Quantcast
PS4 has done what Wii never could - hit 50% marketshare!

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 has done what Wii never could - hit 50% marketshare!

biglittlesps said:
Vodacixi said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Vodacixi said:
Ka-pi96 said:

PS4 has negatives, no wait 'major' negatives? Such as?

Such as having to pay for the online and poor and few exclusive titles.

Paying for online is standard, hardly a negative. There are plenty of brilliant exclusives for PS4, if you don't like them than that's your loss. But I can assure you there are plenty of people who do like them.

So these 'negatives' are only for you. To the majority of people they don't even exist...

Of course it's for me. Anyway, I don't give a shit if it's standard. If killing people became standard because whatever reason, would it be ok? Having to pay for the online is a pain in the ass, standard or not.

Moving to the exclusives... just no. It has some really mediocre new IPs... like Knack and The Order. And then some sequels that are vastly inferior to its predecessors like Killzone, Little Big Planet 3 or Infamous SS. I don't say they are bad, in fact they move between the "meh" and the "very good", but they're somehow disappointing and poor for the previous reasons. Bloodborne is the only thing that is actually brilliant. As for the others... just no.

And just in case you still don't get it: all of this is FOR ME. MY OPINION.

Gamers buy PS4 only for exclusives?  3rd party games are not games? Many people bought PS4 because its a all in one better gaming machine in price, performance and diverse library but not nintendo exclusive only machine like Wii U. Also games should not be great to play, good enough is needed to play and it can be great for some based on their likes.


When the heck did I say any of this?! My God...

They asked me why did I thought PS4 did not deserve to be this massive success. One of my personal reasons was the poor exclusive catalogue. The fact that Sony didn't even try to make amazing first party games. They have been lazy and I don't want laziness to be rewarded with maximum success. Multiplatform or third parties have nothing to do with this. But of course, some of you have the need of defend your platform, even if there is no need to do it.



Around the Network
Ninsect said:
Ryudo said:
As a Wii U and PS4 owner I must ask why? It doesn't deserve it. I like my PS4 but it really doesn't offer much yet. Wii U is kicking ass in exclusives. Wii U deserves double the sales it gets.

Bolded the important part. PS4 has all the biggest games. People don't care if they're exclusive or not. While WiiU is getting 1-2 games per month at most, PS4 is getting multiple games per week.


I dont want to derail the main topic, but the Wii U have only 2 games (retail) released this very year, Mario Party 10 and Kirby Rainbow Curse.

 

The Ps4 have more retail games released on a single day than the Wii U in half a year.

 

Just wanted to make that correction  



AEGRO said:
Ninsect said:

Bolded the important part. PS4 has all the biggest games. People don't care if they're exclusive or not. While WiiU is getting 1-2 games per month at most, PS4 is getting multiple games per week.


I dont want to derail the main topic, but the Wii U have only 2 games (retail) released this very year, Mario Party 10 and Kirby Rainbow Curse.

 

The Ps4 have more retail games released on a single day than the Wii U in half a year.

 

Just wanted to make that correction  

This is where users can choose to be selective about their data and reasoning.

If one points out that the PS4 is offering more 1st party exclusives than the Wii U in a given year (or even as a per annum average), the contrary response will address the perceived difference in quality or Metacritic scores, etc. reasoning that two higher rated games equals better support than four lower rated games, which ignores the probability that more games, regardless of quality equals more variety, which appeals to a broader base of consumers. 



At least 55% marketshare for the PS4 at some point in 2016, calling it now.



So much salt.

~Mod Edit~

This post has been moderated.

-Smeags



Around the Network

Congrats to PS4 its an incredible system, however this achievement against the Wii is slightly tarnished due to the fact that the PS4 doesnt have the same level of competition Wii had.



The 50% market share was an inevitability; the only debate was over when it would happen.

The only reason why it even matters, given that consumers have already spoken that the PS4 will be this generation's leading platform, is because that nice round 50% number was the number Nintendo fans on VGC were eagerly awaiting, with some of Nintendo's more zealous and enthusiastic fans arguing that when that happened, 3rd party developers would HAVE to funnel lead support resources to the Wii or risk going out of business or becoming irrelevant.

We can laugh about this in retrospect, but old time VGC users probably remember this.



Ninsect said:
celador said:
How high can it go? 60% seems too much to me, but 55% could be attainable.

60%+ by the end of the gen, no doubt. WiiU won't last long and PS4 will always outsell XB1 easily.


Just to clarify if it hasn't been already. For the PS4 to keep this percentage it has to keep selling at the rate of 2:1 vs the XBone+WiiU on average.

Probably not that easy.



AEGRO said:
Ninsect said:

Bolded the important part. PS4 has all the biggest games. People don't care if they're exclusive or not. While WiiU is getting 1-2 games per month at most, PS4 is getting multiple games per week.


I dont want to derail the main topic, but the Wii U have only 2 games (retail) released this very year, Mario Party 10 and Kirby Rainbow Curse.

 

The Ps4 have more retail games released on a single day than the Wii U in half a year.

 

Just wanted to make that correction  

Oh. Holy shit, it's worse than I thought. Seriously, wat. I can hardly believe that. And people dare say it deserves more sales. Wth



The One and Only

VizionEck.com

ithis said:
Ninsect said:

60%+ by the end of the gen, no doubt. WiiU won't last long and PS4 will always outsell XB1 easily.


Just to clarify if it hasn't been already. For the PS4 to keep this percentage it has to keep selling at the rate of 2:1 vs the XBone+WiiU on average.

Probably not that easy.

Why? This year it's at like 60% marketshare.
Lifetime sales for WiiU won't be much higher than 15m. XB1 could do anything from 45m-75m imo so that means for PS4 to keep its marketshare it would only need to sell 60-90m...



The One and Only

VizionEck.com