By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nobuo Uematsu vs. Yasunori Mitsuda

Mitsuda>Uematsu

Xenogears>FF7>Chrono Trigger>FF6>Chrono Cross

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Around the Network

If anyone cares, I also think Uematsu has more complete music education than Mitsuda.

Anyway, I think asking who is a better composer to random forum guys instead of people who actually know about making music isnt going to give us an anwser that we can take seriously.

pastro243 said:
If anyone cares, I also think Uematsu has more complete music education than Mitsuda.

Anyway, I think asking who is a better composer to random forum guys instead of people who actually know about making music isnt going to give us an anwser that we can take seriously.

For the record, Uematsu received little to no formal music education, whereas Mitsuda attended a music university and decided he wanted to be a composer at a young age. While Uematsu picked up his job at Square more as a side job, Mitsuda was demanding to compose scores for Square's games or he would probably leave the company.

Currently playing: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, NBA2k11, Metal Gear Solid, Picross 3d

iLLmaticV3 said:
tehsage said:
Koji Kondo

/thread

same here

selnor said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
selnor said:
This thread is rediculous. Nobuo is the only answer you can give. Not only does his resume destroy others in JRPG's, every game has it's unique style while remaining his mark.

See my post above.

Also I think you should really broaden your scope (and possibly repertoire) of actual composers of music for JRPGs.  There's actually more than just Uematsu (and even the select few that have been named in this thread).  Many who work on a host of different mediums from Anime to live action film to even Hollywood productions.  Uematsu is not the only one out there and frankly not the best.  Just like John Williams is not the only composer for film scores in Hollywood.  And yes, I did not choose that example by chance.

This thread is about Uematsu or Mitsuda. Clearly because FF13 has come under scrutiny ( and because his last 2 games were 360 exclusive ) the majority of FF lovers will obviously say Mitsuda. Even though his game resume is clearly nothing in comparison. Just like when Hironobu Sakaguchi was with Square Enix FF fans could say no wrong about him. They pretty much worshiped the guy. When he left, it's all like oh well he's not that good. LOL. I've been gaming long enough to know that Uematsu is a legend in JRPGs. The same for Sakaguchi ( after all there would be no FF if not for him ). I dont care who else in Japan is or isnt better. But in gaming Uematsu has won more awards than any other Japanese game composer.

Guess again.  Once again, see my first post.  I can name multiple people who have either been more influential, popular, or 'won more awards' than Uematsu in Japan (Koichi Sugiyama, Koji Kondo, Yoko Kanno, etc).  As I said before, Uematsu is good, but mostly you're tying his 'greatness' to the fact that he worked on Final Fantasy.  Much like how people consider John Williams to be the greatest composer of movie music by default because he worked on Star Wars.  Neither is necessarily the cause just because they are popular.  Being the most known doesn't mean you're the best or the most popular.  And trust me....there's composers in Japan way more popular than Uematsu.

The Final Fantasy music will sell out a concert here and there.  Wheras the music for Dragon Quest and Mario have practically replaced the nations national anthem (and the main theme for Dragon Quest has been played as major sporting events in Japan).  There's a big difference.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network

Kenryoku I appreciate the sentiment here but we gotta keep this to Uematsu and Mitsuda

Otherwise I'd be arguing for Koji Kondo, and Hayato Matsuo, and Hitoshi Sakimoto, and Masaharu Iwata, and and and and etc.

Err, if I Final Fantasy music is a must learn for japanese students in elementary school, and i'm pretty sure FF music was played in such occasions as well.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Sorcery said:
pastro243 said:

For the record, Uematsu received little to no formal music education, whereas Mitsuda attended a music university and decided he wanted to be a composer at a young age. While Uematsu picked up his job at Square more as a side job, Mitsuda was demanding to compose scores for Square's games or he would probably leave the company.

Yeah, I take that back. Though Wikipedia doesnt say much about the way they learned to make music, it would be interesting to know more.

rutea7 said:

Just for the sake of clarifying, all of you who mention Chrono Trigger's OST as one of Mitsuda's most memorable do indeed realise that Uematsu co-composed the soundtrack, right? -_-

Also, my vote goes to Uematsu.  Final Fantasy VI and VIII are the most memorable OSTs to me.

Uematsu only did 3 tracks in Chrono Trigger.

g-value said:
rutea7 said:

Just for the sake of clarifying, all of you who mention Chrono Trigger's OST as one of Mitsuda's most memorable do indeed realise that Uematsu co-composed the soundtrack, right? -_-

Also, my vote goes to Uematsu.  Final Fantasy VI and VIII are the most memorable OSTs to me.

Uematsu only did 3 tracks in Chrono Trigger.

No Uematsu wrote 10 for Chrono Trigger. Ther was 37 main songs alltogether.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrono_Trigger