637 said:
DaveTheMinion13 said:
That PR spin lol first 48 hours WW......yet includes the people who paid 50 last friday....basically 6 days instead of 2.

 

JRPGfan said:

Atleast 400k of that has to be from actual buys... in its first 2days. (*edit: 6days with the early access)

 

Oh yeah, some got eary access right? if they paid abit more.

It says over a million in the first two days of Global release so I don't think they're including the early access version.

 

What. Are. You. Talking. About lol literally in your post fam.

 

"Since Early Access for the Ultimate Edition on May 18 and the global release of the Standard Edition on May 22, we have had over a million survivors across the globe playing and creating their own zombie survival story."



Preston Scott

Aeolus451 said:
Azzanation said:

Yes its a games sale site, but you are looking far too much into it. MS hasn't signed an oath to this site, they don't even have to tell us anything. There business model is completely different to Nintendo's and Sony's. This day and age, we must start accepting it, a digital world and service especially for the Xbox brand. 1m players is still 1m players who went out of there way to play SoD2 which I would think is a great thing considering the games (Low) budget and sale price.. seems like a win for MS/Xbox. 

Does it matter if half those numbers were on Mobile phones, free trails, or forced bundles? It seems many on this site excuse forced bundling so might as well excuse the rest of it. Nothing is ever accurate. Just like Wii Sports for the Wii, greatest selling game of all time.. yeah okay. (I loved Wii Sports, just saying)

It matters because it will influence if people on the fence would buy an xbox or buy the game at all. When a game publisher obscures how well their games are doing, it doesn't speak well for how good the game is. If a game has a price tag, how many people paid for it matters. If a game is part of a games as a service business model then concurrent players who pay matter. 

I am still a little confused on why it matters. The general public who buy video games don't ask the store people how well a game is selling for them to make a purchase, nor does a game selling extremely well or not will make that difference. Iv worked in retail long enough to know that customers rarely approach me on how good a game is selling for them to make a purchase. If someone is after a Zombie Survival game than most times they will pick up the SOD2 box and start reading the back info, not how much it has sold in general.

MS are saying 1m people are playing SOD2, regardless of platform, that is a good number across the broad, do we need accurate information? No I don't think we do. Is the game doing well? Well enough for MS to comment on it, that's all that really matters. 

Honestly games like SOD2 and Sea of Thieves are designed for Game Pass, its not about the short term sales, these are games that hold 100+ hours of gameplay, this is what MS seem to be focusing on to convince customers to subscribe to Live and Game Pass. The longer the game the higher the chance to increase those Game Pass memberships per month.



Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Aeolus451 said:

It matters because it will influence if people on the fence would buy an xbox or buy the game at all. When a game publisher obscures how well their games are doing, it doesn't speak well for how good the game is. If a game has a price tag, how many people paid for it matters. If a game is part of a games as a service business model then concurrent players who pay matter. 

I am still a little confused on why it matters. The general public who buy video games don't ask the store people how well a game is selling for them to make a purchase, nor does a game selling extremely well or not will make that difference. Iv worked in retail long enough to know that customers rarely approach me on how good a game is selling for them to make a purchase. If someone is after a Zombie Survival game than most times they will pick up the SOD2 box and start reading the back info, not how much it has sold in general.

MS are saying 1m people are playing SOD2, regardless of platform, that is a good number across the broad, do we need accurate information? No I don't think we do. Is the game doing well? Well enough for MS to comment on it, that's all that really matters. 

Honestly games like SOD2 and Sea of Thieves are designed for Game Pass, its not about the short term sales, these are games that hold 100+ hours of gameplay, this is what MS seem to be focusing on to convince customers to subscribe to Live and Game Pass. The longer the game the higher the chance to increase those Game Pass memberships per month.

Anyone would want to know how good a game is via reviews, youtube vids or by whatever means. If a game is reviewed badly or okay, it's sales will reflect it. Personally, if a game has mp, I want to know how many concurrent players it has.

MS will comment on any game and find the biggest number to use (likely one that doesn't mean anything to gamers) in their pr. 10 million players that played it doesn't mean anything if it was off of a free trial or if they played it for a few hours and stopped playing it entirely or if they bought the game to play it.

SoT doesn't have the content to get most gamers to play for that long.

Last edited by Aeolus451 - on 26 May 2018

It probably sold 19 copies once you subtract all the free GamePass trials.



SvennoJ said:
Mr Puggsly said:
The first game was a technical mess on 360, still did well.

So I'm not that surprised the sequel has an audience.

It seems to be a technical mess again, so should do well again :)
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-state-of-decay-2-tech-analysis

Funny that DF suddenly cares about performance difference
Xbox One X's visual extras give the game an impressive makeover, but as an online game it's unfair on those owners to receive such a palpable performance penalty, and in the here and now, the developer doesn't seem to have given much attention to ensuring a level playing field between users of both machines.
Never seemed to be a problem when it's the other way around.

The cynic is me says games as a service is just an excuse to release unfinished games, a fancy name for early access, to avoid the kinda backlash No man's sky got.

It seems like they could easily fix the X1X version simply by offering a performance mode that lowers the resolution. Or let the resolution drop further for a stable 30 fps.

I think there is simply a problem with studios not being efficient and perhaps making their games too ambitious. Games with a single player focus tend to launch in a more complete state than a game that attempts to offer a campaign, PvP, co-op, etc. With that said, MS games are pretty ambitious. Lets also consider Gran Turismo is taking an entire generation to release a complete product.

A majority of users are still buying 1st party MS games outright (not relying on Gamepass), so there still needs to be quality control for those buying the game.



Recently Completed
Doom 64
for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

LudicrousSpeed said:
It probably sold 19 copies once you subtract all the free GamePass trials.

Its a $30 game and the predecessor had a big following.

So you can definitely add a zero to the end of that 19.



Recently Completed
Doom 64
for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

LuccaCardoso1 said:
It doesn't say much if it's included on the game pass. My guess is Microsoft will keep releasing this kind of statement for every game they release (just like they did with Sea of Thieves), but they'll never disclose what percentage of those people actually bought the game for its retail price.

I think you're probably right.  But, also think that we're going to have to get used to it.  The reality is that MS wants ongoing revenue from services - Gamepass and XBL being the big ones.  They essentially have said that they no longer care about sales at retail, as they've knowingly and purposely undermined their own ability to sell games.  The recent statement from Sony dude indicated that they too will put more focus on service revenues, as MS has been saying for years.

I don't have areal opinion on the whole "games as a service" concept*.  But, I think that's just the way the industry is moving whether we like it or not. 


* Gamepass is a big point in favor of GaaS.