Quantcast
Screw The Casuals, Let Them Abandon Nintendo

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Screw The Casuals, Let Them Abandon Nintendo

Soundwave said:
ninjablade said:
Soundwave said:
KylieDog said:
If anything Nintendo needs embrace the casuals, heavily. They not going to win against XB3/PS4, especially not when underpowered to them.


Who says they have to "win" against XB3/PS4? 

The Wii "won" and what did we get? Crap from third parties, Nintendo getting lazy on things like presentation and half-assing an online network, refusing for years to allow us to expand the Wii's internal storage, Moderately OK sales for any core Nintendo IP not named Mario, and NOA preferring to sell nothing at all than translate games like The Last Story (probably because their focus groups told them there's little to no market for that since it's not soccer mom friendly). 

If that's "winning" give me the N64 or GameCube any day. Nintendo will turn a tidy profit in the end. 

Let Sony go bankrupt chasing Microsoft with 1/100th of the bank account and a huge debt around their necks if they want. 

the wii u is  sellin much worst the gamecube at he moment, i don't think they can survive with out the casuals, most of the nintendo fans have moved on to ps3/360.

Nintendo still made large gains in Europe and Japan last gen, if they can outperform the GameCube in those two territories (and the GameCube bombed in both of those places) they can still finish with a decent userbase even if the Wii U sells exactly like the GameCube in North America. 

And if that pushes Nintendo to have to try harder, to sweat a little bit, to try some new things they wouldn't otherwise -- GOOD. That's never a bad thing. 

Sure as hell beats them parading into E3 2008 drunk on their own success and saying Wii Music and Animal Crossing was good enough and basically telling core players to sit down and shut up. 

The fact is too, unless the PS4/720 ramp up to ridiculous levels quickly (doubtful if they're starting at $400 or more), the 3DS should be the best selling game platform for the next two years. It's the only system that really sells solid in all three major markets. So that should give Nintendo some breathing room even if it isn't as successful as the DS. 90-95 million 3DS' in profit isn't charity money. 

wiiu is basically a flop in europe and won't recover, lets be realistic, gamers are just not interested in nintendo anymore.



Around the Network
ninjablade said:
Soundwave said:
ninjablade said:
Soundwave said:
KylieDog said:
If anything Nintendo needs embrace the casuals, heavily. They not going to win against XB3/PS4, especially not when underpowered to them.


Who says they have to "win" against XB3/PS4? 

The Wii "won" and what did we get? Crap from third parties, Nintendo getting lazy on things like presentation and half-assing an online network, refusing for years to allow us to expand the Wii's internal storage, Moderately OK sales for any core Nintendo IP not named Mario, and NOA preferring to sell nothing at all than translate games like The Last Story (probably because their focus groups told them there's little to no market for that since it's not soccer mom friendly). 

If that's "winning" give me the N64 or GameCube any day. Nintendo will turn a tidy profit in the end. 

Let Sony go bankrupt chasing Microsoft with 1/100th of the bank account and a huge debt around their necks if they want. 

the wii u is  sellin much worst the gamecube at he moment, i don't think they can survive with out the casuals, most of the nintendo fans have moved on to ps3/360.

Nintendo still made large gains in Europe and Japan last gen, if they can outperform the GameCube in those two territories (and the GameCube bombed in both of those places) they can still finish with a decent userbase even if the Wii U sells exactly like the GameCube in North America. 

And if that pushes Nintendo to have to try harder, to sweat a little bit, to try some new things they wouldn't otherwise -- GOOD. That's never a bad thing. 

Sure as hell beats them parading into E3 2008 drunk on their own success and saying Wii Music and Animal Crossing was good enough and basically telling core players to sit down and shut up. 

The fact is too, unless the PS4/720 ramp up to ridiculous levels quickly (doubtful if they're starting at $400 or more), the 3DS should be the best selling game platform for the next two years. It's the only system that really sells solid in all three major markets. So that should give Nintendo some breathing room even if it isn't as successful as the DS. 90-95 million 3DS' in profit isn't charity money. 

wiiu is basically a flop in europe and won't recover, lets be realistic, gamers are just not interested in nintendo anymore.

 

The GameCube sold almost nothing in Europe though. The Wii U can beat that if Nintendo really tries. They still have time to get their act together and their brand is stronger in Europe than it was 10 years ago even if the Wii U has had a bad start. 



Soundwave said:
ninjablade said:
Soundwave said:
ninjablade said:
Soundwave said:
KylieDog said:
If anything Nintendo needs embrace the casuals, heavily. They not going to win against XB3/PS4, especially not when underpowered to them.


Who says they have to "win" against XB3/PS4? 

The Wii "won" and what did we get? Crap from third parties, Nintendo getting lazy on things like presentation and half-assing an online network, refusing for years to allow us to expand the Wii's internal storage, Moderately OK sales for any core Nintendo IP not named Mario, and NOA preferring to sell nothing at all than translate games like The Last Story (probably because their focus groups told them there's little to no market for that since it's not soccer mom friendly). 

If that's "winning" give me the N64 or GameCube any day. Nintendo will turn a tidy profit in the end. 

Let Sony go bankrupt chasing Microsoft with 1/100th of the bank account and a huge debt around their necks if they want. 

the wii u is  sellin much worst the gamecube at he moment, i don't think they can survive with out the casuals, most of the nintendo fans have moved on to ps3/360.

Nintendo still made large gains in Europe and Japan last gen, if they can outperform the GameCube in those two territories (and the GameCube bombed in both of those places) they can still finish with a decent userbase even if the Wii U sells exactly like the GameCube in North America. 

And if that pushes Nintendo to have to try harder, to sweat a little bit, to try some new things they wouldn't otherwise -- GOOD. That's never a bad thing. 

Sure as hell beats them parading into E3 2008 drunk on their own success and saying Wii Music and Animal Crossing was good enough and basically telling core players to sit down and shut up. 

The fact is too, unless the PS4/720 ramp up to ridiculous levels quickly (doubtful if they're starting at $400 or more), the 3DS should be the best selling game platform for the next two years. It's the only system that really sells solid in all three major markets. So that should give Nintendo some breathing room even if it isn't as successful as the DS. 90-95 million 3DS' in profit isn't charity money. 

wiiu is basically a flop in europe and won't recover, lets be realistic, gamers are just not interested in nintendo anymore.

 

The GameCube sold almost nothing in Europe though. The Wii U can beat that if Nintendo really tries. They still have time to get their act together and their brand is stronger in Europe than it was 10 years ago even if the Wii U has had a bad start. 

I don't know if they can honestly, those launch number are horrendas in the us and europe, were talking about the holiday season with mario and a large supply of inventory, the interest in the system is much worst then gamecube.




The GameCube sold 4.77 million in Europe

The Wii sold 35+ million in Europe.

Even if they can double the GameCube number to about 10 million in Europe (which would be a huge drop from the Wii, but whatever), that's decent at least.

They will have a price cut by fall if not sooner and Mario Kart for the fall at least, I would pretty much book that. 



I think the market is saturated which is a key factor for slow WiiU sales.. i mean we now have 3 Hi Def consoles ( 2 established), 3 handheld consoles, I phones and tablets, Wii/Kinect/move, and i cant see 720/PS4 faring any better untill a few of thse other consoles are off the market.

OT- I agree with the original post, i would be happy with lower WiiU sales but much more gamer oriented content. I fully expected WiiU to sell more in line with say an N64 or SNES, and i also think sales arent that bad considering that people are still clinging on to the previous gen. ( and rightly so money is tight these days)



Around the Network

In Europe, the best thing to do is to show people some games and cut prices down to Japanese/US levels, because it's too expensive for most people here right now. This price point is something that people would have been OK with in 2008 or 2009, but not now.



I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Soundwave said:


The GameCube sold 4.77 million in Europe

The Wii sold 35+ million in Europe.

Even if they can double the GameCube number to about 10 million in Europe (which would be a huge drop from the Wii, but whatever), that's decent at least.

They will have a price cut by fall if not sooner and Mario Kart for the fall at least, I would pretty much book that. 


Sure anything is possible, although highly improbable, people just don't realize how bad things really are, for a console that's not supply constraint, to be selling this bad at launch, at a decent price point with mario, i mean its basically dead on arrival, wii u fit is coming out soon, if thats doesnt push systems, forget about it, this system, will be luck to do 30 million.



Me to, I miss "oldschool" Nintendo!!! When they've the best consoles and the best games.



i, as a core gamer, enjoy very much casual games like Wii sports, wouldnt like them to ditch those games, obviously i would prefer a N64 situation, with Nintendo pioneering in games and technology at the same time
Times have changed and thats now not viable financially, well, let it be, if you dont like it dont buy it, stick to your hollywood blockbuster nonsense thats ruining the industry(not directed at you Soundwave)



I really hope theres gonna be a Xenoblade 2.

Xenoblade is such a good game. I wish it sold 10 million copies on the Wii. It's probably the best RPG this gen. Here's hoping Wii U picks up its pace and sells well. =)



You are the answer to every prayer I've offered.

You are a song, a dream, a whisper, and I don't know how I could have lived without you for as long as I have.