By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Going to buy an 80gig ps3 of a 20 gig 360

Man I cant take this anymore. I might be playing AC tomorrow with SMG. TIme to open up Fire Emblem!

我是广州人

Around the Network

I love reading these threads. Honestly the original poster didn't really give enough information for anyone to make a really sound recommendation. I would have highly recommended that the original poster have spent a few more weeks doing research before making a rash decision. Hopefully the original poster only looked and did not make a purchase.

While it is sexy to buy a console for a few games. The reality is you need to purchase a console for the complete package. No matter which console you choose your going to be making some sacrifices. The goal should be to get more of what you want. You need to compare libraries. Compare release lists. Compare the hardware advantages. Then compare the pricing. Have an equal eye to quality and quantity.

The one thing you do not want to do is end up with a console collecting dust six months from now. Thats when you really start to regret choices made. You need to think long term. Not what will suit you in the immediate future, but what will do for you for the next two or three years.

I will say this though. The PS3 is a risky venture at this point. Nobody knows how the console will pan out. There are a great many developer issues surrounding this particular platform. So you really need to be comfortable with the library, and the release list. Do not extrapolate hopeful scenarios you need to be happy with what is there. The future is not holding the guarantee that the 360 has, or even the Wii has at this particular moment. Both have sold enough to garner consistent support. While the PS3 has not, and consoles with that sales record do not always end up getting the greatest support from developers.

Really mull it over if your leaning towards the PS3. No matter what anyone tells you to the contrary you will be taking a gamble. In the end you buy a next generation console for next generation gaming.

If I was in your situation right now I would go with a PS3 as you are assured to have a long lasting system. buying a 360 first is risky cause you would only be playing it for longer periods of time without having anther system to play and that seems to be the common factor with RROD.

I bought a ps3 at launch and picked up a 360 early summer (1 and a half years after launch). no RROD on my 360 due to me playing both systems.

both systems have great games out and coming out.

also i would wait to find out what big MS game got canceled and Too human is still a possibility cause they are one of the few devs that haven't said it wasn't them.
Rare said not banjo, lionhead said not fable 2, and remedy said not alan wake.

grimygunz said:
If I was in your situation right now I would go with a PS3 as you are assured to have a long lasting system. buying a 360 first is risky cause you would only be playing it for longer periods of time without having anther system to play and that seems to be the common factor with RROD.

I bought a ps3 at launch and picked up a 360 early summer (1 and a half years after launch). no RROD on my 360 due to me playing both systems.

also i would wait to find out what big MS game got canceled and Too human is still a possibility cause they are one of the few devs that haven't said it wasn't them.

Had my 360 since launch, all i play, still have yet to get a rrod.

http://toohuman.net/index.php?option=com_joomlaboard&func=view&id=4809&catid=2

THe administrator says its not canceled, that and too human is not first party, and MS just held a preview for it for the press so i dont know why they would have it suddenly canceled.

Its most likely the marvel online crap

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
grimygunz said:

He's buying Super Mario Galaxy, so one would assume he already has a wii.

Around the Network
grimygunz said:

The RROD issues have largely been addressed in the new/upgraded hardware configurations available in all systems made after at least April of this year. I can attest to this as I had a launch console (which still works perfectly fine, given to brother), and the console I bought in August (made in July) is very solid: better DVD drive, much better heat-removal system (this is the important change). I literally play it everyday and have left it on an entire weekend playing a game. Granted, there will still be issues, as there are with all consoles; but I believe that they have lowered the rates of system failures to the industry standard level (or at least close to it).

In regards to the OP: I would normally always recommend a 360 to anyone who just wants to know which system is better because as of now (key word) it's the vastly superior gaming (second key word) system; but, given the games you listed above (despite how small the list is) and given the fact that you seem to be a very big MGS fan, I would probably recommend the PS3. So if money is no object in your decision (there is a 150 dollar price between the systems), I say get the PS3. However, with this recommendation, you should realize there are some caveats.

(As a disclaimer for what I'm about to write, I do not purposefully wish to portray the PS3 in a bad light. I just want to illuminate some realities of the current situation that the PS3 finds itself in at the moment. Please don't read this as a knock on Sony or the system...but rather as an honest evaluation.) So:

First of all, the PS3 is kinda in a transition phase right now. Sony is still trying to figure out what they want the system to be (Blu-ray player, media center, gaming system), and even though lately Sony has (thankfully) smartened up and started promoting it somewhat more as a gaming machine first and foremost, it remains to be seen how big of an effect Sony's marketing blunders this past year will make to the system. There are many uncertainties in the PS3's future, and a lot of the success is riding on some big assumptions (the exclusives will push consoles, and all those PS2 owners will be default purchase the PS3 are two of my favorites)...so there is some risk there.

Probably the largest issue for the PS3 currently is that it really is nothing like the PS2. If you're looking for a PS2 replacement, really at the moment the 360 is that. The majority of the multiplatform games are made on the 360 (like they were on the PS2) and ported to the PS3. This leads to serious issues with certain developers that don't have the funds to perfect the PS3 version...and some of the games suffer in quality as a result. This should be something you might want to keep in mind. I hope this trend changes soon, though, as it isn't good for the Sony or the industry.

However, despite these issues, I have no doubt in my mind that the PS3 will be around for a long time. It won't come close to being first in system sales (anyone with a grasp on reality can see this) and Sony with the PS3 will not come close to attaining the dominating role it had last generation with the PS2; but the system will definitely have some amazing games and it is a great media center machine.

You'll just have to learn to live with the fact, though, that the PS3 is not the PS2. It's not the lead platform this generation (for development), and as such it won't have a dominating presence in exclusives like Sony had previously. The competition this generation is fierce, and many PS exclusives will end up going multiplatform. For example, I would be willing to wager heavily that MGS4 will end up on the 360...it just won't be for a while (6-12 months). I do also believe Bioshock will probably go to the PS3 sometime next year as well...In reality, there will be very few exclusives, I think this generation because of the higher development costs. But, I foresee more PS exclusives jumping ship than I do 360 exclusives, mainly due to the larger installed base on the the 360...so this is also something to keep in mind.

Now, having said all of that, I do believe the PS3 is the better fit for you. Even though I'd normally recommend the 360 to most people because it's a great system with some really awesome games for it (this holiday for instance is going to make me go bankrupt just on all the quality releases), you seem to be a MGS lover at heart and so the PS3 is probably the system you'd be most happy with.

Even if the 360 gets MGS4 (which I believe it will), you'd have to wait for a while, maybe a year or more, to get to play it. You're already going to have to wait a while for MGS4 on the PS3 as it seems it just got delayed again, so the wait for it on the 360 would probably be unbearable. Could you wait this long? I get the feeling you wouldn't want to wait that long, so for this reason I recommend the PS3.

I would probably advise, if you could hold out for a bit, to wait till next year to buy. Doing so would allow you to see some things play out in the console race...and it'd give you a better grasp on the PS3 future, etc. But, you do seem adamant about playing AC now, so if you must have that game, then go for it. I bet that the 360 and PS3 versions of that game will be almost identical, and any minor differences will be nearly impossibly to decipher (to anyone other than the rabid fanboys, that is)...so the quality of AC on the PS3, in my opinion, shouldn't be an issue when buying the PS3.

So If/when you decide to get the PS3, just make sure you keep in mind the realities of Sony's current situation. The PS3, while an awesome gaming system with A LOT of potential right now, is not the PS2. There are many uncertainties about its future, and you'll just have to deal with those issues as they come about. 

I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do and above all Have Fun! That's what games are all about after all. Happy shopping.

PS: if you can find it, I would try to pick up the 60 GB (Full BC)

If you wanted AC it seems that the slight edge goes to the 360 version according to reviews. But after all the reviews you may want to get a better game for whatever system you buy.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling