Quantcast
So, Fire Emblem Three Houses turned out exactly as I feared...

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, Fire Emblem Three Houses turned out exactly as I feared...

It's basically Echoes 2.0, which is still surprising to me that they would base their first Switch installment on the worst 3DS Fire Emblem in terms of both sales and quality. Then again these are the same people who do Paper Mario lul. This is was evident since the Treehouse footage but I wanted to give them the ultimate benefit of the doubt and wait until I played it myself. Well what do you know, the game didn't magically change when I put it in my Switch. :L

No weapon triangle, the *Range Meta*, units overall tankier, all return from Echoes. Combined with the new stuff like Punching and class customization a.k.a. everybody gets a bow and/or magic, this game hardly qualifies as a strategy game, unless you believe walking up to any given enemy with any given unit and killing them without retaliation is strategy.

Thankfully the annoying stuff from Echoes like forced grinding and Cantors don't return, but instead there's the monastery, which as feared bloats the time spent between missions significantly compared to past entries. At first I didn't mind too much, I really like that unlike prior games your characters say new things as you progress through the story, but the activitys have gotten tiresome.

Despite all this, I do enjoy the game overall. This was also true with Echoes but even moreso than that game. The way I see it I play this game more as a powertrip rather than to test my mettle. However, between the gameplay being less thoughtful and the time it takes to get to the gameplay being pretty long, I fear much like Echoes I wont bother with another playthrough. The main reason I'd want to is for the story and characters but eh there's always Youtube.

So yeah, I had just remembered I made a thread previously voicing my concerns about the game so thought I should make a follow-up... cause I was right, booyah! ...oh wait, that's bad. :(



I liked it. Felt the ending was a bit anticlimactic, but I enjoyed it and felt it was certainly above Echoes. However, I still think Awakening and Fates are better. 

I took the Black Eagle route...

Spoiler!
I chose to side with Edelgard and the Empire instead of Rhea and the Church. And looking at YouTube videos, I'm fully convinced that I chose the "Good" Path.

... with that said, I don't really feel the need or urge to play the other two routes since neither house really struck any chords with me... Well, maybe I'll try the Golden Deer path at some point because I do like Claude. But I couldn't give two shits about Dimitri or the Blue Lions. 

Whenever I do go back to Three Houses, I'll just load up a New Game+ file and go the Black Eagle route again and hopefully recruit more students from the other houses into my own.



Pancho A. Ovies

Nintendo Switch in Japan (Famitsu): 2018 vs. 2019
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=238945&page=2

PlayStation 4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch: 2018 vs. 2019
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=239387

As a massive fan of Fire Emblem 1 and Fire Emblem 2, which I played on the DS with it's backwards compatibility, as well as Path Of Radiance on the Gamecube, that sounds disappointing. I was a huge fan of FF Tactics as well, and the next game in that series I played, FF Tactics Advance 2, was nowhere near as good as the original. Way too easy. Actual strategy was not really necessary. I scorched through a fairly boring experience, and haven't really returned to the sub-genre outside of a brief flirtation with Disgaea 3.

It's getting good reviews though, so ????? Your write up is the first one I've read.



Chinese food for breakfast

 

You were already projecting yourself into your own conclusion even before the release, let's just say the results on your perspective is .... less than surprising.

Anywoo, I liked Echoes, it has some questionnable design but Three Houses on the other hand is fantastic so far. I guess I don't feel burn out from all the stuff there's to do and manage. The combat is fun and I do like the Gambit dynamic that goes into battles with monsters.



Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Oops I should probably mention I'm playing Golden Deer Hard/Classic on Ch.17 currently.

PAOerfulone said:

I liked it. Felt the ending was a bit anticlimactic, but I enjoyed it and felt it was certainly above Echoes. However, I still think Awakening and Fates are better. 

I took the Black Eagle route...

Spoiler!
I chose to side with Edelgard and the Empire instead of Rhea and the Church. And looking at YouTube videos, I'm fully convinced that I chose the "Good" Path.

... with that said, I don't really feel the need or urge to play the other two routes since neither house really struck any chords with me... Well, maybe I'll try the Golden Deer path at some point because I do like Claude. But I couldn't give two shits about Dimitri or the Blue Lions. 

Whenever I do go back to Three Houses, I'll just load up a New Game+ file and go the Black Eagle route again and hopefully recruit more students from the other houses into my own.

Cool we're of the same mind when comparing it to the 3DS games. I was planning on Blue Lions for my second playthrough but after seeing what happens yeah Black Eagles sounds way more interesting.

COKTOE said:
As a massive fan of Fire Emblem 1 and Fire Emblem 2, which I played on the DS with it's backwards compatibility, as well as Path Of Radiance on the Gamecube, that sounds disappointing. I was a huge fan of FF Tactics as well, and the next game in that series I played, FF Tactics Advance 2, was nowhere near as good as the original. Way too easy. Actual strategy was not really necessary. I scorched through a fairly boring experience, and haven't really returned to the sub-genre outside of a brief flirtation with Disgaea 3.

It's getting good reviews though, so ????? Your write up is the first one I've read.

You know reviewers aren't good at video games trololol. The game on a whole is ok if you just want to experience a story with good characters and mindlessly kill stuff, but if you're looking to actually use strategy I can't recomend it.



Mar1217 said:
You were already projecting yourself into your own conclusion even before the release, let's just say the results on your perspective is .... less than surprising.

Anywoo, I liked Echoes, it has some questionnable design but Three Houses on the other hand is fantastic so far. I guess I don't feel burn out from all the stuff there's to do and manage. The combat is fun and I do like the Gambit dynamic that goes into battles with monsters.

Not sure what your first sentence is supposed to mean.



Lonely_Dolphin said:

It's basically Echoes 2.0, which is still surprising to me that they would base their first Switch installment on the worst 3DS Fire Emblem in terms of both sales and quality. Then again these are the same people who do Paper Mario lul. This is was evident since the Treehouse footage but I wanted to give them the ultimate benefit of the doubt and wait until I played it myself. Well what do you know, the game didn't magically change when I put it in my Switch. :L

No weapon triangle, the *Range Meta*, units overall tankier, all return from Echoes. Combined with the new stuff like Punching and class customization a.k.a. everybody gets a bow and/or magic, this game hardly qualifies as a strategy game, unless you believe walking up to any given enemy with any given unit and killing them without retaliation is strategy.

Thankfully the annoying stuff from Echoes like forced grinding and Cantors don't return, but instead there's the monastery, which as feared bloats the time spent between missions significantly compared to past entries. At first I didn't mind too much, I really like that unlike prior games your characters say new things as you progress through the story, but the activitys have gotten tiresome.

Despite all this, I do enjoy the game overall. This was also true with Echoes but even moreso than that game. The way I see it I play this game more as a powertrip rather than to test my mettle. However, between the gameplay being less thoughtful and the time it takes to get to the gameplay being pretty long, I fear much like Echoes I wont bother with another playthrough. The main reason I'd want to is for the story and characters but eh there's always Youtube.

So yeah, I had just remembered I made a thread previously voicing my concerns about the game so thought I should make a follow-up... cause I was right, booyah! ...oh wait, that's bad. :(

Echoes? The only good FE story wise on 3ds?



Might be my favorite in the series. I really like the Monastery way more than I expected. It gives you a more interesting way to interact with your units. More importantly for me, it allows you to interact with units that you may not want to use in battle. In previous games, unless you actually use them in your party you would never get to know them. And since some units are redundant that wound up not happening.

As for walking up to enemies and killing them without retaliation, either Gold Deer path is much easier than Black Eagles, or I'm doing something wrong. Even my tankier characters are pretty vulnerable and are likely to get killed if I leave them in the range of more than one enemy. If anything my units feel a lot weaker than Awakening or Fates where my bulkier units could just draw enemy fire without concern.

Random story. I wanted to see more about how item weight effects your characters. I typed in "Fire Emblem Three Houses Weight" and one of google's suggestions was "Fire Emblem Weight gain fanfic". What the fuck kind of shit are people into?



Lonely_Dolphin said:
Mar1217 said:
You were already projecting yourself into your own conclusion even before the release, let's just say the results on your perspective is .... less than surprising.

Anywoo, I liked Echoes, it has some questionnable design but Three Houses on the other hand is fantastic so far. I guess I don't feel burn out from all the stuff there's to do and manage. The combat is fun and I do like the Gambit dynamic that goes into battles with monsters.

Not sure what your first sentence is supposed to mean.

You set yourself up for disappointement, so of course you'd feel disapointed.



Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

One thing I should mention about the two Black Eagle routes is that one of them is hidden and this is how you unlock it... (Not sure if this is really a spoiler, but better safe than sorry.)

Spoiler!
The option to side with Edelgard and the Empire is the hidden route you have to unlock, otherwise you'll side with Rhea and the Church by default. First, you have to reach a C+ Support Rank with Edelgard by February 8. Next, you have to explore the Monastery some time between February 8 and February 22. There should be a opportunity to talk with Edelgard within this time frame where you learn about her tragic backstory. Then, you agree to go with her when she asks you to accompany her back to the Adrestian Empire to become the new Emperor. Once you do all of that, then you'll get the option after the battle inside the Holy Tomb in Chapter 11 to either Kill Her (Default Route) or Protect Her (Hidden Route). Choose the latter option and BOOM you get the Edelgard Route.


Pancho A. Ovies

Nintendo Switch in Japan (Famitsu): 2018 vs. 2019
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=238945&page=2

PlayStation 4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch: 2018 vs. 2019
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=239387