By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nobuo Uematsu vs. Yasunori Mitsuda

If this was a Yoko Shimomura vs Nobuo Uematsu I'd go Shimomura.

But in this case I pick Nobuo Uematsu. Never get bored of his awesome FF soundtracks.

Around the Network

Nobuo Uematsu = God
Yasunori Mitsuda = Jesus

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
selnor said:
This thread is rediculous. Nobuo is the only answer you can give. Not only does his resume destroy others in JRPG's, every game has it's unique style while remaining his mark.

See my post above.

Also I think you should really broaden your scope (and possibly repertoire) of actual composers of music for JRPGs.  There's actually more than just Uematsu (and even the select few that have been named in this thread).  Many who work on a host of different mediums from Anime to live action film to even Hollywood productions.  Uematsu is not the only one out there and frankly not the best.  Just like John Williams is not the only composer for film scores in Hollywood.  And yes, I did not choose that example by chance.

This thread is about Uematsu or Mitsuda. Clearly because FF13 has come under scrutiny ( and because his last 2 games were 360 exclusive ) the majority of FF lovers will obviously say Mitsuda. Even though his game resume is clearly nothing in comparison. Just like when Hironobu Sakaguchi was with Square Enix FF fans could say no wrong about him. They pretty much worshiped the guy. When he left, it's all like oh well he's not that good. LOL. I've been gaming long enough to know that Uematsu is a legend in JRPGs. The same for Sakaguchi ( after all there would be no FF if not for him ). I dont care who else in Japan is or isnt better. But in gaming Uematsu has won more awards than any other Japanese game composer.

Mitsuda. His themes are AMAZING. So are Nobuos though. But I think I would take Naoshi Mizuta over both of them.

g-value said:

Who do you think is the better composer? Nobuo Uematsu or Yasunori Mitsuda?

Nobuo Uematsu is the person who composed the music for the Final Fantasy series (except Final Fantasy 13) as well as Mistwalker's Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey.

Yasunori Mitsuda is the person who composed the music for Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Xenosaga: Episode 1, Soma Bringer and Sands of Destruction.

For me, it's Yasunori Mitsuda >>>>>>>>> Nobuo Uematsu :)

Nobuo. Chrono Cross's music is overrated and it was the worst Square game I ever played. Presentation was horrendous.

Around the Network

Whoever did that one in that game where you try and save some princess.

Just for the sake of clarifying, all of you who mention Chrono Trigger's OST as one of Mitsuda's most memorable do indeed realise that Uematsu co-composed the soundtrack, right? -_-

Also, my vote goes to Uematsu.  Final Fantasy VI and VIII are the most memorable OSTs to me.

Yasunori Mitsuda craps all over Nobuo Uematsu. There is no other composer in videogames whose music is so good, I'll listen to it even if I never play the game.

I own the Xenogears, Xenosaga episode 1, and Chrono Cross OST's even though I hated Chrono Cross and Xenogears (didn't get halfway through them, they were lame), and never touched Xenosaga. I also imported Kirite, a work with no relation to videogames whatsoever, and one of my favorite works from Mitsuda (I just wish there wasn't any singing to detract from some of the songs). Mitsuda's celtic influences really stand out in his music and make his music incredibly unique, Uematsu is just another game composer as far as I'm concerned.

Currently playing: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, NBA2k11, Metal Gear Solid, Picross 3d

Nobuo Uematsu

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Nobuo Uematsu.